COMPLETELY NEW TO RUNNING NEED HELP! (Read 407 times)

A Saucy Wench

I count breaths when I am trying to find race pace or double checking. For me 2-2 is racing pretty hard.  But for easy, I stick to conversational.  By default though if I do find myself breathing in rhythm with the steps I try for an odd total like 4-3 because I used to get side stitches easily and odd count helped a lot.  I'm pretty sure my body slips into odd count automatically now

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Sam79

Running the bath

I find mixing up the routes I run helps stop me getting bored, especially if I throw some trails into the mix as well. If you get a map of the local area, you should be able to spot a network of footpaths that might well introduce you to parts of your neighbourhood and countryside that you didnt know existed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sounds like you need a running partner.  Mostly, you lack confidence, and running with someone with a bit more experience would probably help a lot.

Can somebody help me understand what a 2-2, 4-3, 3-3 rhythm means?

I understand (in general) what you're trying to accomplish, but I can't figure out what you're counting.

Many thanks,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

A Saucy Wench

Can somebody help me understand what a 2-2, 4-3, 3-3 rhythm means?

I understand (in general) what you're trying to accomplish, but I can't figure out what you're counting.

Many thanks,

Steps per breath.  So 2-2 would be IN(Right left) OUT (Right left).  4-3 would be IN(Right left right left) out (right left right).

I dont recommend it for beginners unless you are struggling with side stitches or just cant make yourself slow down.  If you are having a hard time slowing down, counting what you ARE doing and then making yourself slow to a longer rhythm can help until you learn what easy feels like.

Odd counting can help with side stitches both to slow you down a bit and also some have a hard time filling/emptying the lowest lobe of the lung on the leading foot side and this alternates which foot is leading during that part of the breath

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Sarah_R

I use to only run on the treadmill until I found that running outside is so much more interesting and exciting, especially with a running buddy! I recently signed up for a half marathon and am slightly new at running long distance. Sadly the longest I have ran was 6 miles. I am starting a training program with a friend so looking forward to getting more use to running.  So any advice and help would be greatly appreciated Smile Thanks all

Better I Leave

I use to only run on the treadmill until I found that running outside is so much more interesting and exciting, especially with a running buddy! I recently signed up for a half marathon and am slightly new at running long distance. Sadly the longest I have ran was 6 miles. I am starting a training program with a friend so looking forward to getting more use to running.  So any advice and help would be greatly appreciated Smile Thanks all

Not gonna tell ya what to do Sarah, but I'll share the experience(s) leading to my first HM in 2011. 3 months prior to the Oakland HM I was running 4 miles "tops". I had never heard of Higdon or anyone else. I just figured I could do it...

And I did.

Yeah, I hurt myself...but I came in with a 2:18 for my very first HM...Not bad for a former "fatty" that was on meds less than one year prior IMO.

In 6 weeks I'll be entering into my 4th HM and I am shooting for a sub 2 hour. I think I can do it. I think I can do it because I really "think" I can do it....fuck the training programs...believe in yourself...and trust your body.

Sadly the longest I have ran was 6 miles.

While the mental aspect of distance racing is very important, so too is training specific to the event.  Long runs are important training for the HM. Everyone out there has an opinion about the long run.  Research that topic.  An example is linked below, with a great explanation of the physiological adaptions and benefits, albeit the mileage recommendations are geared towards elite marathoners.  Running for time is better if you are mid-pack or slower.  Getting a handle on the long run in training is both significant stimulus if you have never done them, as well as a great confidence booster in being able to run to the finish of a HM.  My suggestion: start at 90 minutes of continuous forward progress (walk breaks as needed), and work your way up to 2 hours of continuous running.  Do a long run at least every-other weekend.

http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/longruns.shtml

Not gonna tell ya what to do Sarah, but I'll share the experience(s) leading to my first HM in 2011. 3 months prior to the Oakland HM I was running 4 miles "tops". I had never heard of Higdon or anyone else. I just figured I could do it...

And I did.

Yeah, I hurt myself...but I came in with a 2:18 for my very first HM...Not bad for a former "fatty" that was on meds less than one year prior IMO.

In 6 weeks I'll be entering into my 4th HM and I am shooting for a sub 2 hour. I think I can do it. I think I can do it because I really "think" I can do it....fuck the training programs...believe in yourself...and trust your body.

All due respect, I have NEVER known anybody who won the Olympic medal by "thinking".  Hate to say, but any healthy individual can run a 2-hour half marathon.  It's nothing of a "proof" that "thinking positive" can bring you through a wonderful thing.

If you really think "thinking positive" can get you to run 2:10 marathon, good luck.

The other thing I find for me is that the first 5 minutes are fine, but from 5 to 10 minutes for some reason is hard.  I'm tired and winded.  But I work through it, and then it's fine -- I'm not winded, I can carry on a conversation, etc.  I'm up to 30 minutes running now but still, that 5 to 10 minute mark is still hard to push through.  I always do though, and it's always great afterwards.

Michelle

Mostly harmless

The other thing I find for me is that the first 5 minutes are fine, but from 5 to 10 minutes for some reason is hard.  I'm tired and winded.  But I work through it, and then it's fine -- I'm not winded, I can carry on a conversation, etc.  I'm up to 30 minutes running now but still, that 5 to 10 minute mark is still hard to push through.  I always do though, and it's always great afterwards.

I used to experience that too, but not so much anymore.  My guess is that you don't warm up enough (or at all) before you run.  If you can, try adding a few minutes of warm-up time before you start running. Walk at a quick pace for 2 or 3 minutes to get your legs warmed up and then jog nice and slow for a couple more before you pick up the pace at all.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

I used to experience that too, but not so much anymore.  My guess is that you don't warm up enough (or at all) before you run.  If you can, try adding a few minutes of warm-up time before you start running. Walk at a quick pace for 2 or 3 minutes to get your legs warmed up and then jog nice and slow for a couple more before you pick up the pace at all.

I walk for something close to that amount of time before I start running but you're still probably right -- I could walk at a faster clip, for a little longer.  I'll try that.  I just need to run more too... while I used to think that logic was weird, I've found it's absolutely true.  I try to go 4x/week now instead of 2 or 3.  It really does make a difference.

Michelle

A Saucy Wench

That has always happened to me.  +/- some degree of difficulty, but it never really changes.  Personally unless you have something that will get injured warming up with walking didnt help me at all.  Go easy till you get through it, but just ride it out.