Gah, HTFU already, legs! (Read 600 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gah, my runs since my PRd HM race on Sat. have been really miserable. Yesterday wasn't too bad...slow, but not terrible (and the last mile I really felt good and picked up the pace a bit--no pain). I wasn't surprised that Monday's run was rough and I had to walk a lot--it was only 2 days after the race. But today I am frustrated. 5 days post-race and my lower legs feel sore, stiff, weak...like trying to run on cinder blocks. My knees feel like they don't want to bend and I just generally feel like my legs don't want to support me. It's not specific pains like shin splints, just general aching and weakness. I don't recall ever having issues like this almost a week after a race--especially after having a decent run and feeling mostly recovered the previous day. WTF?! Someone tell me that they've been through this before and that I will soon feel better. I want to do 9 miles or so tomorrow and 11 on Sun. with my friend who is running my next HM with me.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Think Whirled Peas

The rest days didn't help, eh? Have you thought about getting a massage? Sorry, I can't help much. I just haven't really run long enough to give much assistance, but it seems like a deep muscle massage might aid the recovery process.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, that does sound good...gonna have to put did and "The Stick" (no, not THAT stick, ya' perverts!) to work tonite. My legs don't really hurt during normal activities and walking...but as soon as I try to run it's like I've never run before and my lower body feels completely disfunctional.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think that for at least one week after such a big race, you can afford to LTFU (lighten...). After all, you quite possible managed to PR at 5 distances last weekend in the same race (5k, 10k, 15k, 10M, HM) based on your average pace. The Stick does do wonders on sore muscles. (So does a hot bath and a glass of wine). LTFU on your miles until Sunday, then back to HTFU!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...good, so I'm not just bein' a complete wuss. It's odd, though...I just really thought I was in the recovery clear after finishing yesterday's run feeling so good. My legs had other ideas, I guess. Gah, I am thisclose to hitting 1k miles for the year, too. I wanted to run 8-9 miles for tomorrow, but I think maybe I will go for 5-6, if anything. That would at least get me up to my 1000 miles by the end of this week. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay