Can you do this? (Read 1672 times)

Can you do this?

http://roxdoesyoga.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/cimg5984.jpg

I used to be able to sit in this position with my nose touching my knees, and now I cant even remotely get close to touching my feet.  I try to stretch after running but there's no give.  I get that runners are supposed to be tight, I just wonder if I'm a freak that should stretch more or whether this is fairly normal. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yup...but I never could do the splits, even at my most flexible.  I knew people who could do the splits and not touch their toes even standing, though.  I can still go pretty much flat-palmed on the floor, even with short arms and legs and long torso.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

No, but can you do this?! Not implying I can, or anything.  I'm laughably inflexible and stationary.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

No, but can you do this?! Not implying I can, or anything.  I'm laughably inflexible and stationary.

Damn, I'm not sure some of the whitetails in our neck of the woods could do that! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

keeponrunning

I can almost do the first one.  My finger can touch the floor.  The second thing, I'm with Zoomy.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Can you do this?

http://roxdoesyoga.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/cimg5984.jpg

I used to be able to sit in this position with my nose touching my knees, and now I cant even remotely get close to touching my feet.  I try to stretch after running but there's no give.  I get that runners are supposed to be tight, I just wonder if I'm a freak that should stretch more or whether this is fairly normal. 

With knees slightly bent.  I can sure feel it in my hamstrings.

Kalsarikännit

My New Year's resolution is to do 20+ minutes of stretching in the morning and again in the evening.  I was in real bad shape.  It was embarrassing going to a yoga class.  I was as inflexible as the worst man in the class.  I am kind of floored how much of a difference two weeks of daily work can make.  I am not doing Chinese splits by any means, but I can see a difference.  I wonder how long this will go on.  Is there a stretching/flexibility plateau?

Either way, I am going to stick with it as long as I can.  Then I am going to head off and join the circus.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

it sounds like I need to work on my flexibility.  When I do a stretch like that, it feels like I'm trying to stretch a plank of wood, and it's a frivilous activity.  I guess I need to be more consistent.  I don't plan on going to any yoga class, but I should be able to pick up the morning paper without looking like a giraffe drinking water.

Approve exactly!

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Some years back before starting running I realized how tight I let this broken down old body get and went on a campaign to be able to touch my toes. I did yoga variations and finally settled on Sun Salutations as my goto exercise for stretching just about everything. I did a couple every morning and evening for two years before being able to finally touch my toes w/o bent knees. Kept that up after the heart attack and starting running in July 08 but then let it slip for lack of time. In late Dec I started going to a Chiropractor because I pulled my back and couldn't walk let alone run - I looked like a really crippled up broken down old 65 yo ugly guy (not far from that normally anyway!Shocked) One of the things the Chiro measured was flexibility and 'surprise' I couldn't touch my toes! by a long shot! After talking to him he said ok to Sun Salutations as well as seeing him 3x/week for the last 4 weeks. Well as of the end of last week I can now touch my toes with straight knees, and hold it there while breathing! I sure hope I don't give that ability up again!

As to that young lady, I can only touch my toes in the sitting position.

Has anyone seen Dr. Oz's 7 min exercise routing on AARP? His hand touch flat on the floor! Talk about flexible!

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I can touch my nose to my knees when sitting (like the first picture).  I stretch every day though.  I can't jump anywhere near as high as the guy in the video though.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

vegefrog

I can touch my nose to my knees when sitting (like the first picture). 

Me too. I take a yoga/tai chi/pilates class 2 times a week and it has increased my flexibility. Before I started doing it, I could hardly even reach down and touch my toes in that position!

wow, some people may call you showoffs  Blush

I'm at least glad to hear that you started off where I'm at and you weren't naturally more advanced, so I'm not a total freak of nature.  Thank you all! 

mikeymike

I can't do this:

Runners run