tri equipment (Read 1177 times)

keeponrunning

June.  Water will be cold, but I'll live.  It's only a max of 75m. 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

ben8010

I'm pretty decent at Tris, usually finish in the top 5% of races, have won a few local little ones, and all the people around me have all this fancy expensive gear.  For sprint through olympic distance, I wear an underarmor sleeveless and an old pair of bike shorts for the whole thing and never change.  If its under two hours, you can get by on water stations, gu/powerbars, and a pair of bottles on the bike, strap on your repair kit under the seat and you don't need any pockets from a bike shirt. 

If you well funded or a little better than me and sponsored, there are mountains of great clothes that might or might take a few seconds off your time or make it mentally feel like you are playing a role (some just need to feel like they are hardcore by dressing up, but those are the ones I like to beat the most).

I'd spend the time training, instead of clothes shopping.  Good luck!  

I'm pretty decent at Tris, usually finish in the top 5% of races, have won a few local little ones, and all the people around me have all this fancy expensive gear.  For sprint through olympic distance, I wear an underarmor sleeveless and an old pair of bike shorts for the whole thing and never change.  If its under two hours, you can get by on water stations, gu/powerbars, and a pair of bottles on the bike, strap on your repair kit under the seat and you don't need any pockets from a bike shirt. 

If you well funded or a little better than me and sponsored, there are mountains of great clothes that might or might take a few seconds off your time or make it mentally feel like you are playing a role (some just need to feel like they are hardcore by dressing up, but those are the ones I like to beat the most).

I'd spend the time training, instead of clothes shopping.  Good luck!  

too funny, and so true. I think I read in a tri magazine about all this expensive equipment, and in particular the light bikes.The article stated that unless you're in it for winning, and have a legit shot at winning, save your money. Those few ounces are only going to save you a few seconds over the course of a long bike ride. 

I recall my one and only tri. I'm not a good biker or swimmer.  However, during the bike portion, I was passing up lots of expensive bikes on my $200 fuji 12 speed, and I was also passed by quite a few guys on mountain bikes.  Bottom line, it wasn't the equipment.

keeponrunning

i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who doesn't want to spend a lot of time or money shopping.  I am considering just wearing my spandex shorts, instead of tri shorts.  Kinda forgot I had a longer pair- used to only have a real short pair.  I  haven't exactly had a chance to wear them recently lol...been too cold.  I'll see how much they would cost me, then decide. I am definetely going to be riding my cheap(er) mountain bike...i'm not exactly overflowing with money.  The tri itself is expensive enough, without adding to it.

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only reason I would want tri shorts is that the thought of trying to run in a regular chamois sorta creeps me out.  I don't even like walking around in regular bike shorts.  Feel like I have a diaper on...ick.  Tri chamois are usually really thin and not bulky like the chamois designed for long rides.  Google Shopping search is great for finding deals on stuff.  I refuse to pay full retail for most things.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

keeponrunning

The spandex I have are for running and are nice and thin.  They would probably be mostly if not all dry b/f I got to the running portion. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm looking at a couple of duathlons this year, so dry is not the issue, it's bulk.  And you definitely wouldn't want to wear a regular chamois for a tri...I think they're pretty spongelike.  My butt doesn't do well without some chamois between it and the saddle.  If you can get away chamois-free, then it seems like that's a very low-cost way to do things.

~ Sarah Kay

keeponrunning

chamois=diaper-look=chaffing 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

chamois=diaper-look=chaffing 

Not all chamois are so diaper-like.  I am really liking the Sugoi Evolution Shorty shorts I recently purchased.  The chamois is thinner, but a denser foam.  I don't care for the Pearl Izumi Sugar shorts I had been wearing.  Big, poofy, thick chamois, but it didn't make my butt any comfier.

~ Sarah Kay

Drum

I have a related question.  I've always worn a one-piece tri suit and am looking this year to get a separate bottom and top.  Does any one have any favorite brand tops/bottoms?  I ordered a top online in a medium (I'm normally a S to M) and it felt like an XXS!  I realize most tri gear runs small, I'd love to know your favorites!  Thanks!
                      protoplasm72

I have a related question.  I've always worn a one-piece tri suit and am looking this year to get a separate bottom and top.  Does any one have any favorite brand tops/bottoms?  I ordered a top online in a medium (I'm normally a S to M) and it felt like an XXS!  I realize most tri gear runs small, I'd love to know your favorites!  Thanks!

You really just have to try on a bunch of different ones.  I have zoot shirts that fit well and ones that don't.  All the brands have different styles that are cut completely differently.  They also change styles from year to year so now I always just buy shirts in actual stores where I can try them on.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson