Dodgy Leg Pain - Help (Read 423 times)

KAJ

I am 4 weeks away from my first marathon and struggling to get a physio appointment so close to Xmas so any advice would be much appreciated. I felt a pain at left side of left knee around 14 miles last weekend it was a bit like a dead leg at first which spread, I couldn't complete my run, as every time my foot touched the ground the pain became too much to take. I hobbled home and rested for a few days, then during a 6 miler, similar pain returned after a couple of miles but it eased off and I was able to complete my run without any issues. However, during my long run this weekend I first felt the pain as I was going downhill after 8 miles I had to stop and walk for a mile until the waves of pain passed and leg eased off. I was able to run for another 4 miles no problem then suddenly it came back again with a vengence, this time I could hardly even walk, sharp shooting pains every time I took a step. It didn't ease and I had to walk the rest of the way home. Unfortunately most of this was downhill which made it even worse! I found walking backwards helped - I looked a right fool! The pain is so intense but sporadic and I'm wondering if I have trapped something? It doesn't feel muscular, never heard or felt anything popping, my leg just seems to seize up from the knee?? I honestly have never felt pain like this before. I can walk ok now but I'm conscious of a dull ache at the side of my knee which is worse when going down stairs etc. Any ideas?
    spacityrunner

While I am no expert, this sounds a lot like ITBS (Illiotibial band syndrome). When I had it on my right leg, that is exactly what would happen to me. Strengthen the core, foam roller, and rest. That is what I had to do. For me it would flare up at about mile 7. Then, after a while, it would hurt anytime I would run. Then, after rest, I could get to mile 9 or 10. It took a couple of years, but I was finally able to complete a 10 miler without any pain. If you Google it, you will get lots of ideas for exercises and remedies. Good luck to you!!!

Trails Rock!