Swollen hands during half marathon (Read 382 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I ran the Decker Challenge (very hilly half marathon) yesterday in humid 72F weather. On the back end of the race I noticed that my hands looked and felt swollen. I think my hydration was ok, no sure about electrolytes tho. I carried 24oz bottle of water, lemon, honey mix that I had been using during training. My Urologist told me to stay away from sports drinks since they can aggravate one's bladder, and I have an over active bladder which I take medication for. I did not have any bladder problems during the race and finished w/o needing a bio break. I am also on heart, cholesterol, blood pressure, and bladder medications in addition to an antibiotic that was started last week for possible prostate infection. I also took my morning medications before the race. During training I waited until after long runs, but race started at 8am and since I expected it to take me over 3hrs thought I should do the meds before - that could have been a mistake. the morning dose is Plavix & Labetalol. I did drink water or Gatorade at every water stop. Switched to Gatorade mid way thru when I realized hands were swelling and I was crashing, also had 6 shot blocks in the back half - I was thinking electrolytes but of course any thinking at that point has got to be suspect! I finished about 20oz of my water bottle by the time I got to the finish.

Any ideas as to why my hands were swelling?

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

an amazing likeness

I think it's just blood pooling, Bob, from your hands spending time low and bent and in a fairly fixed position for a couple hours. I find it happening on longer runs, and every now and then just shake them above shoulder height or make a fist or two to flex them and help with circulation.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

CeeDotA

I don't know if my hands actually swell during long runs -- I haven't actually bothered to look. But they sure FEEL swollen. I think what the previous poster said makes sense -- blood pools in your hands from being in that position for so long. Given that, I make a point of remembering to run a few paces here and there with my arms dangling straight down to get circulation going again. That, or making use of a stoplight/crossing to do the same.

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K

oriwoi

spam

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Thanks guys, makes sense. Even doing run/walk the walk interval is not with arms down, more like power walk so blood pooling makes sense. Will have to monitor during long runs leading up to 1/13/2013 3M Half that I registered for yesterday.

cheers ya'll!

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I also had trouble with my hands swelling during long runs.  It was back when I was trying long runs that were too long for my mileage base.  It was not my imagination because my wedding ring got real tight, and it was difficult to make a fist.  That was back when my base first hit 20 MPW. 

SanGD

Soak your hand in warm water mixed with one teaspoon of salt for half an hour. repeat the process two to three times a day. You will soon get relief from the swollen hands.