Running Events and Live Music (Read 790 times)

Scout7

Well, you've said it yourself. There's no universal answer here, because there's no universal BPM that people are going to appreciate. Bagpipes. Best bet.
      I have some bagpipe music on my iPod. I LOVE bagpipes!

Beatin' on the Rock

I'd ask you to play "Upwardly Mobile", and follow me around! From OP: I am not asking for song suggestions, though -- I play songs for a living. I'm asking what BPM seems reasonable to play at events with thousands of runners. ... I think Podrunner has been so hugely successful is because it uses music that is practically genetically engineered for working out, and that has rarely been heard by most listeners.
        "Upwardly Mobile" is one of YOUR mixes, Steve... Wink And, IMHO, something along those lines is exactly what you're looking for, right? Think about it: at a race, no matter where they set you, as long as you're increasing BPM systematically, you're going to be at about the right pace, reaching crescendo at the end. Isn't that the goal, of workout music - AND a race?
        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
        dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

"Upwardly Mobile" is one of YOUR mixes, Steve... Wink
          It is? Is it any good? God, I need a vacation. Or a secretary. If I had to choose, I'd pick secretary. I like the idea of a ramp mix! Thank you!
          Steve Boyett
          Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
          Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
          dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Bagpipes. Best bet.
            "A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes but chooses not to." -- Oscar Wilde. Wink
            Steve Boyett

Beatin' on the Rock

God, I need a vacation. Or a secretary. If I had to choose, I'd pick secretary.
              I know a gal... Big grin
              Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
              dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Smile Smile Seriously, I'm freaked at what we've done in the last month. We launched Intervals and it went to #1 in a week. We're going to launch a dedicated Podrunner website in a week or so. I started "Birthday Beats" to celebrate Podrunner's 2nd birthday and have done a mix every two days for two weeks. We have finalized a campaign with a major corporate sponsor & I have done an exclusive mix for them. I've been asked to DJ at three running events and one major athletic convention. I'm working with a well-known running coach who has offered to design the next Podrunner: Intervals series. And that's about half of it! I make every effort to answer my listener emails, and I am now months behind and it bothers me a lot. Do I have time to go running in the midst of all this? Hell no! I sit on a chair all day and code websites, answer business emails, audition tracks, or make mixes. One day I'll appear at some big athletic event to DJ, and I will be completely spherical. What was that noise? Was that the air rushing in to fill the void as Steve's credibility went pop? Leave it to me to complain about something I made up becoming successful. I'm really liking the ramp-mix idea for DJing running events!
                Steve Boyett
                  Well, I think it's super cool that you are taking the time to research this for the racers.
                  dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Well, I think it's super cool that you are taking the time to research this for the racers.
                    Thank you! I'm very aware that nobody is showing up there to hear me; I'm supposed to be there to help them. "Hey -- HEY -- will you people stop running and listen? I'm pourin' myheart out here" Smile
                    Steve Boyett