Kettlebells ? (Read 275 times)

running metalhead

I'm planning on buying a pair of Kettlebells (a light one of 12kg and a heavier of 16-18kg). Right now the price is quite good for a quality kettlebell so that I have no excuse.

I'm right now searching for good workouts and guides to correct form as I am already aware that these weights have to be used with utter care and very good form.

My aim is to do a few minutes of lighter workout every morning before going to work with the lighter ones and a "real" workout" 3 times a week during the racing season and 5 or more during the "off-period"

The recommended weight for my level in normal weights is 14kg -16kg but I am afriad that this may be too much for certain exercises and too little for others.

Is anybody here using these things? Does it make sense to get a pair of 10kg ? Any good online resources?

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

why don't you get adjustable dumbells or an ajustable kettlebell.

That way you can do more exercises.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Village people

Why are they any better than weights or are they the same?

running metalhead

why don't you get adjustable dumbells or an ajustable kettlebell.

That way you can do more exercises.

Because of the price and the noise: 

A good quality adjustable kettlebell costs as much as 4 normal ones (they run between the 20 and the 30 EUR). There are handles to which you can attach dumbbell discs but I want something that allows me to train early without making too much noise, so that these are not an option.

I do already have adjustable dumbbells, but the type of training with kettlebells is very different as the classical weight training with dumbbells, hence my question. I am used to 'normal' lifting and strength training and I plan to combine both specially during the two or three months I take off the trails and roads.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

I'm planning on buying a pair of Kettlebells (a light one of 12kg and a heavier of 16-18kg). Right now the price is quite good for a quality kettlebell so that I have no excuse.

I'm right now searching for good workouts and guides to correct form as I am already aware that these weights have to be used with utter care and very good form.

My aim is to do a few minutes of lighter workout every morning before going to work with the lighter ones and a "real" workout" 3 times a week during the racing season and 5 or more during the "off-period"

The recommended weight for my level in normal weights is 14kg -16kg but I am afriad that this may be too much for certain exercises and too little for others.

Is anybody here using these things? Does it make sense to get a pair of 10kg ? Any good online resources?

I am also using a pair of kettlebells which I bought from http://www.xtrainingequipment.com/Kettlebells_c_9.html last year. Using kettlebells for workout is indeed very beneficial  in improving  full body strength, mobility & flexibility, power and endurance. However, just like any other types of fitness equipment these are only safe if used properly.

kaleidoscopeEyes

I'm a scrawny female, definitely not a bodybuilder, and started off with a 15-pound and 20-pound (7-10 kg) kettlebell.  I was wanting to move up in weight after ~3 or so months.

You probably don't have to worry about 12-16 kg being too much.  At least, not for the ballistic, momentum-based movements.

For the controlled movements, you want to start with a weight that you can overhead press about 10 times (8-12 kgs for guys).

Do you have anything where you live, where you can test kettlebells out to experiment with weights?  I just went to a Wal-mart to get a feel for the different weights, before I went online to purchase.   The kettlebells I have are the CAP brand, and I just got them off of Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-45--Pounds-Kettlebell/dp/B003J9M6I8/

When you say you want to get 'a pair of 10 kg', are you talking about TWO 10-kg kettlebells?  No, you don't want to do that.  You want to get 1 lighter kettlebell, and 1 heavier kettlebell.  You don't want to get 2 of the same weight.

There's a lot of good info here about kettlebells, brands, workouts, guides, form:

http://www.reddit.com/r/kettlebell/comments/igosn/the_great_and_ongoing_kettlebell_review/

mikejasonlee

Link spam
                finbad

Hi I go to a kettlebells class once a week and also have one bell at home (I also like the ability to do a quiet workout)

I would recommend a few classes to get the basic moves as it is easy for a gym instructor to give you a few tips to avoid bad form. Also the full-length mirrors in the gym are good for getting your posture correct. You'd also get the chance to try a few different weights.

On the weight, I'd suggest going heavier as a kettlebell that is too light just wont get used. A heavy one you can just reduce the reps. If you're going to buy 2 I'd get a lighter one that you can do Halo, slow overhead press and high pull exercises and a bigger one that is heavy enough to give you a good amount of effort during a basic two handed swing and squat.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Kettle bells have been around since around 1880.

i never understood the new fad about them

My go to resource for kettlebells is Pavel. who has been teaching and writing books since at least 2001. While you could still call it a fad, I I wouldn't call it a new fad.

Here's where I would start with kettlebells for programming: Simple and Sinister by Pavel

Depending on your strength, a 12KG and a 16KG may be a great place to start - depending on your goals and program. I found them perfect to start S&S (the program above) and eventually purchased 20, 24, 28, and 32KG.

A pair of 10KGs might be a waste. I would get started with a program before I decided to invest in doubles - give yourself some time to understand what you need. I out grew my 12 and 16KG bells in a matter of weeks, where the 20 and 24 provided enough challenge for months - again your mileage may vary depending on strength and program choice.

As mentioned above, a class or some StrongFirst videos off youtube for your form would be a good idea. Some of the ballistic movements like swings can be an easy way to injure your back with sufficient weight - if your form isn't halfway decent.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I have 2 of pavels books on stretching

i am not trying to be a troll but I just dont understand

the purpose of kettlebells

I have 2 of pavels books on stretching

i am not trying to be a troll but I just dont understand

the purpose of kettlebells

IMO there is nothing magic about kettlebells - I consider them as just another exercise tool. Just like barbells, dumbbells, running, cycling, or kayaking.

I find the simplicity of kettlebells attractive. My selection is limited. They are not fancy. No one is as impressed with 100 kettlebell swings compared to say a 3 or 4 plate deadlift. And although I prefer the comfort of working with them on an exercise mat, I can easily use them in the yard or on the beach. It is very similar to my attraction to running.

Depending on my mood, I also enjoy lifting heavy weights with the barbell - in the squat rack. Right now my favorite exercise is racking up the miles on my beach cruiser with reggae tunes playing on my bluetooth speaker.

Different tools for different things or moods or people.

Having said all that, I feel you are missing out if you haven't tried a turkish get up with a heavy kettlebell. I find them challenging and satisfying in a strange way.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

strambo

I've been into KBs since 2002 and have a bunch.  Most of mine are Dragondoor bells.  However, if I could start over, all my bells would be like these: https://www.kettlebellsusa.com/16kg-35-lb-paradigm-pro-elite-precision-steel-competition-kettlebell-33mm-handle-diameter-free-shipping.html

The "competition" style bells have the same size, shape, and handle size no matter the weight.  So, the balance, grip and feel is the same.  I have a few competition bells and have been thinking of selling my classic ones and slowly replacing them all.

You are right not to consider an adjustable one, the balance and size is all wonky.  Definitely start with a 16kg, no lighter.  The way you use them isn't like dumbbells.

They are just tools that like most tools, excel in certain areas and are deficient in others.  They are great for high rep strength, strength-endurance and anaerobic cardio work while also working the grip.  They are size efficient, you don't need many.  I took my 24kg bell to Afghanistan and got into killer shape with it.  I went through the "Enter The Kettlebell" routine ("Simple and Sinister" is the new version of that).

They can be used like dumbbells for traditional strength work, but that is not their strong suit.  However, when used this way they are more challenging and recruit more stabilizer muscles due to the weight not being balanced.

strambo

I wouldn't buy a pair to start.  Working with 2 bells is exponentially harder than one.

For a man, I would buy in this order: 16 kg, then once you get pretty good with it add a heavier one, either 20kg or 24kg.  Then for the 3rd bell either a 2nd 16kg or a next heavier one up like a 30-32kg depending on whether you want to focus more on strength or cardio.

Working with a pair of lighter bells makes for a brutal cardio workout.

For women: 1st bell should be an 8 or 9kg, then can add a 12kg later.

They aren't dangerous (I haven't hurt myself with one ever, 16 years of use), but you do have to be "present" when working with them which is what I like.  They aren't a tool to zone out with, but then you shouldn't be doing that with any resistance training!

Hobie1

I have several kettlebells.  I have a 16Kg and two 45# (20Kg).   Don't go any lighter than 16kg.

I purchased from Christian's Fitness (CFF Fit) and Kettlebell Kings.

Kettlebell Kings has a free video workout channel on youtube which is pretty handy.  Pavel's books are great.