running store anxiety (Read 1143 times)

I"m buying new shoes today,  and I'm actually nervous? How weird is that?   

This is my plan, I just want to ask them to bring out 3 or 4 light weight neutrals.    And if that's not enough, 3 or 4 more.   And more if necessary, since I"m looking for a new shoe.    Last time, the guy talked me into getting Adidas Adistar Ride, which were too big and clunky, not to mention heavy.  

I'm I the only one who dreads this?    I just hate feeling pressured.      

- Anya

JimR

Maybe you're in the wrong store.

Best Present Ever

Sounds like a bad store.  I love our local store, and often stop in just to say hi. (It's on my way to work -- I walk).   I've never felt pressured to buy anything. In fact, they had a running  fashion show a few weeks ago.  The wife of the owner narrated and would say things like "some folks love this jacket,so we carry it,  but it's really pricey!  Here, this next one, it's a much better deal.  Plus that other one, it's too hot anyway."  

jeffdonahue

I'm with the other posters.  I think you need a new store.

When I go into my store, I never feel any pressure to buy any particular brand of shoes.  And even if I walk out with nothing because I couldnt find one that felt right, they seem fine with that.

BeeRunB

Buy on-line at places like Eastbay.com and Zappos.

Cheaper and no pressure.

I've found that getting to know the people at the store solves that problem.  Also, focus on what you are trying to accomplish... getting shoes that work for you.  If you don't like what they are handing you, tell them the shoes aren't working for you.  They should understand if they are runners.  They should also give you plenty of time to walk around the store in the shoes ... and perhaps even let you run outside or on a treadmill to see how they feel.  My local running shop insists you go for a little run before handing them a credit card.

That said, there is one store in my area that I don't go to because the owner is a bit too odd.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

xor

Buy on-line at places like Eastbay.com and Zappos.

Cheaper and no pressure.

Not if you are the type who wants/needs to try out 3-4 different shoes, and 3-4 more if that's not enough.   Which, well, it is hard for lots of folks to find the 'just right' shoe. 

Hey, nice marmot!

I"m buying new shoes today,  and I'm actually nervous?      

Is this a question?  I don't know, are you nervous?  This statement/question has confused and frightened me.

How weird is that? 

I'll assume that you are nervous about going to the running store.  I would say this is "rather" weird.  If I must quantify it, I'd say that on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "Ben Stein" and 10 being "Marilyn Manson", being nervous about going to the running store ranks around a high 3 to low 4.

You may very well be the only one who dreads this.  Don't stand for it!  By going to their store, you're doing them the favor.  They should be nervous that you're coming.  In fact, here's what they're talking about right now.

Employee #1  "You hear who's coming by later?"

Employee #2  "Yeah, Kara Goucher.  But she's here all the time and she'll probably bring Adam."

E1:  "No, I was talking about Anya."

E2:  "ZOMG!!  The Anya?!?  Coming here?!?"

E1:  "I wouldn't lie to you about this."

E2:  "ZOMG!!  I think I just peed a little."

E1:  "Dude, gross!  But I understand the sentiment."

E2:  "I have to go clean myself up, but, ANYA'S COMING, ANYA'S COMING, ANYA'S COMING!!!!!"

E2:  "This is probably the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me!"

E1:  "Obviously.  You better not embarass me in front of her or I'll be hella pissed!"

E2:  "Did you just say 'hella'?  Nobody says 'hella' anymore."

E1:  "Sure they do.  I just saw it the other day on myspace."

E2:  "Dude, NOBODY is on myspace anymore."

E1:  "Go away.  Leave me alone, you smell like pee."

E2:  "What, you gonna go get online.  Dial up with your modem?  Maybe log on to Prodigy?  Use that free disk they sent you?"

Well, the conversation goes downhill from there, but just know that you have nothing to be nervous about.  Running store employees are far more nervous about you than you are of them.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

I"m buying new shoes today,  and I'm actually nervous? How weird is that?   

This is my plan, I just want to ask them to bring out 3 or 4 light weight neutrals.    And if that's not enough, 3 or 4 more.   And more if necessary, since I"m looking for a new shoe.    Last time, the guy talked me into getting Adidas Adistar Ride, which were too big and clunky, not to mention heavy.  

Are you having a laugh?

Anyway, it is your money and your feet. Don't get bullied into buying something you don't want. If you feel pressure, leave.

xor

I think you guys are being a little harsh and potentially dismissive.  (I'm being sincere, not jokey).

Not everybody has access to tons of running stores to pick and choose from.

Not everybody magically knows "the right shoe".

It's not always easy to separate "I'm being pressured" from "I'm getting good advice".

Some people have dealt with injuries/conditions and we all get confusing feedback about whether that's something biomechanical we should "fix" (or instruction on HOW) versus just finding the right shoe versus this versus that.  It is very easy to convince ourselves that "I suck" or "that running store employee sucks".  It could be either one, or both... but likely it is neither, not really.

Then Born to Run comes along and slaps everyone around.

Yes, Anya, some folks get very apprehensive about the running store.

Don't put up with douchebag sales people.  And don't put up with excessive pressure. That said, DO take advice.  But only if it is good advice.

wannaberunner

I look my best blurry!

I've been through this at a store the WAS ranked in the top 50 in the country last year.  Not anymore!  Ha! Ha!  The owner acted like a  know-it-all that wanted to tell me what I needed without any real discussion.  Nobby had suggested that I look at a pair of shoes and when I asked about them he told me they were all wrong for me.  They didn't have them in stock.  Go figure.  Please!  I have been back a couple of times, once for a good form running clinic.  I was wearing Newtons, a brand they don't sell and they berated my shoes!  I happen to like my Newtons and I've set all my PRs in them since June.  They aren't "crap" to me and it was just rude.  I'm done with that store.  Not going back.

There is another store near me that is the complete opposite.  They will order me anything I want if they don't have it.  They are always excited and happy to hear about my racing.  They care about me as a customer and my needs.  They've sold me shoes that I didn't end up really liking and they begged me to return them.  I didn't and I just use them for walking instead.  This store is in the current top 50!  Woo hoo! 

Are you having a laugh?

Anyway, it is your money and your feet. Don't get bullied into buying something you don't want. If you feel pressure, leave.

Yes, I'm having a laugh!!  

- Anya

Is this a question?  I don't know, are you nervous?  This statement/question has confused and frightened me.

I'll assume that you are nervous about going to the running store.  I would say this is "rather" weird.  If I must quantify it, I'd say that on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "Ben Stein" and 10 being "Marilyn Manson", being nervous about going to the running store ranks around a high 3 to low 4.

You may very well be the only one who dreads this.  Don't stand for it!  By going to their store, you're doing them the favor.  They should be nervous that you're coming.  In fact, here's what they're talking about right now.

Employee #1  "You hear who's coming by later?"

Employee #2  "Yeah, Kara Goucher.  But she's here all the time and she'll probably bring Adam."

E1:  "No, I was talking about Anya."

E2:  "ZOMG!!  The Anya?!?  Coming here?!?"

E1:  "I wouldn't lie to you about this."

E2:  "ZOMG!!  I think I just peed a little."

E1:  "Dude, gross!  But I understand the sentiment."

E2:  "I have to go clean myself up, but, ANYA'S COMING, ANYA'S COMING, ANYA'S COMING!!!!!"

E2:  "This is probably the most exciting thing that's ever happened to me!"

E1:  "Obviously.  You better not embarass me in front of her or I'll be hella pissed!"

E2:  "Did you just say 'hella'?  Nobody says 'hella' anymore."

E1:  "Sure they do.  I just saw it the other day on myspace."

E2:  "Dude, NOBODY is on myspace anymore."

E1:  "Go away.  Leave me alone, you smell like pee."

E2:  "What, you gonna go get online.  Dial up with your modem?  Maybe log on to Prodigy?  Use that free disk they sent you?"

Well, the conversation goes downhill from there, but just know that you have nothing to be nervous about.  Running store employees are far more nervous about you than you are of them.

very funny :-)

- Anya

Yes, Anya, some folks get very apprehensive about the running store.

I am, that's for sure.  I'm glad I"m not the only one.   I am still dreading it. 

- Anya

Wanna hear from a guy who used to work in a running store?

Sometimes customers can be really annoying, but I would always try to put them into as many shoes as they wanted.  And I always insisted that they take a run in them, while I watched to see if the shoes did what they were supposed to do (control motion, etc).  (standard policy at the store I worked at, and if you didn't do that, you got a talkin' to by the owner)

But, if you tried on 8 pair of shoes, and I spent over an hour with you, and you didn't buy a pair, I wouldn't get angry to you, but when I walked in the back i certainly would jokingly complain to my co-workers.  But, that's life, we didn't work on commission.  We got paid whether we sold shoes or not.  No skin off our backs.

But what *did* make us angry was spending 45 minutes with a customer (which was not unusual), and having them walk out knowing that they were going to go on-line and buy the same set of shoes they just tried on (which was actually unusual).

You could tell which ones were going to do that by the questions they asked.  Sometimes you would even see them write the name of the shoe down on a piece of paper, or take a picture of it with their cell phone.

In general, though, most employees at running stores (NOT Dicks, Sports Authority, etc) have no problem fitting you in at least 3 pair of shoes (we automatically would bring out 3 pair of what we thought would work), and spending the time.  People who work in specialty running stores have a vested interest in getting customers to return, and should treat customers with respect and courtesy.  Otherwise, they would be out of a job.

If you run into a store that does not do that, go somewhere else, if possible.

By the way, one of my co-workers opened her own store in another location, and the nearest store to her...the owner is a total bitch, and she is reaping the benefits of that.  They are all flocking to her.

Jeff