breathing all over the place (Read 530 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have heard that you shouldnt run with a cold. any thoughts? The only reason I ask is that as of late all my runs have been miserable, harder breathing, general fatigue. It is beginning to annoy me. 

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

A lot of people say that it's fine to run with a cold so long as it's above the neck - if you have problems with your chest then rest is in order.

I think you have to be pragmatic - and assess how you feel each day. Overdoing it when you're ill can inhibit recovery, on the other hand for a simple cold then some relatively easy running probably won't hurt.

BeeRunB

I have heard that you shouldnt run with a cold. any thoughts? The only reason I ask is that as of late all my runs have been miserable, harder breathing, general fatigue. It is beginning to annoy me. 

If you are breathing harder when you run at the same speed you were going a few weeks before, then that means your body is working harder, is under more stress. If you are using a heart rate monitor and working at MAF for example, and you've suddenly slowed down at the same heart rate, then same thing. You're aerobic system might be breaking down. If you have general fatigue, then rest. Why aren't you listening to your body?  Take care of yourself. A cold can sometimes mean you're overdoing things. You've lowered your immunity. If your speed at your MAF has tanked, and doesn't rebound within a few weeks, then it could mean your total stress load is too much (training+life stress). Could mean you are just running too much volume, or running too much of it too hard. It could mean your life stress has become abnormally high. If your stress levels have changed, and you can't reduce it, then cut down on the running.

Not sure what the scoop with you is, but take a look at things, then make adjustments. If it's just a temporary virus that's causing all this, and nothing more, then rest.

--Jimmy