Maltodextrin or other endurance fuels? (Read 722 times)

filkauppi

I'm looking for a new endurance energy source for upcoming Ironman and training. Has anyone tried maltodextrin? I've used Hammer's Sustained Energy, but it's tough on my stomach. I about blew up at IM Louisville. Thanks, Phil

The Greatest of All Time

Try dextrose in water with a little protein powder. You will have to test the concentrations to get it right, but I put about 50 grams (200 calories) of dextrose in 25 ounces of water with 15g of protein powder. Works pretty well. If you're curious as to why I suggest putting some protein in your fuel mix, it's because the latest studies show that endurance is increased when protein is taken with carbohydrate as opposed to either carbohydrate or water alone. And take if from someone that's done the Ironman, your success on race day will largely depend on how well you take in energy during the race. You can buy dextrose online at www.fitrx.com and it's less than $5 a bag.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Louisville was tough with the river current, the hills on the bike course and the heat. Just about everybody near-blew up there. Congrats on NOT crumping!! What about cytomax? Yeah, for Ironman, you do need to get protein in and possibly even some fats.
          Kepp to maltodextrin mostly and maybe a little of the other simple sugars. Protein in small amounts is good for 4-5+ hrs. of endurance but has been scientifically disproved to be energy producing. It does however keep the muscle from tearing down as much and keeping the ammonia production down. There is a twist in the type of protein, soy is king during the event, it produces much less ammonia than whey or casein. Whey is king for recovery though.
            Interesting stuff! I recently ran across this study of glucose only vs. glucose + fructose for endurance from here: http://mattfitzgerald.org/blog/?p=5 I was particulary interested in the product gleukos for pre-fueling for a 5k + 10k double event. After reading the above, I just concluded that gatorade was "good enough", You know, it's really hard to separate out the marketing crap from what's really good for you when considering these products, but I guess I should just "eat food. not too much. mostly plants." Right Trent? Jeff
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey