Falling Apart - how to stop it. (Read 278 times)

Dream Maker

I went 14 years running without a single injury.  When I finally had my first, it was like the beginning of the end.

June 2012 - developed hip adductor tendonopathy in my right side after a timed race that didn't change directions (strained it but continued to run.)

Compensating for that led to plantar fasciitis in my left foot. That took forever.

Then achilles tendonitis in the left foot this last summer that I ran until it had a painful pop (but not a full rupture) that forced over a month completely off everything.

Now I have a pain that I don't know what it is in my left buttock.

It's an intense, deep pain and it feels as if my leg loses strength when it acts up (as if a piece of a circuit is missing, no power getting through)  If I keep running the pain extends down through my hamstrings to the back of my knee where it feels like it's popping, though most the pain is still in the butt.  It feels like a light soreness often, but only really hurts after 10 miles and passes if I stop or will subside to manageable levels if I take ibuprofen and continue running, though it still hurts, or if I sit for a long time I get a stabbing/spasm type pain in the same area that passes quickly.  Googling I am coming up with piriforimis syndrome.

There may have been other things in there but these are the things that stuck the most and forced significant time off each year.

The right hip adductor that was injured years ago is always sore after hard or long effort now though it's not constant like it was years ago... I'm not so sure it's supposed to get sore so often.  It feels tight always if I stretch, as well.  Both my plantars and my achilles can pop in to say hi if I get too crazy with what I'm doing, but I wouldn't consider them a problem currently.

I feel like my body has just given up, and I'm so tired of being injured! I can't remember the last time I had a reasonable fitness, or the ability to actually train in any sense of the word.  (I've been running, and completing marathons, but that's about the extent of it. It's slowly gotten worse and worse.

Between unrelated personal medical issues and job issues,  I absolutely  can't afford to go to any more doctor type people.  Or anyone that requires any compensation. haha.  I understand people here are not my doctor, but was hoping people who have been through these things that can help.

BUT I want to work as I can on fixing the root issues so the constant injuries stop and I can actually train.  I'd like to qualify for Boston again.

My two questions are :

1.  Has anyone had the buttock pain/weakness?  What was it?

2. Any suggestions for a plan given the myriad of injuries?  It seems like I need to work on everything. I feel a little overwhelmed. Treating one thing with the exercise suggestions seems to just send me on a wild goose chase to the other side of my lower body for the next injury.  From home, what are things I should do and how often?

I do have dumbbells, a pilate magic circle, foam roller, stick, and a physical therapy band  (None of which have proven particularly effective in their use sitting in the corner of a room)

Thanks for any help or links to where I can find suggestions.

My first guess when it comes to your butt pain,  is you're experiencing the same pain that I am in my right buttock, which runs down to your leg.  It's called Piriformis Syndrome.  Just Google that term and see what I mean.  After that look up all the stretches and other treatments you can find for it.  If worse comes to worse try a physical therapist or a general physician for treatment of it.  Let me tell you if you do have this problem, it's tough to get rid of.  I've been fighting with it practically the whole year.  Naproxen aka Alieve worked well for me to kill the pain but now my stomach has become sensitive from all that Naproxen and can't handle it anymore.

No more marathons

Heatherruns - sounds a lot like what I went through in the summer and fall of 2014.

I went to an ortho and had an xray and was scheduled for an MRI but I put it off as I was starting to get better.

My self diagnosis after reading lots of stuff on the interwebzz was high hamstring tendinopathy.

I was fortunate that working on strengthening the hip and glute area made a big difference.

I used these drills https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0 and the results (read that as improvement) came quickly.

YMMV.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

#artbydmcbride

Something pressing on your sciatic nerve.  (could be your piriformis)

Runners run

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

For years, I thought my butt pain was piriformis syndrome. I also had plantar fasciitis and IT band issues in that time frame. Most of 2014 was a downward spiral into increased pain in my butt, low back, lateral hip, and groin. I ended up having a labral tear in the hip. I had it repaired in March and am finally (slowly) returning to running.

My suggestion would be to see an ortho, particularly one familiar with sports injuries.

MTA: I'm not saying that the labral tear is your issue, rather that you need to get it checked out. It's totally disheartening to feel like you are falling apart and see your running life going down the drain. I get it.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

pedaling fool

My recommendation would be to get started in weight training, here are some great articles on that

http://www.active.com/running/articles/why-female-runners-should-strength-train-like-men

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-Runners-Benefit-From-Sport-Specific-Strength-Training.htm

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Strength-Train-to-Improve-Running-Economy.htm

This trainer gives a good reason for runners  to do strength training in the first minute of the video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcGXGf1-TU

Ojo

I totally get what you are going through -- I have felt like I am falling apart for months now.  I have lower back pain, SI joint pain, and piriformis issues.  I finally took matters in to my own hands and am going to a PT that came highly recommended,  She is doing myofascial release and giving me strengthening exercises.  I am feeling a little improvement but it is going to take time.  Sadly, my health plan will not pay for it, but as my husband said, whatever it takes to get me back to feeling like myself.

I hope you figure it out and get some relief!

Sara

MM #2929

pedaling fool

My recommendation would be to get started in weight training, here are some great articles on that

http://www.active.com/running/articles/why-female-runners-should-strength-train-like-men

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-Runners-Benefit-From-Sport-Specific-Strength-Training.htm

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Strength-Train-to-Improve-Running-Economy.htm

This trainer gives a good reason for runners  to do strength training in the first minute of the video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcGXGf1-TU

BTW, I just wanted to emphasize that I don't think weight training is nearly as effective if all you do is to do it as a way to rehabilitate an injury and then stop. Rather, I believe it should be a total-body regimen that focuses on everything and it must be for life, because you never know what part is going to fail you in the future. This does not take a lot of time, just consistency and a lot of it you don't even have to go to the gym, you can do it as you watch TV.  The important thing is that you don't look at weight training as only a rehab evolution, because once you stop, you start losing all the gains.

Don't blame me, that's mother nature's rules. You don't use it, you lose it

Joann Y

I am only going to mention this because I have noticed with myself (especially and probably only as I've gotten older) that carrying extra weight causes issues. Even with just a five-ten pound weight loss, I have noticed much less stress in my joints with some joint pain just disappearing, a much easier time running, heartburn disappeared, etc. Recently I've put on maybe 6 pounds and I am feeling it, seriously. If your profile is correct, I wonder if losing some weight might be helpful? Easy to say, much much harder to do.

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

I'm with pedaling fool to a large extent, as long as weight training doesn't mean you have to go to a gym. I'm currently mid-way through a 7 week break from running. My right shin bone had bugged me for a while, random aches through the hips, plantar fascia coming back in the left foot, so I just decided to take some time off. I've been doing strength stuff for a while and it had helped a lot, but I just decided to put one cycle into serious body-weight training.

All my aches and pains have gone away, and I've noticed a great uptick in my general fitness. I bought a program for $75 and it's been great. GMB is the company that made it, and I can't recommend them enough. I've bought 4 of their programs and loved them all. PM me and I'll give you more info if you're interested.

I also walk at a brisk pace at least 35-40 minutes six days a week. I'll start a running training cycle towards the end of November for a race next March. I can't wait to start running again.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

For years, I thought my butt pain was piriformis syndrome. I also had plantar fasciitis and IT band issues in that time frame. Most of 2014 was a downward spiral into increased pain in my butt, low back, lateral hip, and groin. I ended up having a labral tear in the hip. I had it repaired in March and am finally (slowly) returning to running.

My suggestion would be to see an ortho, particularly one familiar with sports injuries.

MTA: I'm not saying that the labral tear is your issue, rather that you need to get it checked out. It's totally disheartening to feel like you are falling apart and see your running life going down the drain. I get it.

Like stfuandrun, I also had a torn labrum in my hip.  Mine pain was all around the hip joint -- front of the groin, side of the hip, deep in the butt.  The pain never went away.  It was a deep, constant ache.  I was able to run, but it was painful (some days were better than others.)  Your symptoms sound very familiar.  If you ever get an MRI, push hard to get one with the contrast dye.  I was misdiagnosed for over a year because the regular MRI didn't pick up on my labral tear.  (I am also not saying that's for sure what you have, but it would be a good piece of mind to rule it out.)  I went through a lot of PT prior to surgery (and after!) and did a lot of glute work.  Lots of runners have weak glutes -- might be a good place to start for you.  It sucks that you're going through this.

Running is dumb.

JanaLamb

Someone here just recently posted who I believe has the same condition as you, piriformis syndrome. He mentioned about having a chiropractor. I think you should also consider that option, it worked for a friend of mine.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Piroformis Syndrome is also my guess.  For several months in 2012, I had numbness/tingling sensation in my legs -- all the way down to my feet. I incorrectly blamed over-training or poor nutrition as the reason. I also had some pain in my glutes, but didn't associate the problem with my piroformis muscle until I stumbled upon a few YouTube videos.

I then fixed the problem in 15 minutes with a tennis ball.  Incredible.  Months of pain and frustration -- and fixed with a tennis ball in minutes.

I hope you have the same good luck as I did!

Piriformis Myofascial Release Technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl474z1bhnk

And here's a very good video on stretching techniques to help Piroformis Syndrome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk

PRs5K 19:41 (5/2017)  10K  45:27 (1/2017)  10m  1:10:41 (4/2017)   13.1  1:36:00 (6/2017)  26.2  3:31:58 (10/2017)