How to race a 10k? and at what pace?! (Read 178 times)

From the Internet.

I ran a 10k today and thought about this thread while running. Mikey's advice is solid, and the tip from hipfan about surging whenever you feel like stopping is excellent. (my race was not excellent but would have been even more mediocre without this tactic...)

Joann Y - good luck!! The last 2k are always life-sucking but that surge-when-tired thing really worked for me...

I also ran my first-ever 10K on Monday and kept everything you all mentioned in mind during the race. Thanks for starting this thread Joann, and thanks to everyone else for giving advice!

McMillan predicted 49:01 based on my most recent 5K (just a week before the 10K) and 51:28 based on the 5K I ran a few weeks prior, I decided to pace for 50:00 with a slightly conservative first mile and start picking it up after the halfway mark if I felt good, worked perfectly - came in safely under my 50:00 goal at 49:41.

Surprisingly, no one around me faded in miles 3-4, I kept checking my watch to make sure (I think maybe a slight downhill helped us all out), but I started passing people left and right in the last third of the race and finished strong. I think I have a new favorite race distance!

No more marathons

I also ran my first-ever 10K on Monday and kept everything you all mentioned in mind during the race. Thanks for starting this thread Joann, and thanks to everyone else for giving advice!

McMillan predicted 49:01 based on my most recent 5K (just a week before the 10K) and 51:28 based on the 5K I ran a few weeks prior, I decided to pace for 50:00 with a slightly conservative first mile and start picking it up after the halfway mark if I felt good, worked perfectly - came in safely under my 50:00 goal at 49:41.

Surprisingly, no one around me faded in miles 3-4, I kept checking my watch to make sure (I think maybe a slight downhill helped us all out), but I started passing people left and right in the last third of the race and finished strong. I think I have a new favorite race distance!

A race can be fun when you pace it correctly.

Congratulations on your first 10K

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Joann Y

glad to hear other people are benefiting from this thread. sometimes I forget that it's not all about me! Lauren710, if you wanted to, I bet you could easily get that time down even more. nice work.