Running Shoe Help - Saucony ProGrid Ride v. Asics Gel Nimbus 12 (Read 2179 times)

ready2008

I am having the hardest time deciding on new shoes and thought I'd check with you guys.  I went to 4 store and got 4 different suggestions. I am down to 3 choices: Saucony Ride size 7.5 wide, saucony Ride 8 regular, and Asics Gel Nimbus 12.  My old pair of shoes was a cheap saucony from tj maxx, but I loved them.  I have been getting shin splints off and on and I definitely know it was time for new shoes.  My heels of the shoes are pretty worn compared to the rest of the shoes.  All of the stores looked at my old shoes and watched me run.  Anyway, the Asics are much more cushioned and feel better when just walking, but the sauconys feel much lighter and generally a better "fit" but I can tell they aren't as cushioned.  I am just trying to figure out whether the cushioning might make a difference with shin splints or if I should just go with the sauconys because I have loved my old cheap ones and am used to those.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for all of your help.

day after day sameness

I can't help you with the comparison of shoe v. shoe....but I do want to make sure you know that the ASICS Nimbus 12 is retired, they're onto the Nimbus 13 now.  So don't pay anywhere near full price if you go with the Nimbus 12.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

You're right about the cushioning.  The Ride doesn't have as much cushioning up front.  If you want cushioning in a Saucony similar to the Nimbus, try the Triumph.

You can compensate for the up front cushioning with Superfeet (the orange for guys, purple for gals, have forefoot cushioning), but that adds to the weight (only a little bit), but it might throw off the fit.

Jeff

ready2008

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I tried the 12 and 13 at Dick's and the 12 was much more comfortable to me.  They were $35 off. Thanks for the info.  And I will check out the other sauconys. I am a beginner at this for sure - I guess my question is also is the only reason people would prefer less cushioning to more cushioning just the feel of the shoe and weight?  (The saucony definitely feels better to me so I am leaning toward that but don't want to be more prone to shin splints w/out the cushioning.  

day after day sameness

I'm no expert nor have any special knowledge -- but my understanding is that shin splints are caused by muscle overuse and conditioning.  Can't imagine there is any link to shoe cushioning.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I tried the 12 and 13 at Dick's and the 12 was much more comfortable to me.  They were $35 off. Thanks for the info.  And I will check out the other sauconys. I am a beginner at this for sure - I guess my question is also is the only reason people would prefer less cushioning to more cushioning just the feel of the shoe and weight?  (The saucony definitely feels better to me so I am leaning toward that but don't want to be more prone to shin splints w/out the cushioning.  

Milk Truck is correct.  Your shin splints are most likely due to doing too much at once.  Other than the fact that you might need new shoes, different cushioning probably won't make any difference.

As for more vs. less cushioning, try the Nike Vomero sometime.  It feels like walking with pillows on.  But, it can also seem to some people like its too squishy, and people feel like they don't have any control, and can have a loss of responsiveness.  Some people like to feel the pavment.

So, that's why people may not like so much cushioning.

Jeff

My prewash:)

I run in the Saucony Rides and like them.  I did put in a gel insole for a little more cushioning.  So far so good for meBig grin

"Carpe Diem"

I just shifted from Asicis Cumulo 12 to Brooks Glycerins....very nice cushioning ride..just exiting an 10 week off from a stress fracture injury...we will see how the Brooks do.