Hamstring 'tweek' 6 weeks out from marathon - should I modify my programme??? (Read 575 times)

higa

HI all I have 6 weeks to go til i run my 2nd marathon. I did a 5k race 4 days ago. The next day did a 90 min undulating/hills run and by the end of it my hamsting was quite tight/sore. Came home and iced it, didn't run yesterday and am planning to do 75 min easy tonight (was supposed to do hill repeats but don't want to risk it). I can just feel it when i walk but it's not bad today. My question is, should i go out tonight, rest up, reduce distance or just see how i go? I have a 2 hr 45 min long run scheduled for this weekend and don't know whether to go ahead. The hamstring doesn't feel torn just 'tweeky' if you know what I mean. I'm getting to that stage in training where i can't really afford to miss any more long runs. Advice please.

SMART Approach

Rest Fri. Maybe do an easy 3-5 miles Saturday to test it out. If fine, do your long run easy but be sure to soak in hot tub or hot bath first. Got to get it warm. Ice after.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JakeKnight

I'm getting to that stage in training where i can't really afford to miss any more long runs.
        No you're not. You're training looks pretty good. If you have to miss a long run - or postpone one until next weekend - its not going to kill you. (And for what it's worth, I'd build in more weekly mileage before I'd worry so much about each long run). But you are getting to the stage in training where you can't afford an injury. Something to think about. A missed long run at this point won't ruin your marathon. A whole month off due to injury will. I'd be careful. If I were you I'd just go for an easy recovery run today and maybe for a few days. See how it goes. And no offense, but what were you thinking running a hard 5-K race, on pretty low mileage, running it 2 days after your longest long run yet, and then going out and doing a hill workout the very next day? You were almost guaranteed to injure yourself. Just my two cents, but I'd add in more easy mileage, eliminate the interval work completely, and make darn sure you're doing more easy recovery runs after your harder days. Actually, I think you ought to be doing at most one tempo run a week, a long run every week or two, and the rest easy. You need more mileage, a much bigger base, and way less of the speed work.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

higa

And no offense, but what were you thinking running a hard 5-K race, on pretty low mileage, running it 2 days after your longest long run yet, and then going out and doing a hill workout the very next day? You were almost guaranteed to injure yourself.quote> Non taken! I actually agree and thought 'what the hell am i doing' as i headed out BUT I have taken on a coach for this marathon and this was on the plan. I think maybe she works more with higher performing athletes! Anyway it feels a bit better today after a rest. PS I loved your quote from Scout7 about all the rules. It is sooo true and I for one am guilty of over analysing, being a slave to a schedule and generally losing sight of what it's all about. But then methinks I am not alone in this!