Pain in Chest While Running (Read 116 times)

SeanM.

Bahama Mia

On my last 2 runs I have been experiencing a sharp squeezing pain in my right chest. The only reason I can think this is happening is because I had not been running as much for 3 weeks prior (each week at a total [run] mileage of 4.5 miles, 2.3 miles, and 2.5 miles). I ran 14.6 miles last week and was attempting to run about the same this week (with my chest pain cutting this run and the one before it short). I stretched my chest and arms and other body parts thoroughly. I just don't know what is going on. I am thinking this upcoming week I will scale back to no more than 13 miles. Can any of you explain what is going on?

zonykel

Get your general practitioner to refer you to a cardiologist.

I had something similar a few years ago. The doctor did an EKG or ECG, whatever it was. Everything was normal. He diagnosed me with heartburn (it felt like a knot in the chest area, not like a burning sensation).

On my last 2 runs I have been experiencing a sharp squeezing pain in my right chest. The only reason I can think this is happening is because I had not been running as much for 3 weeks prior (each week at a total [run] mileage of 4.5 miles, 2.3 miles, and 2.5 miles). I ran 14.6 miles last week and was attempting to run about the same this week (with my chest pain cutting this run and the one before it short). I stretched my chest and arms and other body parts thoroughly. I just don't know what is going on. I am thinking this upcoming week I will scale back to no more than 13 miles. Can any of you explain what is going on?

Hi SeanM

I'm with Zonykel on this. Go to your GP.

If I had a "sharp squeezing pain" in my chest I would be getting to my doc as soon as possible. I would also stop running until given the all clear to start again.

Geoff

Yes see a doctor and then a cardiologist. You can never be too safe with a heart. I had a similar issues last year. You don't want to be wondering if there is an issue every time you run.

Fall  2013 Goals: Doable sub 22:00 5k; Challenging Sub 21:00 5k; Unlikely Sub 20:00 5k.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+1 on see a Dr/Cardiologist - could be Angina, or GERD/Reflux or both.

In 2008, I had both at the same time,wound up in the ER with severe pain and wound up having a heart attack when they tried to ease the pain, crashed my blood pressure with the meds. Attack happened while they tried to elevate my BP again. They found I had 95% blockage in main artery - with no real symptoms other than occasional heart burn, and I had been working out with a trainer 3x/week with no symptoms other than occasional indigestion/heartburn. Had 2 more trips to the ER with similar symptoms before they discovered I also had GERD! Both Angina & GERD can display similar intermittent symptoms. In my case its good that they accidentally induced the heart attack because if they had discovered the GERD first I might have heart attack outside of ER which would have been deadly.

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.