XC spikes vs flats (no spikes) (Read 105 times)

XC shoe question...normally I'd just wear regular running shoes for the handful of xc races I might do in a year, but RWarehouse had the Saucony shays for cheap, so...

I purchased the ones with spikes (without really thinking about it, or really even noticing there was the same shoe with and without).

Experienced XC runners - I know I can, but is it less than ideal to run in the spikes without spikes screwed in? (say if part of a course goes on road or hard surface). Or maybe there are plugs you can buy? I can return them and swap for the spikeless, but I figured there may be a race where the spikes are actually needed (wet, mud, snow, etc.). What's say you on running without em in?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Reading now that if you run without spikes in, should probably put in plugs so as not to screw up the threads.

Not seeing a place online to find plugs - anyone got an online suggestion (I'll call local run store).

MTA: never mind...searching wrong term. "Blanks" not "plugs". carry on...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      CMJHawk86

Sometimes they are also called "nubs."

Just my opinion...spikes are great for typical "cross country" courses. But once the courses get technical or the weather elements get really tough, it's time to switch to trail shoes. I would think in heavy snow or mud the stuff would just get caked on the spike plate.

kcam

I've always worn spikeless XC shoes for courses that are muddy or have significant wet grass. Interested to hear how/when others use XC shoes with spikes.  I just wear my normal racing flats if the course is dry.

joescott

For true XC races I think spikes are a must.  Too many situations where you have slick, wet grass, etc., in XC where they can really make a difference.  I think even on dusty, packed dirt, they are an advantage over any kind of flats.  Even on very muddy courses, I would rather have them (or see my kids have them on, actually) than not.  Note that my comments are about XC races, fast stuff 10k distance and shorter, not "trail runs".

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

King of PhotoShop

I'm with joescott on this one, but just wanted to chime in here and say that if you have not a lot of recent experience with spikes or if you are an older runner, be very careful, as spikes dig in and give you that extra hard push off the trailing leg and it's easy to strain a calf muscle. I would run lightly on grass a few times with them before the XC season starts.  Just my .02.  Spareribs

Ostrich runner

Spikes, always spikes. One of the main reasons to wear them is that they don't cake up. Unless it's really mucky, short ones are best. I think I fell in every single race where, for one reason or another, I didn't have spikes.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

How much of the course is run on roads or hard surfaces?  If you're simply crossing a road, you'll barely notice the spikes.  The better the conditions, the shorter the spikes you'll need.

If there's more than a road crossing or two, then it's not real xc. 

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Just a dude.

This is definitely a thing based on what the courses are like. When I was in high school/college, most courses were on rocky dirt, often with sections of sidewalk or pavement. No one wore spikes.

The only time I considered spikes was in the snow. I don't think I ever actually did...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...