San Fransico Marathon (Read 1239 times)

AnneCA

Flying from SDG to SFO is going to be like an extra $675 for my family.  I saw that is like an 8-9 hour drive.  I would be doing this early Friday Morning. 

How big is your family?  It's $106 each for a one-way ticket from San Diego to Oakland on Southwest on the morning of 7/27 (last weekend of July, right?).  Of course, then you'd have to land in Oakland, and we're all nude all the time here. 

I'd fly.  That's a long-ass drive, not my idea of a vacation.  Plus, have you looked into the one-way rental car charge?

MTA:  I'm actually surprised at the $106 price; I bet if you put a watch on that fare, it'll go lower at some point.

spinach

I didn't care much for the SF marathon.   The race starts way too early - 5:30 AM.  That right there is enough to get me to say "NO".  And going over the bridge?  Fuggedaboudit.  It WILL be dark and it WILL be fogged over.  You won't even realize you're on it.

I am in the central time zone and I just stayed on central time when I got there.  A 7:30 start (my time) is fine.  The first five miles were in the dark but it was light by the time we got to the bridge although the fog shrouded it all four times I ran out there. But the main is that the weather was ideal all four times I ran.  Cool in the mid 50s, not much wind, fog for the race.  Each year the fog lifted within a half hour of my finish.

xor

The bridge...fog yes, dark no.  It has been light every time I've run it. But then I'm not a sub-3 type.

JPF

I'll second (or is it third?) Hearst Castle.  We thought it was going to be cheesy and tacky, but somehow it really isn't.  (Except for the medieval choirbook lampshades that absolutely horrified my wife.)   The setting is unbelievable, if nothing else.

Imminent Catastrophe

But then I'm not a sub-3 type.

Obviously you aren't training hard enough.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

I really liked this marathon.  It was light and sunny when I crossed GG bridge and there were a lot of people but plenty of room to run as fast as I was.  If you drive there I would consider staying in Berkeley and having someone drop you off Sunday am.  Cheaper...better weather...good food.  My mom lives there so that was easy for me. 

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Queen of 3rd Place

Ruh-roh, you've got me started!!!

Just another idea for lodging, Avila Beach might make a nice halfway-ish stop. Cute little town on a small bay, pretty sleepy, even on weekends. Safe beach for the kids. There are also hot springs very close by with lodging, I haven't stayed here for a few years but enjoyed it in the past http://www.sycamoresprings.com/ , I think most rooms have their own hot tub on a private patio that you fill yourself with the hot spring waters. Ahhhh...

I don't care much for Pismo but lots of folks like it.

I'm a huge fan of Paso Robles and you could easily get back on Highway 1 from there - if interested in Paso, let me know and you'll get a virtual earful on lodging and restaurants. 

If you want to push further north on day one there's a small park lodge at Pfeiffer-Big Sur State Park:  http://www.bigsurlodge.com/ Nice campsites, too, with a canopy of redwoods and a stream, a very short hike to a nice little waterfall, and you can still dine in the lodge (breakfast there is outstanding!). If you don't stay or eat there, the park is still an easy way to grab a quick stop and see some redwoods en route, even if you don't stay there. In fact if you want a free park pass ping me and I'll mail one to you. 

From Avila or Pismo or wherever you stay you have time to enjoy the drive along Highway 1 through Big Sur (and check out the course of the Big Sur marathon). Plenty of stuff to do around Carmel and Monterey of course but you probably won't have that much time. Nepenthe is the classic tourist spot for lunch in Big Sur (it's not bad, and the location is spectacular, but also consider having lunch north of Big Sur at http://www.rocky-point.com/, (their garlic cheese bread should be outlawed, it's way too much like crack, but just succumb to its warm cheesy goodness and take an extra order to go) or maybe you might feel like having lunch around Moss Landing at http://www.philsfishmarket.com/ = Best. Cioppino. Ever. (although be warned - the place has zero ambiance).  

I can't think of a single scary area between, say, Santa Monica and San Francisco along the coast, so you could really stay anywhere - just be sure to reserve, it is July and those of us in the hot inland areas will be escaping to the coast regularly!

In San Francisco, I like to stay in the Union Square area. There are some reasonable lodging choices (well, reasonable for San Francisco) if you look around. From Union Square you can walk to/from the start/finish and there's stuff for the family to do in Union Square - shopping, tons of restaurants, galleries, people-watching. If you want some specific suggestions, tell me what kind of lodging you like (boutique hotel, big chain, B&B) and I can probably list a couple. 

Be aware that it might be cold and grey along the coast in July, although Avila seems to be mysteriously exempt. One more thing about the Golden Gate - be careful on those expansion joints, they're slippery in the fog! 

Ex runner

Wow some great information and a lot to check into.  I think the best route would be to just stay on a beach.  We don't want to be driving around and hunting for a bunch of stuff on that day. 

I figure right now I can book the flight into San Diego and out of SanFran no problems.  Then I can keep an eye on air fare from SD to SF.  Right now it seems to be about the same to include it or not.  We have 5 of us so it is quite a bit of extra money. 

If I drive I feel like I have two options.

1.) Drive halfway and go Pizmo/Avirl.

2.) Drive 3/4 of the way and stay at Big Sur.

Any advice on a hotel located on the beach?  I think the kids will really like the beach and it is an easy/relaxing thing to do for the day.  Keep in mind we will be running a marathon on that Sunday.  Don't want tired legs at that point. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                  • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                  • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
                  xor

Obviously you aren't training hard enough.

I see what you did there.

Also.  PiSmo.  Avila.

Gaaaah.

I am in the central time zone and I just stayed on central time when I got there.  A 7:30 start (my time) is fine.  The first five miles were in the dark but it was light by the time we got to the bridge although the fog shrouded it all four times I ran out there. But the main is that the weather was ideal all four times I ran.  Cool in the mid 50s, not much wind, fog for the race.  Each year the fog lifted within a half hour of my finish.

pretty safe bet to expect this type of weather.  July in coastal N. california!    SF can get warm/hot on occassion but very rare & summers usually drier than most people think of N. Calif. coast.  Pacific ocean &  SF Bay keeps everything mild, lots of summer fog/dampness in evenings/mornings. That's why the Redwoods thrive there!!!!  But go a few miles inland & that's a whole different ballgame as far as weather, can get very hot.

+1 on what Arlahile said.  lots of very small little "cute" towns along the way.  One more added little thing:  If you drive don't be surprised to spend close to $5/gal for gas along Hwy 1 as it looks as if gas prices going up again & there are long stretches where opportunities are few to fuel up.  + prices on everything go up during summer.   People come from all over the world to see that area in the summer.

AnneCA

There are no hotels "on the beach" in Big Sur - for that matter, there's not much in the way of beaches anyway, and the water is too cold for more than a quick dip.  You want on the beach, you need to stay further south. 

or further north

true about not expecting to find a "hotel" by the beach.   this area is not Hawaii or even S. California, no "beach resorts" no hotels on the beach as you might expect.

BCR-need to do your homework now & reserve asap for any type of lodging along HWY 1 !!  and if driving the interstate, better reserve as well to be safe especially with a family to care for.  If your wife is anything like my wife, she wont enjoy surprises or winging it.  Need to make decision on where to stay in SF area & reserve asap as well.  it's July in California!

There are no hotels "on the beach" in Big Sur - for that matter, there's not much in the way of beaches anyway, and the water is too cold for more than a quick dip.  You want on the beach, you need to stay further south. 

Right now I am thinking the Sea Venture in Pizmo Beach.  It is right on the beach and gets pretty good reviews.  It is not cheap so I need to see if I can find some sort of discount on the site. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                            • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                            • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Queen of 3rd Place

Also.  PiSmo.  Avila.

Gaaaah.

?

Ex runner

Queen of 3rd Place

Right now I am thinking the Sea Venture in Pizmo Beach.  It is right on the beach and gets pretty good reviews.  It is not cheap so I need to see if I can find some sort of discount on the site. 

If you want beachfront, consider Cambria, specifically the Moonstone Beach area. Nice boardwalk that parallels the beach - super for a short run.

But I admitted I'm anti-Pismo.

Ex runner