Trying to get a log going... (Read 1477 times)

uncontrollable

I know it's pretty basic to most of you but I have never connected my Garmin to RA to keep my log ... I am attempting to but if anyone has any pointers or notices something out of whack - please let me know.  And just for the record - the days I work - I usually do doubles, into work & out of work, and it takes too damn long to get a satellite connection near the hospital for some reason so I just use the ol' timex watch as I pretty much know the miles by heart.  I haven't played around with it but I am assuming I can enter via Garmin download or manual.  Please be gentle with your feedback ... but please give me some!!!

Ciao

peace

an amazing likeness

Not sure if I'm reading your question poorly, because it really seems simple. Upload from the Garmin on the days you use it, and then enter manual log entries on the days you use the Timex.

The Garmin uploads will give you date/time/distance/laps (if any) from the Garmin itself, and then you edit the workout to add anything you want -- for mine, I add type of run (easy, tempo, interval, etc), route, equipment and (usually) basic weather.

If you glance at the workouts in my log, you'll see a mix of manual (the treadmill) and Garmin entries.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

A Saucy Wench

If you want us to notice something out of whack you have to make your log public.

But yes you can go back and forth but know that if you manually enter a garmin run and then upload your garmin you can get a double entry (which you can then delete)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

If you can, put your Garmin down on something right after you press the power button, so it's stationary as it locks satellites.  Any moving-around seems to greatly increase how long it takes to lock in.

And yeah, you can easily enter workouts manually -- no need for any of the newfangled electronics. Smile

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

If you can, put your Garmin down on something right after you press the power button, so it's stationary as it locks satellites.  Any moving-around seems to greatly increase how long it takes to lock in.

And yeah, you can easily enter workouts manually -- no need for any of the newfangled electronics. Smile

I set mine down and proceed with some static stretching until it locks onto the satellites. Thats a great time to get your stretch on.

MTA: OP should consider a Garmin FR60 or 70 for those run sessions when she is down town and can't wait for the satellite lock. They use a foot pod for distance / pace calculations, not GPS and upload to RA via an Ant stick.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

uncontrollable

Hey Burnt - thx - totally used that idea last night & it connected in 2 minutes vs. 5-8 !!!  Big help!  

peace

uncontrollable

Oh, and for the record - my log info probably looks a little non-focused - I do my speedwork on treadmill or track & almost never use Garmin.  I would like to use my Garmin but I find it to be cumbersome with track: I see others using it and I would like the data but I just find my timex so simple.  Thoughts?

I ran Phili in Nov - I am just running to run right now - but by the end of the month I will decide on my Spring marathon & begin focuses training.

peace

A Saucy Wench

Oh, and for the record - my log info probably looks a little non-focused

For the record, your log is still not public.   So it really doesnt look like anything 

Also I find that if you have the garmin fully charge take it off the charger, turn it on and set it down it connects almost instantly.   What do you find cumbersome about the Garmin at the track?  The watch itself or just using it? 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Oh, and for the record - my log info probably looks a little non-focused - I do my speedwork on treadmill or track & almost never use Garmin.  I would like to use my Garmin but I find it to be cumbersome with track: I see others using it and I would like the data but I just find my timex so simple.  Thoughts?

I ran Phili in Nov - I am just running to run right now - but by the end of the month I will decide on my Spring marathon & begin focuses training.

Turn your GPS off and use the Garmin to record the laps. Upload the data and edit the distance.

Also, your log is private so no one can see if its a little unfocused.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

... I do my speedwork on treadmill or track & almost never use Garmin.  I would like to use my Garmin but I find it to be cumbersome with track: I see others using it and I would like the data but I just find my timex so simple.  Thoughts?

Hmmm.  Can't you just use it in simple mode, i.e. like a stopwatch?  Just press Start when you begin your interval set; press Lap at the start/completion of each repeat; and then collect up the data later.  Just like you do with a Timex, except the Garmin also is picking up HR and whatnot.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Bit of an echo in here today.

-- Dick LeBeau

uncontrollable

I guess I'll have to change the screen view because right now I have it with pace - time - distance - HR: too much for my eyeballs at track - but the annoying thing is for example:  we do 2.5 laps - 200 meter jog - next interval etc... the jog is the rest but sometimes timed - however, I need to be clearing/resetting clock in prep for my next interval which interferes with clock & distracts me.

Am I doing something wrong?  If I just keep the timer going from start to finish of my track workout ... only hitting lap ... I am unable to keep track, in real time, of my lap paces - especially if I want to check in at the 200 meter mark.  I admit, I have not played much with my Garmin as far as views & options other than using it for long runs & basics daily runs on which I hit 'start' and 'stop' once.

I would LOVE to use it in other ways but I just haven't ... I guess I'll experiment

peace

A Saucy Wench

You can set up custom screens to show whatever it is you want to show.   I have one screen set up specifically with what I want to see in intervals. (lap pace / lap time).  No clearing and resetting of the screen needed. 

I always keep the GPS on when doing track workout but manually lap my intervals and recoveries.  Partly because I run to the track and from the track.

an amazing likeness

Am I doing something wrong?  If I just keep the timer going from start to finish of my track workout ... only hitting lap ... I am unable to keep track, in real time, of my lap paces - especially if I want to check in at the 200 meter mark.  I admit, I have not played much with my Garmin as far as views & options other than using it for long runs & basics daily runs on which I hit 'start' and 'stop' once.

I would LOVE to use it in other ways but I just haven't ... I guess I'll experiment

You should check out the Intervals settings under the Training Options screen of your Forerunner.  You can easily have it show you interval splits, and even (if outdoors and using the GPS) have it guide you through the interval/recovery jog/interval sessions.

(This web page shows setting up a Garmin Forerunner for intervals...it may have some hints that lead you to a "aha' moment)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

uncontrollable

Great!  Thx Ennay & Milk!  Will do.  I love that I got my log in finally!  I've been missing out on this fun feature!  I also had to figure out how to make a zip file to get it on here ... I know I know - simple but I am just not up with the times on computer 'stuff' - I deal more with the blood & guts stuff at work and at home an ipod & email/facebook are examples of me being a "tech-y" LOL.  Baby steps - but I am learning!

OK - going to get a workout on that Garmin so I can upload it - LOL!

peace