Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

But, i went full retard today. I ran 5 with my wife this morning and then decided to run more later in the day. I am known to run two a days and this was the first in a long long time.  It was 85 and humid and i wanted to run another 4-6. All was well and i decided to run 10 more at an average pace of 8:04. So i have 15 miles for the day, the most since november. I am freaking happy.

Dude!   That's amazingly awesome.    Keep posting...it's great to hear that you're continuing to up the mileage.  Your notes in your log say that your groin aches though.  Does that worry you?  Or do you feel like you're not done healing yet and the ache will go away?  My goal for my runs is 100% pain free.  If something is off, I stop.  Which includes the aching.  So far I've done a couple of 4 miles runs and they feel pretty damn good.

Running is dumb.

JB52

Oski: good to know about swimming, thanks. Yea it is frustrating but oh well.

Madison: my MRI said extensive detached posterosuperior labral tears and a stress fracture. Dr. Salvo said that he didn't think I had labral tears because the labrum can sit at different angles, depending on the person, and says mine are fine, especially since the physical exam didn't hurt in the places it should have. I'm frustrated as I have a feeling that in 6 weeks I'll be in the same place I am now and an MRA will reveal a tear that has to be repaired. I would be so bummed as I would miss trips, don't know what to do.

I'm surprised about not being on crutches as well but he said if my pain was worse he would have me on them. I'll ask the physical therapist I see next Monday about what he/she wants to do.

Hip Redux

Not that this helps you now, JB but whenever someone is getting an MRI of the hip, I try to get them to push for the MRA right off the bat (thank you Mandy for that lesson!!).   I don't know why drs don't and screw around with just the MRI.

So if anyone is reading this and is pre-diagnosis, push for the MRA.  Maybe your doc will listen. Smile

Thankfully, mine did the MRA but 6 months after my initial meeting with him. 

ultramarathon/triathlete

I second the MRA.

My first MRI came back with me being 100% a-ok and the horrible pain, well that's just a mystery or in my head.  Or a pulled muscle.

My MRA a few weeks later showed a fractured hip, torn labrum, 2 bone spurs and some other thing I can't recall.  They said if I HAD kept running, I'd likely have full on broken the hip and needed some real hardware in it.  Instead, it was caught early enough that I just kept off it for 8 weeks (which sucked) and it healed.  The labrum still bothers me though, but at least the fracture is gone.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

JB52

Not that this helps you now, JB but whenever someone is getting an MRI of the hip, I try to get them to push for the MRA right off the bat (thank you Mandy for that lesson!!).   I don't know why drs don't and screw around with just the MRI.

So if anyone is reading this and is pre-diagnosis, push for the MRA.  Maybe your doc will listen. Smile

Thankfully, mine did the MRA but 6 months after my initial meeting with him. 

I tried but it didn't work. He said he only wants to get an MRA done if I'm not better when I see him in six weeks. I asked to get it done now so we don't waste all that time but he said no, unfortunately.

Mendeldave: for your hip stress fracture, did you have to be on crutches for two months? My doctor said I'm fine to walk around, just have to avoid high impact stuff. I'm supposed to being physical therapy next week for it, did you do therapy for your hip or just rest it? Are you back to running or working out now or does the labral tear still bug you too much? Also, where was your pain with the hip fracture? I have mine on the outside of my right hip and my right glute as well. It hurts a lot to walk if I do high impact stuff, so I've been staying away from that. Is biking fine?

ultramarathon/triathlete

No crutches.  Just no running.  I walk everywhere and that was fine.

Pain was in the goin area.  Still bothers me but it's a dull ache.  I've been running ok but not pushing it as much as I'd like to.  I need to up my mileage to prepare for the NYC Marathon in Nov.  I'm pacing a group much slower than me, so speed wise it will be fine but I haven't run more than 12 miles at a pop for a while.  Need to increase that.   I did have a fairly good 5k recently, only 20 or so seconds off last year at this time when I was doing well and no injured.

Anyway, I'm seeing my doc in 2 weeks to see about a cortisone injection and to make sure everything is ok.  Can't sleep on the right side (where the damage was) and the left side is achey.  So, that makes so some boring rest for someone who likes to toss and turn around a lot at night!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Doomer

The piriformis seems to have stopped being irritated and the burning in the rump is better.  I do get the random pain in my quad and am not sure if it is from the sciatica or not.  I am now in week 7 post op and walking about a mile per day in addition to errands and doing stuff around the house.  I am not back to work yet.  I do still walk with a slight limp and hope that my gait will return to normal soon.  I do experience pain in my hip when I am about half way through my walk.  It is not in my groin but in my mid to outer region of the hip.  At what point did pain go away for all of you?

JB - can you get your family doctor to order the MRA or go get a second opinion.  Does your OS only do hip scope surgeries?  Where does your pain present again?  How did he think your pain should present?   I did the wait and do 6 weeks of PT and it got me no where and you have been doing PT so not sure what he expects to happen.  I had to travel out of state to my OS who only does hip scopes.

JB52

Mendeldave: good to hear you did not use crutches. Were you allowed to use stairs? Hopefully your pain subsides. My pain is on the outside of my right hip and my right glute, not in my groin at all, odd.

Doomer: honestly I think my Dad would get pissed off if I saw another doc. I know I'm 25 and on my own but I'm still on his insurance plan and he gets the bills for whatever is not covered, I do pay all the copays. He's so insistent on listening to the first response from the first doc I see, it's so frustrating. I'm not sure about my family doc but the guy who wrote the script for my MRI was a chiropractor, which is something I've never heard of before.

My pain is on the outside of my right hip and in my right glute. My doctor is very accomplished, he has worked on professional athletes and even teaches other docs how to perform hip scopes. He does do surgeries other than scopes but his specialty is in the hip. His name is Dr. Salvo. I did tell him PT didn't work but he said I was not doing the right kind of exercises, which I call BS on. I don't know...I'll see what the physical therapist says next Monday. Worst comes to worst, I'll get the MRA script from that chiropractor if I can and schedule it for the Monday of the week I'm supposed to see the doctor again (which would be that Friday) as I have off that day.

You know, for how bright docs are supposed to be some are pretty stupid. I had to diagnose myself with gastroparesis after seeing 4 doctors who didn't catch it. After getting the proper test for it I was finally put on the right medication because they "found out" I had it. I hope that it's just a stress fracture and I don't need surgery but I'll see.

Hip Redux

Of course, I've never had a stress fracture, but I've never heard of special PT exercises for one... it's usually just rest.

Doomer - my pain was a little weird... I was almost totally painfree (aside from some minor tweaks here and there) from week 2  - 10.  At week 10 ... I suppose when I started getting more active... I started to get pain again and it's sort of not fully gone now at 16.   It's not bad, just sort of a nagging hip flexor/psoas pain.

ultramarathon/triathlete

The only thing I wasn't allowed to do was run.  I also didn't bike much even though they said the stationary should be ok.  It was still sore upright or recumbent so I started lifting weights (upper body) instead.  Still doing that too, btw, and I attribute my good return to running speed largely because of that.  Lots of core work, but generally strengthening my entire upper body.  I look and feel better too, so, there's that.

Mendeldave: good to hear you did not use crutches. Were you allowed to use stairs? Hopefully your pain subsides. My pain is on the outside of my right hip and my right glute, not in my groin at all, odd.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

JB52

Oski: I've never heard of special PT exercises either and also thought rest was just the protocol. I'll be sure to grill my physical therapist on Monday about it.

Mendeldave: good to hear you were allowed to bike, I may do that. I would do upper body stuff but I'm also recovering from golfer's elbow, I'm a mess right now hah.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So yesterday I had my PT running analysis/evaluation.  It was pretty interesting.

After checking my ROM and doing some drills to warm up, I walked on the treadmill for a few minutes. Then she had me run at a 10:30 pace to warm up. After a few minutes of that, she bumped it up to a 10mm, which I guess is a fairly normal pace for me, and started videotaping. I probably ran for about 10 minutes or so while she switched the angles. Then we played back the video both in real time and in slow motion/frame by frame.

Basically, I have almost perfect running mechanics. My pelvis was straight, my feet landed at the right angle, my take off was exactly off my 4th metatarsal, my trunk vertical (or something) was perfect. She was so pleased with the video of my feet landing/taking off that she asked if she could use it in an upcoming presentation. Sure! So maybe that's why I've never been injured before this crap happened -- I have good mechanics!

The only thing I could work on was cadence. Apparently my knees could be a little more bent when landing and the way to improve that is to up your cadence. She suggested running with a metronome set at 174bmp (a 5% increase from my current 168.) But she also said if that doesn't feel natural, that I should just roll with what feels the best.  I'll have to look into metronome apps on my phone. 

I can gradually start increasing my runs to 4-5 miles at a time and I will come back in a month to see her. So all in all, I'd say it went pretty well.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

Congrats Mandy! that is great news!

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

dallison

registered pw

It is the slightest and almost no achiness but i put it in there like any other pains or aches so i know how long i have it. It is nothing like in the past and it keeps getting better. It gets better incrementally so i never notice a huge improvement. Most of the time it doesn't ache but it is 110% better and not like the pain pre-op.

The doc said that i will probably feel something for 3-6 months so it seems normal.

The only issue i seem to have is my knee. Like right now, i am sitting on my legs as i type. The backside of my knee area hurts to bned it. I don't know why and it's a relatively new pain that is there all the time. I don't know if it is from the hip being weaker. I know my knee did hurt before surgery and again, it could be hip related.

Dude!   That's amazingly awesome.    Keep posting...it's great to hear that you're continuing to up the mileage.  Your notes in your log say that your groin aches though.  Does that worry you?  Or do you feel like you're not done healing yet and the ache will go away?  My goal for my runs is 100% pain free.  If something is off, I stop.  Which includes the aching.  So far I've done a couple of 4 miles runs and they feel pretty damn good.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

JB52

Great to hear Mandy!