Runners Vitamins? (Read 1459 times)

The study referenced says that multivitamins did not decrease cancer or heart disease rate in women.

It said more than that: "The researchers found no evidence of any benefit from multivitamin use in any of 10 categories studied, including no differences in the rate of breast or colon cancer, heart attack, stroke, blood clots or mortality"

SMART Approach

I am not going to debate this too much as I think we are in agreement that if you eat well, you don't need a "QUALITY" multi. I will say that I will question the results of the study as a big chunk of those in the studies are eating pretty good. It is those that are health conscious that are more likely to take these supplements. It makes sense that they would not benefit from more nutrients.

There is reseach coming out everyday on benefits of supplements/nutrients. I just read a study earlier this week on optimum levels of Omega 3s (DHA/EPA) can reduce risk of heart failure by 15%. That is powerful. Unless, you eat high omega 3s fish regularly, you probably are not getting optimum levels of Omega 3. Friday fish fry does not count.

One last comment as this can be debated all day. If a person eats a donut and a coke for breakfast and eats McDonald's for lunch and dinner or similar food, I simply do not understand the statement of, "You don't need to take a multivitamin". It makes no sense to me!  There are more of these type of diets out there than not.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Ah - the magic fish oil, yet again. Here's some reading: http://www.badscience.net/category/fish-oil/

You question the results of a carefully conducted study published in a respected peer-reviewed journal, because it doesn't give the results you want to hear, yet you refer to an unnamed study promising magic results from fish oil. Give us the reference so we can read it...

SMART Approach

This is where I read some recent info on Omega 3s (DHA/EPA) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/ru-articles/cardiovascular-health/omegas-may-lower-heart-failure-risk-by-as-much-as-fifteen-percent.html?SourceCode=INTHIR483&mobile=off

Omega 3s have been researched in 8000 studies and is the most researched nutrient in modern medicine.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

This is where I read some recent info on Omega 3s (DHA/EPA) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/ru-articles/cardiovascular-health/omegas-may-lower-heart-failure-risk-by-as-much-as-fifteen-percent.html?SourceCode=INTHIR483&mobile=off

Omega 3s have been researched in 8000 studies and is the most researched nutrient in modern medicine.

Note carefully: "Seven prospective studies, which provided data on 176,441 subjects and 5,480 incident cases of heart failure, indicated that people with the highest category of EPA and DHA levels had a 14% lower risk of heart failure, compared to people with the lowest levels."

This is the main conclusion and it says absolutely nothing about taking fish oil!

Don't confuse the spin put on it by some snake - err, fish -  oil salesmen (which is what you linked) with the actual conclusions of the study.

Turbolegs

Guys .. a lot of back and forth on this is unlikely to end anytime soon ..

If placebos help people get better, vitamins have a more convincing reason to exist in our supplements. Whether we truly need it or not, if you "feel" better off, taking it than not, take it by all means (in moderation and within reason). Might cost you some extra $$$ but value-for-money -> to each his own.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

SMART Approach

Turbo, I agree. To each their own. There is not one doubt in my mind that I am healthier and more resistant to disease and infection because of my active and nutrient rich lifestyle including many supplements and antioxidants of high quality. I have not had the flu in 23 years and have had one cold in last 5 years and have a high pressure/stressed outside sales job. To quote my long standing physician from 3 weeks ago after my every 5 year physical as he walks in the door looking at my blood tests, "Get the hell out of here. Your numbers including lipids are incredible for a 16 year old and you are 46 and they are better than 5 years ago. You make me sick!". It works for me (and my wife), and that is good enough for me.

Turbolegs

Turbo, I agree. To each their own. There is not one doubt in my mind that I am healthier and more resistant to disease and infection because of my active and nutrient rich lifestyle including many supplements and antioxidants of high quality. I have not had the flu in 23 years and have had one cold in last 5 years and have a high pressure/stressed outside sales job. To quote my long standing physician from 3 weeks ago after my every 5 year physical as he walks in the door looking at my blood tests, "Get the hell out of here. Your numbers including lipids are incredible for a 16 year old and you are 46 and they are better than 5 years ago. You make me sick!". It works for me (and my wife), and that is good enough for me.

This is quite amazing man !! Hope you keep the streak alive for another 23 years bare minimum! Smile

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.