thing to recover after surgery (Read 1780 times)

running to fly

hey guys i just had surgery on my foot and was wondering how long it took most of you  to come back from surgery

i had surgery on my fifth metatarsel last friday adn the doctor says 6 weeks but i was wondering if any of you had that same problem

i have been taking calcuim pills to help the bone hela faster and other nutrients to get a better and faster healing process

does anyone have any advice

13' goals

2000 miles running

2000 miles biking

200 mile swimming

try to stay healthy to reach my goals this year

this year im going to start my goal of running 10,000 miles by december 31 of 2016 both biking and running

I had foot surgery in mid-August and I was back to running at the three-month mark. Different surgery though - torn peroneal tendon in my case - so I don't know if it's comparable. I was zero-weight-bearing for two weeks, then partial-weight for another two weeks (although in practice that was zero-weight too, since I really couldn't tolerate any weight at all). At the one-month mark I transitioned into a boot & began PT. It involved mostly weight lifting and riding a stationary bike. After a month of that, I ditched the boot & continued PT for a second month, this time incorporating a lot of agility and balance stuff in addition to the weight lifting and stationary bike. Toward the end of that second month, I began doing some very light running, and at the end of it, I was released to do whatever I like. I just saw the surgeon this morning for my last post-op - it's been four months since surgery - and he told me to run, ski, dance, whatever I wanted. The more I work the foot over this winter, the better off I'll be in the long-term.

Jennie

Silver Falls Half Marathon 11/3/2019 Goals:

1. Don't fall.

2. Finish.

3. See #1 and #2.

This topic came up pretty timely for me. I am having hernia surgery on Friday and my doc is telling me to expect 3 weeks off before I can start again. I realize it is much different than a foot injury, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience returning from this procedure. They are doing it laproscopically (sp?) I haven't had any kind of surgery in close to 50 years so this is all a little new to me. I would like to make it another 50 without further work being done!

Ojo

This topic came up pretty timely for me. I am having hernia surgery on Friday and my doc is telling me to expect 3 weeks off before I can start again. I realize it is much different than a foot injury, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience returning from this procedure. They are doing it laproscopically (sp?) I haven't had any kind of surgery in close to 50 years so this is all a little new to me. I would like to make it another 50 without further work being done!

I had abdominal surgery over the summer and unfortunately it could not be done laparoscopic.  My doctor told me at least 3 - 4 weeks off.  I walked a mile the day I got home from the hospital and slowly increased my miles.  I was able to start running at 3 weeks later and haven't stopped since.  Feel free to check out my log in July and August to see the progression.  Good luck to you!

Sara

MM #2929

HappyFeat

I had a hernia surgery when I was 47 (in case that matters) and couldn't run for 6 full weeks - that was as quickly as my body would allow.  I resumed running slowly, but surely. You'll come back from it. Everyone heals at their own rate. Be thankful it's not a permanent stopper to your running life.

It was kinda funny though when the surgeon was talking to me about surgery, he sat face to face with me and very seriously asked me if I could and would go without running for a few week. He didn't want me to compromise his work, I guess, and knew me well enough to get me to commit to the planned layoff.Joking

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It was kinda funny though when the surgeon was talking to me about surgery, he sat face to face with me and very seriously asked me if I could and would go without running for a few week. He didn't want me to compromise his work, I guess, and knew me well enough to get me to commit to the planned layoff.Joking

Kind of wish you had said, no, I can't stop running, just to see what he would have said. Smile

Today is the day. It feels strange because I woke up at the normal running time today and instead I will be heading to the hospital. Hopefully I'll be posting a progress report in a couple of weeks.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I hope your surgery is very boring routine and you have a good recovery! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Today is the day. It feels strange because I woke up at the normal running time today and instead I will be heading to the hospital. Hopefully I'll be posting a progress report in a couple of weeks.

Good luck, Festus!  Your 30+ mpw leading up to this will definitely make your recovery faster and easier.

Thanks guys. The day after surgery and I'm feeling pretty decent. Now I just have to be patient and get started again when the time is right. I have a follow up visit with the doc in 2 weeks so hopefully I'll get the go ahead to start slowly! Just have to keep in mind that there is plenty of time to get ready for the coming year.

SMART Approach

hey guys i just had surgery on my foot and was wondering how long it took most of you  to come back from surgery

i had surgery on my fifth metatarsel last friday adn the doctor says 6 weeks but i was wondering if any of you had that same problem

i have been taking calcuim pills to help the bone hela faster and other nutrients to get a better and faster healing process

does anyone have any advice

Did you have a screw put in for a 5th metatarsal fracture? Was it a Jone's fracture or at end of bone on "base"? This will matter for recovery. I work with these fractures all the time with the ultrasound bone stimulator I am a rep for. The Jone's area is a watershed area for blood flow so will take longer to heal and risk of non healing is there.  Many patients I deal with don't heal. Typically a Jone's fracture has around a 20-30% non heal rate. If a smoker/diabetic that risk increases. Putting the screw in doesn't necessarily speed healing but it could. The screw provides internal fixation/stability almost like an internal cast so to speak. So, it generally allows earlier weight bearing and perhaps will allow you to run quicker vs. no screw. Athletes who need to get on court/field quicker can get back in 6 weeks. I wouldn't recommend running that quickly it for the average person. I would think within 12 weeks if all goes well, you can be back in the flow if a Jone's fracture. If another area of 5th met., perhaps sooner.

As far a calcium or nutrients. I don't think you need to megadose on these things. Vit.D is nice option as most of us are deficient depending on what climate you live in. I tell patients to be nutritionally sound with no deficiencies and that is about all you can do nutritionally. Listen to the doc.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

DukeDB

Festus:  I've had 2 hernia repair surgeries (a single, then double after the first failed).  First repair, was back in action easily in a week.  Second repair, not so easily, but was able to run as hard as ever within two months.  TAKE NOTE of the postings on this board about ibuprofen & running - my surgeon suggested a hefty dosing of ibuprofen but we did other things after I told him about my running.  DdB

I am starting to feel good enough to want to run but I have to wait. I have been taking my running buddy, my dog, for a few walks to try to keep moving. I think the first week off went okay because I may have needed the break, but now the withdrawal is kicking in! Oh well, I should be fresh and ready to make 2012 an even better year of running. I ran my first 5k's last year and really enjoyed them. Maybe I can work on getting a little faster this year.Thanks to all for the info and thoughts and Merry Christmas to everyone here!

Festus

Jeniffer

Wish you all the very best for your future.. Smile