Heel Pain and Inserts (Read 368 times)

gymmonkey67

Has anyone out there had good luck with using inserts. I have a friend who runs and he as having shin splint and heel pain in the morning. He said he purchased a set of Inserts from place here in Texas called Ideal Feet. He says after a few months and a couple of free refits he is running again with little are no issues. He paid a a couple of hundred bucks. I have been doing the shots they help for a while but i have to go back and they suck. Anyone else out there had luck with inserts?

JML

I used some to combat plantars faciitis.  I never used them when running......only when walking around during the day in my work shoes.  They had a ridge which kept pressure on the point in my foot that was tight and helped to alleviate the pain.  I cannot imagine running in them as I think that it would mess up my running mechanics. Mine cost around $25 from amazon.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Superfeet.

I know a lot of runners that use these for PF. I had PF hell deluxe a year ago...I'm sure these inserts weren't the cure-all, but the PF has disappeared and not returned at all since I started using them about 9 months ago. About $30.

Closed for repairs

I also use Superfeet.

Needs more cowbell!

Shortly before starting training for my first marathon my right knee began acting up.  I tried different shoes, I took a week off, scaled back on mileage...nothing helped.  My last ditch try was throwing a pair of Superfeet in my shoes.  The positive effect was immediate.  Coincidence...maybe?  But I wore them in all my athletic shoes for several years and kept knee stuff at bay.  I tried removing them a few times, but within just a few runs my right knee would start talking again, even on really low mileage in recent years.

I'm no longer wearing them in my running shoes, but have also gradually worked my way into more minimal shoes (Nike Free Runs and Brooks Pure Flows).  Perhaps my problem all along was too much shoe, I don't know.  I still wear Superfeet (yellow in my roads and blue in my mtns.) in my cycling shoes, though.  I tried going back to the stock insoles recently and had REALLY angry feet along the outer peroneal tendon area.  For $30-40 I think they're worth a try.

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 6 duathlons (1 Olympic distance)

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)

I used some to combat plantars faciitis.  I never used them when running......only when walking around during the day in my work shoes.  They had a ridge which kept pressure on the point in my foot that was tight and helped to alleviate the pain.  I cannot imagine running in them as I think that it would mess up my running mechanics. Mine cost around $25 from amazon.

Kind of the same experience as stated above.     I ended up buying two pairs (one for my shoes that I wear to work and a second pair for the shoes I wear when knocking around the house).        I have a pair of racing flats that I wear when I run shorter distances (like 3 to 4 miles) and i tried the inserts in the flats and they it really worked well for me.  

I haven't tried them in a pair of training shoes becasue I also thought it would knock off my running form (what little I have)..

Mine are a pair that cost less than $10.00 at CVS and it was probably the best $10.00 I've ever spent because they really made a difference for me.

http://www.runningshoesforplantarfasciitis.com/plantar-fasciitis-clinically-tested-shock-absorbing-heel-cup-insoles-mens.html

Champions are made when no one is watching

First thing is to make sure what the diagnosis is.  Heel pain can be a lot of things, but PF is the most common.  Typically, the heel pain is worse in the morning, and after runs, especially if you are converting from a heel strike to more mid foot stride.  

You can illicit pain by pressing at the base of the big toe.  

Cause is still debatable, too much support versus not enough.  I like the comments here, whatever works.  I've found active stretching and strengthening of the foot and calves, as well as  plantar release to be effective.

What studies there are on insoles, high priced custom inserts versus store bought have the same outcome.  

As far as injections, most PF doesn't get this bad.  If this truly is the diagnosis, then I would favor trying more conservative approaches first.  

2012 Goals:

Stay healthy, stay running

Lose those extra pounds