New to running - impressed with success so far - Long way to Go. (Read 1010 times)

I would like to introduce my self...Hi
    My Fiance had me do the Color Run Miami two weeks ago. Shes an experienced exercise-aholic, and I am an experienced statistics student couch potato. 

Long story short- she kicked my butt. She ran it in 30 minutes, I ran it in 40. So the transformation has started. I have been training almost everyday and I just ran my best 5K last night - 29:59. 

I have a long way to go before I feel confident that I can beat her(I know she was going easy on me).

Essentially - my goal is a 40 minute 10k by approximately April of 2013. I feel, if I can do that, I have a good chance of beating her (I dont know if that is a realistic goal).

Im not only training to beat her. Im addicted to running. When I first moved to south florida, and had no job, I ran everyday, twice a day. but never tracked my results. Only result I had was the loss of 30 lbs. I then slowly fell out of it.

Sub 30 5k, Sub 25 5k, Sub  50 10k, Win a 5k

Welcome! Glad to have you along for the journey with the rest of us.

It's awesome that you've found the passion for running, especially that you can share that with your girlfriend.

Essentially - my goal is a 40 minute 10k by approximately April of 2013. I feel, if I can do that, I have a good chance of beating her.

My only caution, FWIW, is to back off on this goal for a bit. A 40 min 10k is no easy feat...you'll find plenty of forum space taken up here on those trying to go sub-20 for their 5k, let alone go out and kill a 10k in 39Tight lippedx.

Couple of ideas:
      * Keep your log public. Let others in so they can offer tips and advice. I've learned TONS by being a part of this community and allowing them into my training regime.

* Pace yourself. You've got plenty of time to achieve your goals!

* Set realistic goals. You've beat 30 min for the 5k, now shoot for sub-25. 

* Don't fall into the "too much/too soon" pit. It's so easy to get caught up and keep adding mileage...but then along come injury. Many of us can attest to that, and it's not worth it. Build your mileage up slowly.

* Have fun! Don't ever forget that part!

Alright - I see where you are coming from. 25 minute 5K will be the goal.

My log book is now public for the world to see.

Sub 30 5k, Sub 25 5k, Sub  50 10k, Win a 5k

MrNamtor

Let me point out 2 things.

1. I totally agree with molsenrunner that a 40 minute 5k for you is a completely unrealistic goal for the near future.

2. Never let anyone tell you what is unrealistic as a goal for you. If you really want to go for a 40 minute 10k, then go for it. The worst that will happen is you won't reach it - in which case you are no worse off than if you decided it was impossible to begin with, thereby completely insuring that you won't reach it.

EDIT: I also agree completely with molsen's caution about doing too much too soon. Push hard but be sensible. You sound like you're very young, so you can afford to make some mistakes. But don't be a kamakazi.

1. I totally agree with molsenrunner that a 40 minute 5k for you is a completely unrealistic goal for the near future.

2. Never let anyone tell you what is unrealistic as a goal for you. If you really want to go for a 40 minute 10k, then go for it. The worst that will happen is you won't reach it - in which case you are no worse off than if you decided it was impossible to begin with, thereby completely insuring that you won't reach it.

EDIT: I also agree completely with molsen's caution about doing too much too soon. Push hard but be sensible. You sound like you're very young, so you can afford to make some mistakes. But don't be a kamakazi.

Wait a minute.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Any experience with any of this?

I'm speaking from 10+ years of running, MrNamtor. I've been the culprit of injury because of too much, too soon. 

I've also set out with unrealistic goals too early in the game and wish that I had someone speaking sensible advice into my life. 

He asked for advice, it was given to him. I gave him encouragement, some tips, and helped him set goals. Timely goals. ever try that? It's called wisdom. 

nevermind.

zonykel

Note that your heart will improve faster than your legs. IMO, that may be a reason why so many runners get hurt (they train at a pace that's too fast).

MrNamtor

Any experience with any of this?

I'm speaking from 10+ years of running, MrNamtor. I've been the culprit of injury because of too much, too soon. 

I've also set out with unrealistic goals too early in the game and wish that I had someone speaking sensible advice into my life. 

He asked for advice, it was given to him. I gave him encouragement, some tips, and helped him set goals. Timely goals. ever try that? It's called wisdom. 

nevermind.

You know, i was just trying to say that while i totally agreed with your advice and assessment of what was a realistic goal for him,  one should not let others set their goals for them.

But I see your point. And rethinking what I wrote,  I think you gave him good advice and I gave him bad advice. I think he should follow your advice and ignore mine. Which I'm sure he will do.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

All bickering about goals aside, have a look at the OP's training log.  Either you (mathstatrunner) are forgetting to log a bunch of runs or you really need to get consistent if you want to even shave time off your current 5K.  You're in Florida so you can't use weather as an excuse, get out there 4-5 days a week and get logging mileage.  This is the time of year to build your base fitness so that you can run races next spring/summer/fall and maybe take a whack at whatever goals you end up setting.  

I know where you're coming from because my log was just as blank and sporadic just last summer, but over this fall I've kept on it, kept getting out the door, and let me tell ya it feels great.  My legs are recovering faster, longer runs are getting easier, hills are becoming fun, etc etc.  But best of all is knowing that the work I put in now will pay off in goal races next year and that running those races is going to be a blast.

Purdey

Self anointed title

2. Never let anyone tell you what is unrealistic as a goal for you.

Classic.  Assuming it was posted with self-awareness....

JML

All bickering about goals aside, have a look at the OP's training log.  Either you (mathstatrunner) are forgetting to log a bunch of runs or you really need to get consistent if you want to even shave time off your current 5K.  You're in Florida so you can't use weather as an excuse, get out there 4-5 days a week and get logging mileage.  This is the time of year to build your base fitness so that you can run races next spring/summer/fall and maybe take a whack at whatever goals you end up setting.  

I know where you're coming from because my log was just as blank and sporadic just last summer, but over this fall I've kept on it, kept getting out the door, and let me tell ya it feels great.  My legs are recovering faster, longer runs are getting easier, hills are becoming fun, etc etc.  But best of all is knowing that the work I put in now will pay off in goal races next year and that running those races is going to be a blast.

+1 on this.  In my experience, running is a game of consistency.  Since I came back to running in 2009, I have watched my race times improve as I have managed to log mileage and build a solid base.  There is nothing wrong with having goals.  My only advice is to set some interim goals that involve consistency.  For me, it is making sure  that I log 3-4 runs per week through out the year even when I am not actively training for a race.  If you have a solid base, the rest of the race specific stuff is a whole lot easier.  

Good luck!

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Jenven

You're in Florida so you can't use weather as an excuse, get out there 4-5 days a week and get logging mileage.  This is the time of year to build your base fitness so that you can run races next spring/summer/fall and maybe take a whack at whatever goals you end up setting.  

Question about this. I'm still only running 3-4 days a week based on C25K's recommendation of not wanting to increase too much for fear of injury. Now that I'm up to 30+ minutes and not having any lingering pain after a run, should I go ahead and increase this 4-5 days?  My 5k isn't scheduled until January because I wanted to use this time to get faster.

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

Question about this. I'm still only running 3-4 days a week based on C25K's recommendation of not wanting to increase too much for fear of injury. Now that I'm up to 30+ minutes and not having any lingering pain after a run, should I go ahead and increase this 4-5 days?  My 5k isn't scheduled until January because I wanted to use this time to get faster.

Yes. Even if it's only for 2-3 km at first.

Jenven

Great. Only running once on the weekend has seemed like a waste to me. Saturday, Sunday here I come!

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

Most definitely.  Running more days a week has a way of making it so that you don't run too hard, in my opinion.  Less time to recover makes it more imperative that your easy runs are truly easy.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek