Sub-17 Thread (Read 465 times)

Tweeeked

I'd like to join in, it may take me a little bit to be sub 17 but it's a goal of mine. My personal best is only 20:44 right now but i've only been running for about 3 months. So with some good training i'm going for a sub 17.

You might want to check out the sub-20 and sub-18 threads first!

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
    • 10k: sub-36
    • Half: sub-76
    • Full: 2:45 in Boston
    bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Solid attempt. You'll get it soon. The heat is a real jerk.

Failed today with a 17:20.   5:25/5:35/5:45 splits...heat and a couple average weeks of training killed the second half of the race.   Will try earnestly again in a month when it cools down.

jruston

PR-15:34 at age 23

Current Age: 35

Doing a 5k on Aug. 12 but I have been fighting a cold so we will see how close I can get.

Alrighty.  Time to get ye olde asse into gear.  Let the journey back begin.

Current weight:  188.5

Goal weight:  155

Goal mileage for the week:  40

The plan is to get into shape this fall and winter for a 5k in the spring.  No plans to run sub-17 in the spring, but it will give me an indication of fitness, and I'll be able to plan future races and training from there.

Training will be 3 weeks "on", and 1 week "off".

The most pressing need it to lose weight to make running a little easier.  It's going to be hard to give up some bad eating habits.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

robertaajr

You might want to check out the sub-20 and sub-18 threads first!

Well I ran that sub 18:00 today. I think i'm ready to attempt a sub 17:00 next. Now can I get my name up there so I have something to look forward to and hopefully motivate me?

Tweeeked

From +20 to 18:00 - killer! Awesome job.

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
              • 10k: sub-36
              • Half: sub-76
              • Full: 2:45 in Boston
              robertaajr

Official time was 17:46 new PR

Week one complete.  Mileage goal met.  Included a fartlek workout that got my legs moving, and they felt good.  Ankle was sore from basketball on Wednesday night, so it's probably time to retire from that.

I'm eating somewhat better, and I only had a sip or two of soda during the week.  I'm now throwing down LaCroix water, so I hope that's good for me.  And only one beer this week.

Week Two

Current weight:  185.5 (-3 from last week)

Hill work instead of a fartlek?

ultramarathon/triathlete

There was a time I thought breaking 19 would be nearly impossible, after doing that sub18 was certainly impossible after doing that (a few times this season already) 17 seems unbreakable. But I ran a comfortable but hard 17:35 (new PR!) this weekend at a not flat/not wickedly hilly 5k in Connecticut. Good for 2nd place and my bigger family was there so that was cool. It was handful of seconds off my previous PR and probably close to a good a minute faster than this time of year last season. So, why not. Sign me up for sub-17. Maybe I'll hit it next season if things keep going well!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Week 2 down.  Weekly mileage goal met.

No workout this week, but a fast 4-miler that could be considered a workout at this point.  Nutrition was bad--too much football watching.  3 beers, one soda.

On a positive note, I had my longest long run since September 14th...of 2014.  And it wasn't too slow either.

Week 3

Current weight:  185 (-.5 from last week)

Need a workout this week.  I'll take anything--hills, fartlek, tempo--it doesn't matter.

I took my first step to that possible sub 17 5k yesterday.  It was a 3 miler at 5:31 pace.  It might be close.  My 5k attempt will be on November 7th.

Week 3 finished.  Weekly goal mileage met.  Workout:  Ran a 5K in 20:21.  It was a trail race that finished up a hill, so I think I'm good for a sub-20.  I had a very sore foot on my long run that I'm hoping goes away with my "off " week.

No soda.  Two beers.

Week Four

Current weight:  183 (-2 from last week)

Goal mileage for the week:  20

Taking two or three days off this week to rest the foot.  Maybe a short workout.  I weighed in this morning dehydrated, I think.  Next weeks weigh-in could be bad because of the lack of mileage and my bad eating habits.  Maybe I can suck it up for one week and have some discipline?

Count me out unless you are counting age grading.

Age graded 15:07 last spring, but have fallen way off pace in 5Ks since then. Sigh.

I'm behind!

Week four was a gigantic fail!  Only eight miles instead of 20.  And a bunch of beer, soda, and generally terrible food.  But  you know what?  It felt good.  That break was helpful for physical recovery.

Week 5

Current weight:  184.5 (+1.5)

The most important think about this week is getting back on track and hitting the mileage.

Week five was back on track.  Hit 40 miles despite a day off, but there was not workout during the week.  Also, only one beer and one soda and a little better in the eating department for the week.

Week 6

Current weight:  182

Goal mileage for the week:  45

I really should get in a workout this week.  I'll be trying for a hill workout later in the week--possibly on Saturday?

Week six.  Meh.  Didn't hit my goal mileage.  Stomach problems cut my long run from 13 to 10, but I did get in a workout.  A hill one.  On Saturday.  Just like I planned.

Week 7

Current weight:  179.5 (-2.5)

Goal mileage for the week:  45

Three beers, but no soda.

Going to try again for 45 and a good workout.  Then I have a down week, and then move on to 50 mpw.  I'm more optimistic now that things are going in the right direction.  60 mpw is the magic number.