Tweeked Hamstring with a week until marathon (Read 1369 times)

Sandi Sue

I started my training taper last week and the minute the taper started, my right hamstring started to hurt. My plan is to lay off running for 5 days, get a deep tissue massage and then hopefully run the marathon. Does anyone else have any other thoughts? I know I'm supposed to HTFU but I would really rather not endure a torn hamstring for 26.2 miles.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

I don't have any advice to offer, just lots of sympathy. I did the same thing right before my half marathon in May, except I didn't take any time off, just medicated and ran anyway. Shocked I ended up having to pretty much take the summer off and am just now able to start putting in the miles again. Be careful with it. Hamstring problems can be slow to heal. Teresa

I started my training taper last week and the minute the taper started, my right hamstring started to hurt. My plan is to lay off running for 5 days, get a deep tissue massage and then hopefully run the marathon. Does anyone else have any other thoughts? I know I'm supposed to HTFU but I would really rather not endure a torn hamstring for 26.2 miles.
        Do at least an easy 2 or 3 miler the day before the race. You don't want to go into a marathon (especially with a potential injury) without having gotten any running in the week before. Even healthy, I always try to run and stretch out the legs the day before (well, jig jog at any rate). Before I ran the San Antonio Marathon in 2004, I pulled a hamstring doing quarter mile hill repeats with my team. This was probably related to getting lost a week earlier and turning a 17 miler into a 28 miler. I mostly recovered before the marathon, and I felt fine for the first 12 miles of the marathon. Then I repulled the hamstring. I decided during the race to keep going and to just slow down until the pain was manageable. If the pain didn't become managable, then I'd quit. By slowing the pace down, I was able to finish without being too much the worse for wear (and still ran a BQ although a slower one than I already had) but I probably would have been better off not running. I'd take it very easy and play it by ear. You probably should go for the massage earlier rather than later, and then test it at least once if not twice before the race. Run through an annoyance, but don't run through pain. There'll be other races.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

Good advice from Blaine. You won't lose your endurance in a couple of weeks, take a few days off, then get some real easy runs in so long as you do so without aggravating the hammy. Hamstrings take a long time to heal, but you can avoid making it worse. An easy run the day before the marathon is a good idea, even if it's just a mile or two. On race day, get a nice, gentle warmup. You might need to lower your expectations for the race. What might have been a PR might now be a "finish". One more thing--be really careful when stretching the injured hamstring. I've aggravated a sore hamstring by stretching more than by running.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

One more thing--be really careful when stretching the injured hamstring. I've aggravated a sore hamstring by stretching more than by running.
            Good point. Save the stretching for after your runs, and concentrate on a nice progressive warmup instead.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Sandi Sue

As usual everyone has some great advice. I had to laugh at the slow down comments though because my finish expectation was around 4:40. So if I have to finish with any slower time then that, they may close down the race before I get there. LOL I ran an easy 8 miler today and I was able to endure the discomfort and iced it when I got home. Massage tomorrow and I'll make sure I do a couple of easy runs when I get to California just so I can get used to the higher altitude. The race starts at 5200 and I live and train at sea level. I can endure anything for 5 hours.

Races for 2013:

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Imminent Catastrophe

Which race are you doing, Bizz Johnson? If so, I look forward to your RR, that's one I've wanted to do. Sounds really beautiful!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Sandi Sue

Yep, that's the one. Crabby and I and a few others from Juneau, AK are heading down for a break from SE AK rain. We'll both probably write a RR. Wish us luck!

Races for 2013:

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)