2015 Gardening Thread (Read 121 times)

Prince of Fatness

We had frost Saturday night and since we were expecting a hard freeze last night I cleaned up the garden yesterday.  It ended up getting down in the low to mid 20's last night.  The hot dry spell that we had in August and September stunted the growth of the pumpkin plants.  I found two decent sized pumpkins but they hadn't ripened yet.  I'll leave them sit outside and maybe they will ripen.  I had another year of tomatoes that just would not ripen on the vines.  Got very few of them. Potato yields were just OK.  I am hoping that next year will be better.

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

I have some decent butternut squash and a few cucumbers.  Tomatoes were disappointing.   Some are still on the bushes ripening slowly.

Runners run

spinach

We had our first freeze this weekend, that killed the tomatoes, beans, and squash.  It was a very good year for beans, lesser for the squash and tomatoes, we had a wet year that brought on diseases.  The kale, collards and swiss chard are still going strong, this was a good year for them.  I can't believe that I had still been picking several pounds of green beans in October,  I got about 5 pounds last week, I had never had any beans in October here in MInnesota before this year.

Feeling the growl again

Wine yield was excellent; in general, the orchard and vineyard produced a high yield.

Strawberries were a bumper crop, and I finished digging about 8-10 milk crates of potatoes last weekend.  The only things that were a bust this year were the green beans (too wet, stunted growth) and viney stuff.  It was just too wet in June/July, the garden intended for them was soup and I never even got pumpkins planted.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Our year was so-so.  Tomatoes were not as good as we're accustomed to though we have a several big bags of sun-dried tomatoes, jars of tomatoe sauce frozen and some still on the vine.  None of our vine crops grew very well (squash, cucumber, zuchinni etc).  Peppers were a bust.  Potatoes not so good either.  We did get a nice bumper crop of garlic andonions.

I think the ongoing California drought is killing our garden as we're being cautious with the water.

We just planted another crop of winter leafy veggies.  They should grow well since, I hope, we're getting into our 'rainy' season.

Prince of Fatness

I am jealous of you folks that are growing green beans. My plants never last more than a few days before the deer get them. I didn't even bother trying this year.

I think this year the biggest problem was that the rain was feast or famine. We would get a ton of rain for a week then go a month with barely any.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I am jealous of you folks that are growing green beans. My plants never last more than a few days before the deer get them. I didn't even bother trying this year.

They are small enough that you could build screens to put over them.  I have the opposite problem, I'm trying to DRAW deer onto my property.  Wink

Typically we grow them every other year and can about 100 quarts.  I hate to muck with them every year.  This year I did <30...I will have to grow them again next year.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

They are small enough that you could build screens to put over them. 

Yeah I was thinking of framing some chicken wire cages. Just had no time for it this year.  Really only need to cover a small area. I hope to try it next year.

Not at it at all. 

pedaling fool

Did you all know this is the International Year of soils, so designated by the UN. I  didn't know...but found out as I was reading this article about earth worms, which I basically raise. I don't raise them in bins, rather have turned my yard into a habitat for worms and many other soil organisms by reducing large amounts of grass -- replaced by mulch.  http://cen.acs.org/articles/93/i41/Night-Crawler-Chemistry.html

JanaLamb

You might want to try planting in raised beds! Even if it’s just the simple ones. It sometimes takes a lot of time to build but if it’s built well, it can have a lot of benefits. Especially in protecting your plant.

I think this year the biggest problem was that the rain was feast or famine. We would get a ton of rain for a week then go a month with barely any.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Feeling the growl again

You might want to try planting in raised beds! Even if it’s just the simple ones. It sometimes takes a lot of time to build but if it’s built well, it can have a lot of benefits. Especially in protecting your plant.

If deer are the problem, the only thing raise beds will accomplish is relieve the neck strain for the deer.  Wink

JanaLamb

If deer are the problem, the only thing raise beds will accomplish is relieve the neck strain for the deer.  Wink

But when there are raised beds, it’s easier to build a stable plant cover, like a net something. Still not sure if that’ll be strong enough for a deer, though. :/

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Prince of Fatness

But when there are raised beds, it’s easier to build a stable plant cover, like a net something. Still not sure if that’ll be strong enough for a deer, though. :/

I'm thinking that it needs to keep the deer out but also not make it a pain to harvest. Still like this idea.....

Yeah I was thinking of framing some chicken wire cages. Just had no time for it this year.  Really only need to cover a small area. I hope to try it next year.

So, get some pressure treated lumber and build a frame, then line it with chicken wire except the bottom.  Small enough that it is easy to pick up and move so I can get at the plants. I grow bush beans which don't need a lot of room so this think won't have to be overly bulky.  Maybe build a couple of them.

Not at it at all.