Who doesnt listen to music while running? (Read 3009 times)

cat/dog furniture

No music for me.  I'm not opposed to the idea; I just haven't ever tried it. 

Ok, I wasn't technically on the run, but on my way home from the trails, I couldn't stop playing Mariah Carey Fantasy.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prince of Fatness

Ok, I wasn't technically on the run, but on my way home from the trails, I couldn't stop playing Mariah Carey Fantasy.

Awkward, none the less.

Not at it at all. 

Young724

I listen to music while running on the treadmill, but refuse to try it outside.  I love being outside and want to be aware of and enjoy everything around me, including the sounds.  I say hi to all runners I see on the trail I run, but have noticed that very few runners with earbuds in say hi back or acknowledge me.

I don't...unless I am on a treadmill; but that only happened 3 times this year. 

Beginner all over again

. Who else runs without music?

I never run with music.

Smile

Only have a couple times and didn't like it for two reasons:

1 - I can't hear what's going on around me like cars coming, dogs chasing, etc.

2- When I encounter other runners, I tend to give them a "hey!" but w/ music, I can't hear what they've said. 

xor

This interests me.  No, not music while running.

Zombie threads.

This thread was resurrected from the dead... but really, there's only a 3 month gap between posts.  I say that is quick enough on this forum that it isn't quite a "zombie thread".  But I don't know.

1. How big does the gap need to be?

2. Is it subject dependent?

jfa

I always bring my ipod, but I often forget to turn it on. I just let my mind wander and get into the run. Other times, like on long runs, I won't turn it on until the second half of the run. I mostly run in places without cars though, so it's less dangerous. The Chicago Marathon last fall was the first time that listening devices were not banned during any of my races, and I never turned mine on.

way to kill it george! this is waay more interestin.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

runjanerun

No music for me.  I love it when I'm cleaning so I guess I can see it as motivation, but I've never needed it for running. 

I also hate the feeling of earbuds, any earbuds, in my ear.  Things should never be in my ear, and I have tiny ears that many don't fit right. I'd have to run along with a stereo Smile

Am I doing this right?

This interests me.  No, not music while running.

Zombie threads.

This thread was resurrected from the dead... but really, there's only a 3 month gap between posts.  I say that is quick enough on this forum that it isn't quite a "zombie thread".  But I don't know.

1. How big does the gap need to be?

2. Is it subject dependent?

IMO...14 days makes it dead.  I'm willing to stretch that to 30. 

The subject matter doesn't matter unless it's about beer.  Then it never gets old.  Maybe a little funky, but not old.

Oh, and to keep it on subject, it depends.  Sometimes I feel like music, sometimes I don't.  All depends if I feel like a nut or not.

No excuses....

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

IMO...14 days makes it dead.  I'm willing to stretch that to 30. 

The subject matter doesn't matter unless it's about beer.  Then it never gets old.  Maybe a little funky, but not old.

Oh, and to keep it on subject, it depends.  Sometimes I feel like music, sometimes I don't.  All depends if I feel like a nut or not.

Not necessarily the subject matter so much as the subject line.  A good, sensational headline can instigate clicks from people who otherwise wouldn't care enough to resurrect the dead.  Not saying this particular one is sensational.  This one must just be a timeless topic for runners.  The undead.

xor

BTW, specific to resurrecting threads, this is generally an ok thing... somebody used search and/or read through threads and picked it rather than starting an identical thread.  Usually a thumbs up.

What's fun, though, about zombie threads is that usually responders don't realize that a thread is old when they reply.  Sometimes... like with a thread like this... the subject is timeless and so that doesn't matter.  Although it is amusing to respond to a thread only to realize that I *already* responded to the same thread x pages back (and perhaps a year or two before).  And double especially when I provide a different answer.

But some zombie threads are just weird.  Like the "what do I do about this??" thread that gets churned up 3 years later with a straight "do this" response.  I'm thinking that if 3 years has passed, the issue is likely resolved.

This is more interesting in other message boards like RWOL.  The search on RWOL doesn't work for crap, so when someone pulls up an old thread, it is usually a mistake or a complete Confused... and responders absolutely don't know that and start piling on with the "help".

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

No music for me. I might start dancing. And scaring the other runners. And wildlife. And distracting drivers. It wouldn't be pretty.

Plus, I like to hear what's around me, and what's coming from me - my breathing, my footstrike, my bones creaking ... Can't do that if I'm pumping 80's new wave into my ears. Wink

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.