Attacked while Running... (Read 830 times)

Glad you are ok Alex- that is horrible.
    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com

The Meek One

Wow, I never imagined people would go so far out of thier way to harrass a runner. I am really glad everyone who has responded have not been seriously harmed. As a runner what is the best way to deal with these sort of incidents?
        Oh no, Alex!!! That's awful Sad
        2009: BQ?

Anyone have pizza?

That's okay. My right ear is still a little sore, but nothing bad. I plan to do another run through Forest Park real soon too because I reuse to cower to cowards. Perhaps I'll bring pepper spray next time and perhaps some metal knuckles too. I'm actually turning this negative into a positive and am running like a maniac this week! Smile I figured it out this way, I can either decide to sacrifice my running or just keep doing what I like to do. And running is one of the things that I love best. Anyway, even if it was a nasty experience for me, it at least made for an interesting blog. Tongue My Dad lives in Florida, and he can't stand NY. I haven't even told him, and I can only imagine what his next set of comments on my blog will be when he reads it

That's okay. My right ear is still a little sore, but nothing bad. I plan to do another run through Forest Park real soon too because I reuse to cower to cowards. Perhaps I'll bring pepper spray next time and perhaps some metal knuckles too.
            I think that if they came up on you again and you were ready w/some metal knuckles, that they'd be in for a bit of a surprise. I also think that you better take out the leader quick, because otherwise the 8 of them will jump you and you'll have more than a sore ear! The only time I've ever thrown punches was during a race and it was with another runner. I was in high school at the time, and despite being a foot shorter I got the better end of the deal, plus I beat him in the race. I never saw him again after that, and we used to race his team quite a bit.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Anyone have pizza?

Good point. It would also have to be at the beginning of my run.....I doubt I could muster that kind of intensity, after say, a 12 miler!!! Dead
              jcasetnl

That really sucks. Sorry to hear it. One time I was at the Oakland Coliseum with my then girlfriend. She was from the east coast and a Red Sox fan. She was wearing her Red Sox hat and walking somewhat ahead of me. I guess these idiots thought she was alone so they started harassing her. They got in her face and said some things I won't repeat but which sent my adrenaline into the stratosphere. I got in the main guy's face, and his coward friends, seeing she was with a guy, immediately shut up and went back to their seats. But this kid wasn't gonna back down, and was asking me what I was gonna do about it and all that, really taunting me. We were both standing on the stairs and I was standing above him and he was obviously a little drunk. It would have been very easy for me to shove this kid and send him flying down the concrete steps, and boy was I close to doing just that. Then I suddenly realized how stupid the whole thing was. What did I have to prove this punk kid? And at what cost? Get in a fight at the ballpark and you can bet I'm going to jail. Moreover, why did he take the time out of his oh-so-busy schedule and productive life to insult my girlfriend over stupid sports teams? "You know what kid. The reason you're putting on this big show is because you're a nobody. You're nothing. And the way you're going, you're never gonna be anything. But you think getting in my face makes you a big shot." And I walked away. So why I relate this story is because that loser that popped you is exactly that - a loser - so far behind in life's race and so pathetic, the only way he can feel like a somebody for a little while is to make other people feel bad. How pathetic is that?

Anyone have pizza?

They are absolute losers. All I kept thinking about afterwards (besides hoping to find my glasses which I did) was how I can see their lives turning out. Or better still turning in, as in turning in back to their cells, because at this rate, they will probably spend time in prison down the road for probably far worse than what happened a couple of days ago. However, and like 'Run To Win' said, if I ever had the opportunity to get "payback", that I better make sure I can actually win. Knowing my temper, it's a good thing that I was totally blindsided. Otherwise, I might have made a foolish mistake. After all their were 8 thugs (although only 1 had the cowardice to do anything).