NYC Marathon 2012 (Read 2541 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

well, looks like the whiney bitches win.

thanks a lot guys.  I'm sure we all in NYC will be just sooooooo much better off now.

Wow, that stereotype of the self-centered runner clearly has some basis in fact.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

well, looks like the whiney bitches win.

thanks a lot guys.  I'm sure we all in NYC will be just sooooooo much better off now.

How did you know Mayor Bloomberg lurks here? We sure are an influential bunch aren't we?

FWIW, the whole situation just sucks but running is just not that important.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Wow, that stereotype of the self-centered runner clearly has some basis in fact.

I hadn't heard about the self-centered runner, but the triathlete - you betcha.

Liz

pace sera, sera

bhearn

This is a real clusterf*ck.

FB post from a friend, waiting in line at the expo to pick up her bib:

"OMG...this could turn ugly. People are screaming and push each other...insane!"

Feeling the growl again

they really handled this poorly. I strongly believe the race should not be run. That resources should be given to those in need. I think the majority of participants would donate their entry fees to relief. So the water, food, etc..could go to those that need it.

So they finally cancel it after those that are coming from out of town are likely already in NYC or en route. Personally, I dont think I would have made the trip, but Im sure many did.

+1.  The whole process is disappointing on so many levels.  Waiting to cancel until everyone in NY who would be p'd off about holding the race are already p'd off, and the runners have scrambled all week trying to change their plans around....and many of them already en route (or there).  

Congratulations, NYRR, I think you just managed to agitate the maximum number of people under any possible scenario.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

+1.  The whole process is disappointing on so many levels.  Waiting to cancel until everyone in NY who would be p'd off about holding the race are already p'd off, and the runners have scrambled all week trying to change their plans around....and many of them already en route (or there).  

Congratulations, NYRR, I think you just managed to agitate the maximum number of people under any possible scenario.

I think we'd be seeing a totally different scenario had they made the call even 24 hours earlier.  Shit or get off the pot.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

MrH

This is a real clusterf*ck.

FB post from a friend, waiting in line at the expo to pick up her bib:

"OMG...this could turn ugly. People are screaming and push each other...insane!"

Richmond marathon next weekend has spaces available, apparently. 

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

MrH

Not yet; they still have the opportunity NOT to direct the supplies and resources lined up for the marathon, and located just a few blocks from the devastation, toward those in desperate straits.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

bhearn

Not yet; they still have the opportunity NOT to direct the supplies and resources line up for the marathon, and located just a few blocks from the devestation, toward those in desperate straits.

I will be surprised if they manage to redirect those resources.

MrH

For PR, if nothing else, they make the attempt to distribute the water, food, blankets etc.

The process is the goal.

BeeRunB

Conspiracy Theory #1: They waited to cancel until many runners would show up so that they would still spend money at the expo, and in the cities restaurants, stores, and hotels, etc. Money make the world go round, it makes the world go round.....

seanster

ME

http://www.walkjogrun.net/blog/index.cfm/2012/10/30/Alternative-Marathons-for-the-ING-New-York-City-Marathon

§ SIGNATURE§

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Surely they'll manage to summon some reporters with cameras to record them moving some generators or blankets or something.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am speechless.

You have...<snip>

I am not sure that word means what you think it means.

Heh - j/k.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I hadn't heard about the self-centered runner, but the triathlete - you betcha.

Zoom and Buzzie

I spent yesterday and this morning clearing out my closet of warm clothes and took them to the YMCA across the street and handed them out to people sheltered there.  I also schlept boxes of children's books I had home from my office to a teacher friend to distribute to kids so they had something to do while the power was out in their homes.  I also bought and brought bottled water but I had no canned food to donate (I ate it in the week I've been stuck in my home with my pregnant wife and no transportation and empty grocery shelves).  But since you know me so well, feel free to call me self centered.   I probably am and you probably know best, looking in from outside.  I was looking forward to this race as a resident who wanted to move on, and also who trained all year for this specific weekend.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team