'Silk' soy milk? (Read 1348 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And the fat that rises to the top of milk is tasty.
    Mmm...clotted cream... /Homer Mike, another thought if you just want cow's milk that will keep a long time is to see if you can find smaller containers of UHT milk (same process that makes those coffee creamers that can stay on tables at restaurants without refrigeration). That's stuff's really prevalent in the UK...I don't know that I've ever seen it here in the US--no clue if you could find it by you, either. It was convenient when did was a student living in a flat in Scotland. He could walk to Safeway and buy "cases" of milk. They were basically like 4-6 individual quart packages kind of like juice boxes. The stuff doesn't need to be refrigerated until it's opened and he would go through a quart every few days.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Was just sent this article - thought I would share.... http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/soycontroversy.aspx

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)

skinnycaponesugar

With unhomogenized milk, you do not need to boil it. The fat will just rise. That is why "they" invented homogenization, to : a) keep the fat from rising in whole milk, and b) to remove the fat in lowfat milk. The problem is, the homogenization process likely alters the milk in some way that is unhealthy...which is why RZR and I see it sticking to the pan when heated. Yes. I know about this debate. I do think it a farce that the penalties in most states for selling raw milk are higher than the penalties for selling some street drugs. But we have no good evidence that pasteurization changes milk in a way that is potentially dangerous. Of course, I have no research evidence to support my concern about homogenization either, but the pot sticking thing and certain epidemiological trends seem to support it (to a degree). Plus, unhomogenized milk tastes better. Plus, I can get unhomogenized milk easily and legally. You may want to try pasteurized but unhomogenized milk if you can find it. I personally just don't know what the big deal about scraping the fat off the milk is, and why it is so hard to find unhomogenized milk in many places. Fat rising to the top is what milk is about, and that fat (i.e., heavy cream) is useful in many recipes or is easily thrown out if you need to avoid it. It goes along with the usual American trend of removing food from its sources when presenting it in the store. Many kids don't realize, for example, that carrots come from the ground or that the meat so neatly prepackaged in the grocery store comes from real animals. For real. I think that disrespects the animals and the people that produce our food. Chickens have heads and we should be ready to deal with that fact. And the fat that rises to the top of milk is tasty.
        I had to try it and the milk stuck to the pot tastes like cheese, although it isn't a great amount. I'd be inclined to think that this is harmless. I'll have to conduct my own trials on unhomogenised milk Big grin If homogenisation and pausterisation processes were introduced on the same era (?), then it would be hard to decide which one the epidemiological trends can be attributed to. I can get unhomogenised milk easily, as well. The trick with the unpasteurised milk around here is that it is sold as a cosmetic. The label says "Unpasteurised unhomogenised organic cow's milk. not for human consumption, cosmetic use only" as in having a milk bath, how decadent would that be!?. The cows this milk comes from are fed grass, not grain. The debate about people knowing where food comes from, especially meat, probably belongs in a different thread, but I agree, respect your food, know where it comes from, teach kids... Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

skinnycaponesugar

Was just sent this article - thought I would share.... http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/soycontroversy.aspx
          Wow, that's interesting. Sally Fallon is one of the raw milk campaigners Shocked She's named on this article about being anti-soy. One has to wonder...

Love, Run, Sleep

Gotta TRI

It's the only brand of soy milk I like (and I can't drink regular milk). I drink a glass of the light chocolate after every run. It significantly decreased my night sweats and hot flashes.
            Really? My wife is having wicked night sweats. would you have any other tips or suggestions for this?
            2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If homogenisation and pausterisation processes were introduced on the same era (?), then it would be hard to decide which one the epidemiological trends can be attributed to.
              I totally agree. But one makes biologic sense and is backed up by other observations (like the sticking to the pot) while the other does not.

flatland mountaineer

My father left the farm never to return and got a degree in Dairy Science with chem and bacteriology minors . He worked his way through college at the university dairy (UNL) and dairy products store. He worked several years after that as a quality control trouble shooter for a dairy products company and was sent all over the midwest. He could not resist the pull back to the farm. For years we had a few milk cows and always, and I do mean always, pasturized our milk. Cream was separated with a "separator" a centrifuge type device which seems to be a premanent fixture in our basement.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

R2Farm, the centrifuge type device is the classic way to pull the cream off. Those are pretty cool, and likely very safe. Cool story, thanks! Smile
                  jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Really? My wife is having wicked night sweats. would you have any other tips or suggestions for this?
                    I keep the room cool - often have the window open. Also started wearing DH's tech shirts to wick away moisture at night. Exercise helps to some extent.
                      Mike, another thought if you just want cow's milk that will keep a long time is to see if you can find smaller containers of UHT milk.
                      Yeah, I've had that before. That's what we use on the sub for long deployments. Tastes goofy, but it does last a looong time. Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Never thought there would be so much to learn about milk. I shifted back to normal old pasturized skim milk. I'll just drink it faster and buy it more often to keep it from going bad. Thanks again!

~Mike

Any migraine sufferers out there? I have heard that soy can be a migraine trigger, and MSG and red wine are big triggers for me. DH has soy milk in the house all the time, and I like the light chocolate. But, I'm scared to drink it too often 'cause I really hate getting migraines!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have migraines. Everybody is different when it comes to migraine triggers. Soy does not bother me at all.
                          jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Regular milk was my migraine trigger. That's why I switched to soy milk. No problem with the soy.