So would anyone care to explain VO2... (Read 2245 times)

Baby bean!

in the least Shocked Confused Cry Dead way possible? Thanks!

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Dave

You're probably talking about VO2 Max. Wikipedia definition is: VO2 max (also maximal oxygen consumption, maximal oxygen uptake or aerobic capacity) is the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and utilize oxygen during incremental exercise, which reflects the physical fitness of the individual. Here's a graph of horses that sort of shows how two different animals respond: There is a point where the body can't consume any more oxygen, even when the treadmill continues to increase in speed. At that point, your exercise becomes anaerobic and starts to create lactic acid. It is a general fitness measurement and is expressed in terms of volume of oxygen. The RA log calculates it if you put in your weight and maybe some other inputs. Only your hard race efforts will come close to your actual measured value. Here's a chart on what it generally means in terms of fitness: My PR Half Marathon puts me at 42.8 or just barely good. Proof of mediocrity.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Actually, VO2 is the rate at which your body delivers oxygen to working muscles. There is a VO2 associated with any activity. VO2max is the maximal VO2 your body is able to achieve. Your VO2max is pretty well set for life, although with years of consistent training you may be able to increase it a bit. The only true way to know your VO2max is through submaximal exertion testing in a specialized physiology lab. All other VO2max estimates are just estimates.
        theyapper

On the road again...

So, what improves your VO2? Time training? Increased base miles? Faster runs?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

double post

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

double post
              Double posting can increase your V02 max!!!!!!!!!
                Double post Just in case
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, what improves your VO2? Time training? Increased base miles? Faster runs?
                  Your VO2max is pretty well set for life, although with years of consistent training you may be able to increase it a bit.
                  Which is to say, you really DON'T get to improve your VO2max. And your VO2 is neither improved nor worsened; rather it is just an objective measure of oxygen flow during an activity. If you want a higher number, run faster.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jazz hands!

Which is to say, you really DON'T get to improve your VO2max. And your VO2 is neither improved nor worsened; rather it is just an objective measure of oxygen flow during an activity. If you want a higher number, run faster.
                    Okay, so: the VO2max in my log is a reflection of how fast I've been running (slow), not of my actual ability. Because that would take time and a fancy lab. So my VO2max is not 19, though that would explain a lot.
                    run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Jazz hands!

C'mon c'mon.
                      run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The VO2max that shows up in your log is not a VO2max. It is a VO2 for that activity. If the activity was at a true maximal effort, the VO2 listed in the log would approximate your true VO2max. So go out on a track and run 8 x 800 meters with the last one being at your maximal effort, and that will be close. Run a 5k to the point of puking and log the last 0.1 mile split and will also be close.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Is it working guys? Is double posting making your VO2max numbers go up?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In case so...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.