Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

hairshirt knitter

Hooray!  That's a great time!  And, good luck with sub-90.

Thanks. Bit of a tough decision though, only one more half left within striking distance for the season, so whether to try for sub-90, or push on for a Boston qualifying marathon. Next year, the plan is a return to iron-distance triathlon, so an early season BQ attempt may be the way to go...

northernman

Fight The Future

Thanks. Bit of a tough decision though, only one more half left within striking distance for the season, so whether to try for sub-90, or push on for a Boston qualifying marathon. Next year, the plan is a return to iron-distance triathlon, so an early season BQ attempt may be the way to go...

Congrats on a terrific run!! And a training one, at that. I bet feeling relaxed and non-stressed helped

Julia1971

Had my second tune-up race today - a 10K.  I was so nervous before the race.  It's so funny how that feeling never goes away.  My 10K PR fell.  Beat it by over a minute.  Moreover, for once, I feel like I ran it pretty well.  Usually, I finish 10Ks feeling like I went out too fast but not today.  The course starts with a good 1.5 mile downhills so I'm really happy with myself that I didn't go out super fast. 

And, I wore my Pure Connects for the first time in a race!  I think I missed the cushioning.  My left knee hurt a bit in the middle of the race.  But, I think they helped my stride.  I felt like I was bounding more than shuffling.  I got 2 compliments on them, though.  They are cool looking.

With 6 weeks out from NYCM, I'm feeling pretty good about my training.  No solid time goal yet.  I have 2 more tune-up races planned and the weather should be cooling down, so I'll see how those go before I settle on something. 

northernman

Fight The Future

Had my second tune-up race today - a 10K.  I was so nervous before the race.  It's so funny how that feeling never goes away.  My 10K PR fell.  Beat it by over a minute.  Moreover, for once, I feel like I ran it pretty well.  Usually, I finish 10Ks feeling like I went out too fast but not today.  The course starts with a good 1.5 mile downhills so I'm really happy with myself that I didn't go out super fast. 

And, I wore my Pure Connects for the first time in a race!  I think I missed the cushioning.  My left knee hurt a bit in the middle of the race.  But, I think they helped my stride.  I felt like I was bounding more than shuffling.  I got 2 compliments on them, though.  They are cool looking.

With 6 weeks out from NYCM, I'm feeling pretty good about my training.  No solid time goal yet.  I have 2 more tune-up races planned and the weather should be cooling down, so I'll see how those go before I settle on something. 

Nice job, Julia. A minute PR in a 10K is substantial.

So what's the story with Pure Connects? Are those racing flats?

I'm trying to decide what shoes to wear for my race. I almost always run in regular old Asics 2160's (now 2170), but I have a pair of gel hyperspeed 4's that are very light, tempting looking. I worry i'd just trash my feet, though.

Julia1971

Nice job, Julia. A minute PR in a 10K is substantial.

So what's the story with Pure Connects? Are those racing flats?

I'm trying to decide what shoes to wear for my race. I almost always run in regular old Asics 2160's (now 2170), but I have a pair of gel hyperspeed 4's that are very light, tempting looking. I worry i'd just trash my feet, though.

I call my Pure Connects racing flats but I think there's some debate about what that means as far as the weight of the shoe and the heel drop.  I was interested in getting a lighter shoe for running fast stuff because I felt like I wasn't getting good contact with the ground with so much shoe under my feet.  They took some getting used to.  I think the first time I wore them, I wanted to cry/turn around and go home after only a mile or so.  I gave myself a couple months to get used to them but it was only 13 runs/60ish miles and usually 4-6 miles at a time.  But, you're right to be concerned about your feet.  And, as I get ready for my long run today, I think my hamstrings are sorer than they normally are after a race.  But, that could be from the course profile.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Julia1971

Had my last marathon pace run today.  Due to heat, previous attempts have not gone well - all were over a minute slower than goal marathon pace and ended with me cutting the run short.  But, I managed 14 miles @ 7:36 pace today.  W00t!  It wasn't easy, though, and I'm still thinking sub-3:20 is an aggressive goal.  It felt fast most of the time (I actually finished pretty strong), I had some moments where I was really struggling, and I got side stitches at points.  I think low 3:20s if probably wiser.  But, I kinda want to go for it.  How bad can blowing up in a marathon feel?  Smile  I think I've had the idea of it in my head for so long that I'll regret it if I don't try.

northernman

Fight The Future

Had my last marathon pace run today.  Due to heat, previous attempts have not gone well - all were over a minute slower than goal marathon pace and ended with me cutting the run short.  But, I managed 14 miles @ 7:36 pace today.  W00t!  It wasn't easy, though, and I'm still thinking sub-3:20 is an aggressive goal.  It felt fast most of the time (I actually finished pretty strong), I had some moments where I was really struggling, and I got side stitches at points.  I think low 3:20s if probably wiser.  But, I kinda want to go for it.  How bad can blowing up in a marathon feel?  Smile  I think I've had the idea of it in my head for so long that I'll regret it if I don't try.

Me too! my longest marathon pace run one week ago was only 10, but I also ended up at a 7:36 pace. Started out feeling bad, but seemed to feel better towards the end (probably going into hypoglycemic coma). I am pretty sure I cannot go sub-3:20, but as you said, blowing up in a race would not be the end of the world. And we wouldn't know if we didn't try. Do you have 3:20 pacers in your race?

Julia1971

Me too! my longest marathon pace run one week ago was only 10, but I also ended up at a 7:36 pace. Started out feeling bad, but seemed to feel better towards the end (probably going into hypoglycemic coma). I am pretty sure I cannot go sub-3:20, but as you said, blowing up in a race would not be the end of the world. And we wouldn't know if we didn't try. Do you have 3:20 pacers in your race?

7:36 was the pace of the day!  I felt better towards the end, too.  Weird.  But, that tends to be the case with me - I feel pretty crummy for the first hour of a run and then something snaps and I feel fine.

Have you set a goal pace for your race?

No 3:20 pacers at NYCM but I was thinking of trying to find someone to run with mid-race and telling them to "go ahead" at Mile 23.  Wink  I don't like to talk while running so that could be a problem for them.  The only motivation they're liable to get is the stink eye and me saying, "Don't quit on me".  But, I'll have champagne at the finish, so that could be an enticement.  So, I'm going to prepare a motivational playlist just in case.

northernman

Fight The Future

Have you set a goal pace for your race?

I'll go for a 3:20, if you will!

Julia1971

I'll go for a 3:20, if you will!

Deal!

Your race is this weekend, right?  Looking forward to the race report...

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Hi folks!

I could have sworn I was in for this thread, but I must have confused it with the sub 20 5k thread.  I've been mostly just lurking the whole time but now I definitely want to commit to going for sub 3:30 this year. I am running the Marine Corps on October 28th.

I had originally wanted to go for higher miles, but due to a knee injury in the summer I am only topping out in the 50/week range. I thought I had no shot at it based on where I was, but my fast finish long run this Sunday is making me think I've got a chance at it.

I averaged 7:45 pace for the last 10 miles of my 20 mile long run. Should I go for sub 3:30 or do you think it's too aggressive?

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

That is a really strong finish, 10 miles at 15s faster than race pace.  I say go for it. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Julia1971

I averaged 7:45 pace for the last 10 miles of my 20 mile long run. Should I go for sub 3:30 or do you think it's too aggressive?

Looks to me like you're in great shape for a sub-3:30.  Go for it! 

bhearn

deleted -- wrong thread