Gah...we think my dad had a stroke this AM! (Read 681 times)

we just found out my mom has breast cancer. Right now it looks like treatment might just require a lumpectomy, but they won't know for sure until they actually open her up. My best friend died not even a year ago after her 10 year battle with breast cancer, and I'm feeling really helpless being this far away.... Sad
    Carol, I'm so sorry about your mom. I know what you're going through as my mom had lung cancer. I hope that all goes well, and if you ever need to chat, just let me know. ~Joni~

Now that was a bath...

Oh Zoomy, my heart goes out to you and your family. My Dad had a stroke when I still lived at home. He made 99.9% recovery from it and was able to work and drive for the rest of his life. Sometimes when he got really tired his speach was slightly affected but mostly it was only him that noticed it. Hugs Sweatheart. Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        Kirsten, I am so sorry to hear about your father. Trust me, I know very well how it feels living far away from your family. I also know that sometimes being nearby does not help either. You need to be strong for yourself, for him and for your family. It's not easy to do but there is no other way. For me running was a big stress releaser and even when I did not feel like going out for a run when I was in Poland I made myself and never regretted doing so. My thoughts and best wishes are with you. Ewa
        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks everyone! (((group hug))) While over at my hubby's uncle's place an hour away my sister called my cel to say that my dad had had an MRI and MRA. From this they could see that both carotid arteries had blockage with one being almost entirely blocked, so he was taken into surgery this afternoon to clear both. I am still waiting to hear how things went, but did just talk to my sister and it sounds like everything went OK. My mom is pretty stressed, but she's tough. I think her RN background really helps her in medical situations. There is also plenty of family there...my mom's brother and SIL as well as one of my dad's cousins and her son and hubby. My mom described my dad as "not a well man," but from things she said I took this to mean that he will always be at risk for further strokes. His smoking days are definitely over and I would guess that his diet and exercise will need to change, though he's not really inactive and used to coach my soccer team when I was younger, so I know he won't be averse to adding some sort of regular physical activity. The thing that scares me is that my dad's grandpa died from stroke, as did my dad's dad...but they were older--that's what smoking does. Smoking moves these risk factors along faster. There is a strong family history of strokes on my dad's side of the family...this knowledge is one more thing to keep me running, lifting my weights, and watching my weight. Right now my risk factors for stroke are very low, but I'm still a young pup. Thanks again, friends. Knowing that so many others have family members who has survived well after strokes is so reassuring. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

oh no! kirsten i'm so sorry to hear about your father!!! (((((((((((warm hugs))))))))))) Thank goodness it sounds like it was a mild episode...hopefully his recovery is quick and trouble free. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to not be able to really express what he is thinking...in some way, i think that would be worse than being physically debilitated. Will you be able to make a trip back to WI soon to be with your family? is there anything I can do for you, sweet friend? i'm here for you if you need me....Smile ((((((((((more hugs)))))))))))
            shyrunner07

Thanks everyone! (((group hug))) My mom described my dad as "not a well man," but from things she said I took this to mean that he will always be at risk for further strokes. His smoking days are definitely over and I would guess that his diet and exercise will need to change, though he's not really inactive and used to coach my soccer team when I was younger, so I know he won't be averse to adding some sort of regular physical activity.
              hallelujah! While like you said, he will be at risk for future attacks, thankfully, the sooner he gives up the cigarettes, the sooner he can start to reduce his risks to levels that are lower than those held by regular smokers..... btw, my grandpa also had the carotid surgery almost 2 years ago....i remember how scared we were with that procedure- it seemed more white knuckling to us than the actual bypass procedure he also went through. But he pulled through with flying colors and today, he's like a new man! Smile The serious procedures have improved his quality of life immensely. Your dad probably didn't notice too many side effects beforehand, from the blockages, but boy...I bet once his recovery period is over, he will definitely notice how much better he feels! Smile ((((((((hugs)))))))))
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to not be able to really express what he is thinking...in some way, i think that would be worse than being physically debilitated. Will you be able to make a trip back to WI soon to be with your family? is there anything I can do for you, sweet friend? i'm here for you if you need me....Smile ((((((((((more hugs)))))))))))
                I know. Could you imagine if *I* couldn't communicate verbally as well? My dad is just as mouthy as I am...maybe more! I may go back to WI for a few days, depending upon what my mom and dad need. I think my dad will still be in the hospital for a few days, so I'm mostly going to play it by ear. Thanks sweetie! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

btw, my grandpa also had the carotid surgery almost 2 years ago....i remember how scared we were with that procedure- it seemed more white knuckling to us than the actual bypass procedure he also went through. But he pulled through with flying colors and today, he's like a new man! Smile The serious procedures have improved his quality of life immensely. Your dad probably didn't notice too many side effects beforehand, from the blockages, but boy...I bet once his recovery period is over, he will definitely notice how much better he feels! Smile ((((((((hugs)))))))))
                  Oh, I am SO thankful to read this! Thanks friend! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Much belatedly - wishes for speedy recovery and love and friendship to all who are dealing with friends and family and health issues - been there, am there and people will get you through it. That said, MIL who was 82 last month had carotid surgery last fall and flew through it!!! Carotid was almost fully blocked and she came sailing through it and recovered 100% PLUS! good thoughts to all.. lisak
                    Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hang in there, girl! It's been such a tough year for you. *Sending caring thoughts*

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hang in there, girl! It's been such a tough year for you. *Sending caring thoughts*
                        Thanks, friend. That thought has been crossing my mind all day...what if I were to lose my dad so soon after we lost my FIL. Fate can't be that cruel...but a part of me also thinks that if one of us should have lost a father it should have been my dad. He's the idiot who has smoked heavily since long before I was born. Eryn and I were talking and her dad also had a stroke a few years back...very similar risk factors as my dad (heck, we sometimes wonder if they are related). She also felt little sympathy for her dad, but more anger. I feel much worse for my mom. The work of helping him through the recovery period will fall on her shoulders, mainly. k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Kirsten and Carol, You and your families are in my thoughts. Hang in there and take care. Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My dogs are fast, not me

Kirsten, so sorry to hear about your Dad. Hopefully, he recovers quickly. Robin

Robin

How is your dad today? Probably too early to have heard anything...but please keep us posted.

Michelle

Sorry to hear your news. Take comfort in the fact that many here are thinking of you and yours.