Running Twice a day? (Read 773 times)

chriskohlenberg

HI all, Im a CPA, so this time of year its very difficult for me to find time for much more than a 5 mile run most mornings. my question is this....am i getting as good a benefit if i were to add another 5 mile run in the evenings to go along with my morning run....versus keep my morning runs and have a much longer run on the weekends when i have a little time? thanks
      I'm not sure what your choices are, but whatever running you can do is better than the running you can't.
        What are your goals? or what benefits are you looking for? I'm not clear on your post as to what you're doing now and what you want to do? Are you running 5 mi every weekday morning (25 miles) and a "much longer" run on weekend (say, 10 mi) = 35 mpw? You want to change to 5mi in morning and evening and no run on weekend - or still keeping long run? Even without long run, that gives you 50 mpw. The latter is better for total volume and for having a break in work (work day, then 5 mi run, then work nights, which I'm assuming is what you're doing?). The first is better for long runs and building toward longer races. When I was working long hours, I always enjoyed the run as a break before dinner - but that has nothing to do with running benefits.
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          HI all, Im a CPA, so this time of year its very difficult for me to find time for much more than a 5 mile run most mornings. my question is this....am i getting as good a benefit if i were to add another 5 mile run in the evenings to go along with my morning run....versus keep my morning runs and have a much longer run on the weekends when i have a little time? thanks
          The "versus" confuses me a bit. The way you word it makes it sound ike you would eliminate "a much longer run on the weekend's when i have a little time?" I'm guessing that you meant having a couple shorter runs on weekdays with only one longer one on weekend. In any case, I say go with 2 shorter runs during the week and do a long single when you can. With the disclaimer that I am an admitted contrarian, I think that doubles are fine even if you run fewer than the 70 mpw minimum that so many posters seem to beleive is the gospel, and also if you aspire to run marathons. Of course you have to do some long singles if you want to run well in longer races, but anything that's going to help you run more miles than you would otherwise is a good thing. Are two 5 milers as good as a single 10 miler? Generally not quite as good, but in some cases they might even be better if they improve your ability to recover and your focus is more towards shorter races.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33