Saucony Virrata (Read 442 times)

Fred.Just Fred

The Internut

I just got a pair of the new Saucony Grid Virrata lightweight training shoes and I love them!  My previous faves were the original Saucony Kinvara, in which I ran three PRs, but Saucony changed them and I didn't care for the update.  All is forgiven, however, as the VIrrata is for me, an outstanding shoe.  What's unique about them is that Saucony has been able to make a lightweight, zero-drop shoe and retain the stack height of a standard shoe.  This means being able to run "minimally" and still have the cushioning between foot and surface.  What a great mix.

I used to be a big Brooks fan, but I must say that all of my current running shoes are Saucony:  the Ride (my "go to" shoe) ,the Cortana (plush, distance trainer) and now the Virrata.  Way to go, Saucony!

I'll have days when I don't think I can run a marathon. I'll have a lifetime to know that I did.

My 6 year-old daughter has a pair. They look pretty good but as yet I have not seen adult sizes under $90 so I will stick with Kinvara 2's and Mirage 2's that can be had for about $55 each at the moment. I look forward to trying the Virrata at some point though.

Runners run

SubDood

My 6 year-old daughter has a pair. They look pretty good but as yet I have not seen adult sizes under $90 so I will stick with Kinvara 2's and Mirage 2's that can be had for about $55 each at the moment. I look forward to trying the Virrata at some point though.

Where can I get a pair of Kinvara 2's for $55? I want to try the Virrata, too, but for $55, I might stock up on Kinvara 2's first!

I second the "Where can I buy Kinvara 2's for $55 question?"  I have run just about exclusively in kinvaras since the 1 and love them.  I've tried a couple other shoes but nothing comes close to my perfect shoe as these do.  That said, the 3's didn't seem to improve anything and they chafe my achilles tendon a bit.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Kalsarikännit

,the Cortana (plush, distance trainer) and now the Virrata.  Way to go, Saucony!

I just want to interrupt so I can point out that no one ever mentions the Cortana, but it is a fantastic shoe. I am in love with it. As far as I can tell, the only downside is that you have to find it on sale, because the price tag is ridiculous.

As for the Virrata, it has a very strange outsole. The Saucony rep I know cautioned against using it on snow or ice.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

hvmorfun

mad cow

FWIW - I got my Kinvara 2s on ebay (new, in box) for $55.  That was about 6 months ago though, and I haven't checked recently.

You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin. But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad. You don't cotton to it. You gotta smack it on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of goodness. Bad dog! Bad dog!

Where can I get a pair of Kinvara 2's for $55? I want to try the Virrata, too, but for $55, I might stock up on Kinvara 2's first!

I found them on Cabelas of all places the other day. Almost bought them but don't really need a new pair and I'm starting to like the Mirage 2 better as my day to day trainer. Occasionally on Zappos too. The Mirage 2 is $55 on running warehouse right now.

update: if you are a size 8 to 9.5 the Kinvara 2 is $49.88 on Cabela's right this moment. No free shipping that I can find so at that price the Mirage 2 is still cheaper and more readily available.

Runners run

The Mirage 2 is $58 on running warehouse tight now.

I checked these out after you mentioned them previously, got a pair at that price, and so far I'm really liking them. I may order a few more pairs.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Yeah so I had a $50 Verizon rebate card burning a hole in my wallet so I just ordered a pair of the Mirage 2 for $49.39 (with RUNBLOG10 promo code).

Now I have a Verizon rebate card with 61 cents left on it...

Runners run

mikey, those are "liquidation" shoes. Coupon code FB15D can be used on them for 15% off.

I jus pulled that trigger for a cool $46.65. Maybe they'd credit back to your rebate card. Smile

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

SubDood

update: if you are a size 8 to 9.5 the Kinvara 2 is $49.88 on Cabela's right this moment.

Thanks for the tip. Great deal. Unfortunately, I'm a 10.5 in Saucony. I'll probably have to splurge and get the Virratas.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I just want to interrupt so I can point out that no one ever mentions the Cortana, but it is a fantastic shoe. I am in love with it. As far as I can tell, the only downside is that you have to find it on sale, because the price tag is ridiculous.

As for the Virrata, it has a very strange outsole. The Saucony rep I know cautioned against using it on snow or ice.

I really like the Cortana as well, and am equally happy wearing them for long or fast training runs. The lugs on the bottom of the Virrata work terribly for me. I'm a forefoot striker and in the 5 mile wear test I did in them the lugs felt like they were trying to penetrate my feet. I can see how they'd be a nice shoe if you had different strike point.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Hadn't heard of the Virratas yet--I may look them up next time. I've been in Kinvaras for several months--first the 2s, then originals, and just got the 3s yesterday. I liked the Kinvara 2s best, so will try to see if I can find close outs online. The 3s are okay, but today it was only 35F out, and my feet felt hot. Never happened in either the 2s or originals, so I'm guessing they made changes in the uppers. I'm hoping they don't suck when the weather gets noticeably warmer.

SubDood

Thanks for the tip. Great deal. Unfortunately, I'm a 10.5 in Saucony. I'll probably have to splurge and get the Virratas.

Woo-hoo! My REI membership dividend showed up today. $34 worth. AND, there is a 20% discount for REI members (code MEM2013). So, I "splurged" and just bought the Virratas from REI at a total cost (including shipping) of $38. (Without the dividend, the 20% discount brings the cost down to $72.)

Picked up a pair of the Virrata finally. Best shoe ever. Where have you been all my life?

Please, Saucony, don't go trying to "improve" them.

(But I know you will, because you can't help yourselves. Alas.)

Runners run