Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Need some help.

Have a race on Saturday.   Didn't get much chance to run this week, but wanted a little speed work to get the legs in the groove and try to get a feel for the pace.  My intent today was a warm up mile, followed by 8-400's and then one mile cool down.  My intended pace was 90-92seconds with a 100m walk between each 400.  Unfortunately, I went too fast...just like in my races.

85s

88s

85s

87s

87s

88s

88s

89s

Even when purposely trying to slow down I still ended up under 90sec.  I'm afraid I'll end up going too fast the first mile on Saturday and petering out at then end.  My goal time is 19:30.  Any suggestions for proper pace and keeping that first mile in check?

Thanks.

Your quarter mile splits look good. If tyou tried to slow down and still bested 90 seconds it just tells me you are in great shape. I am a pretty good pacer but I still run the 1st mile about 10-15 seconds faster than mile 2. In my last race I told myself to take it easy for the 1st quarter mile which I had measured out on the course beforehand.  Well even with this easy 1st quarter mile wouldn't you know I still ended up hitting the mile mark in 6:24 a record best mile time for the year. So by all means start out the 1st 90 seconds slow and you still will come in with a good time.

I absolutely agree with you that interval times are not really good predictors of race times.  In fact, the best way to know how fast you can race a 5k is to race a 5k.  5k are not like Marathon, you can run it very often.  I think it is not worth it to use a lot of effort to estimate how fast you can run.  Just race it and see what you can achieve.

In fact, in the last 2 years, my interval times stay pretty much the same( 3:05 to 3:10 for 1/2mile, ~3:55/1k, etc), but my 5k times have improved almost 2 min, from 21+ to 19+.

I think it is a better idea to incorporate interval into the training by following the guidelines from Jack Daniels of Pfitz, such as using 3k to 5k race times, running 3-5 min intervals, and having adequate recovery time in between.  Jack Daniels advocate close to the running time of the interval for recovery while Pfitz specifies 50% to 90% of the running time.  I usually use the Pfitz recovery time because I normally run my intervals slower at 5k race time.

First let me say that workouts are not always the best predictor of races. That said, here are some of my thoughts and data...

I absolutely agree with you that interval times are not really good predictors of race times.  In fact, the best way to know how fast you can race a 5k is to race a 5k.  5k are not like Marathon, you can run it very often.  I think it is not worth it to use a lot of effort to estimate how fast you can run.  Just race it and see what you can achieve.

Amen

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Mobram, looks like you are ready for some Fall racing. That hilly one coming up sounds like a good one to race, but challenging too. Hope there's a couple flat 5k's coming up for you in the next couple months as well. A nice 50 degree morning on one of those will be sweet.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...nice 50 degree morning on one of those will be sweet.

Yeah, we raced this morning, and it felt kinda cold before the race, but boy that was nice weather for the racing.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Some of you guys were talking about splits and going out too fast. Take a look at AP's splits today with a very strong finish. Nice race.

MoBramExam

Had seen that.  Solid.  Now, that's how to run a third mile.

MoBramExam

Squeaked one in today.  19:57.  Second Overall and a winner in AG.  Got into a real race with a superior runner who beat me by 0:12 seconds.  (He had beat me by 0:26 on 7/4/09).  Three lead changes during the race, and some stride for stride stuff in mile three.  Going out and trying to improve and running PRs is one thing.  This was a different feeling and this was FUN!!  Here's the race report:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/bb6c497b284b43409db3c4ace52839f3/workouts/61fe51078da54505a516d523189467e9

Vappy

Sounds like the best type of race! Congrats on sub 20:00.

Squeaked one in today.  19:57.  Second Overall and a winner in AG.  Got into a real race with a superior runner who beat me by 0:12 seconds.  (He had beat me by 0:26 on 7/4/09).  Three lead changes during the race, and some stride for stride stuff in mile three.  Going out and trying to improve and running PRs is one thing.  This was a different feeling and this was FUN!!  Here's the race report:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/bb6c497b284b43409db3c4ace52839f3/workouts/61fe51078da54505a516d523189467e9

Good job. Hilly with lots of turns. You're gonna have a good Fall.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...  This was a different feeling and this was FUN!!  Here's the race report:

That sounds like a great experience -- but, what's a "Sister Kisser" ?

Congratulations!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

BTW, Quint, you're getting the miles in, and the long runs -- nice job Smile

What a weird weekend.

Race Saturday turned out to be 50% rough hilly trails, 30% pasture and 20% packed gravel.

A disappointing 25:11 finish.  But first overall in the 5k.  Smile

As soon as I got home I searched the internet for another race on Sunday because I didn't want to leave the weekend with that time.

Raced again on Sunday with traditional flat road course.  19:21 finish.  2nd overall, 1st in age group.  PB by 17 seconds and feeling much better. 

Detail reports in my log.

Nice job MoBram.  Congrats on the sub-20...again.  You're going to smoke one if you can find a flat course.

MoBramExam

Nice weekend, GOF.  A PR & and an overall win.  The trophy case is filling up quickly?

That sounds like a great experience -- but, what's a "Sister Kisser" ?

A-P, 2nd Place = No Thrill.