Treadmill Douche-baggery? (Read 942 times)

Feeling the growl again

Dude it takes a couple of minutes is all.

My search abilities are clearly no match for yours.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The guy I don't get is the one who puts the incline up to 10 but then leans back while holding onto the console with both hands and walks "uphill". Is this basically a forearm workout?

I saw this yesterday.  The guy was also wearing LL Bean boots and a HUGE pair of Coca-Cola pajama bottoms.

I laughed out loud.

The January gym is so bad - it's good.

Ready, go.

The guy I don't get is the one who puts the incline up to 10 but then leans back while holding onto the console with both hands and walks "uphill". Is this basically a forearm workout?

I saw a Julienne Michael's commercial last night having a walking treadmill with a 40% incline.  It looked like climbing a roof of a house and handrails were required to stay on the machine.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I saw a girl who pulled up her big, baggy t-shirt and wrapped it over the treadmill console to hold herself to it after her arms were apparently exhausted from doing so.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Dude it takes a couple of minutes is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVso_DFTL7k

The gold of that video is the camera-woman commenting "but your arms are swinging" and he abruptly jumps off the 'mill to wrap things up.

I love that he left that in.  Total troll.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TripleBock

Definately this

The January gym is so bad - it's good.

The other thing that bothers me is when people (Weight machines) get done with their set and sit on the machine for 90-150 seconds until they do their next set.  So basically they tie up a machine for 6-8 minutes to do 1.5 minutes of working out  ... didn't people learn to share in kindergarten?

The other night I had done one set, got up so I was not hogging it between reps and woman sat down, but when I politely asked to work in between her sets, she refused and gave me the stink eye.

I usually do 2 things together, so when I am resting the one muscle I am working a different one + it saves time.  But even if I am not, I will get up and stand a reasonable distance away in case someone wants to work in.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

onefatchick

The other thing that bothers me is when people (Weight machines) get done with their set and sit on the machine for 90-150 seconds until they do their next set.  So basically they tie up a machine for 6-8 minutes to do 1.5 minutes of working out  ... didn't people learn to share in kindergarten?

The other night I had done one set, got up so I was not hogging it between reps and woman sat down, but when I politely asked to work in between her sets, she refused and gave me the stink eye.

I usually do 2 things together, so when I am resting the one muscle I am working a different one + it saves time.  But even if I am not, I will get up and stand a reasonable distance away in case someone wants to work in.

Where I work out at it doesn't seem to be standard protocol to walk away from a machine between reps to give someone else a chance to use that machine.  When someone is done using a machine, the management wants you to wipe down the machine with disinfectant before the next person(most folks follow the rule).  It seems that by the time I get done with wiping down the machine for the next person I could be on to my next set.  So I prefer to just hog the machine till I'm finished with all three sets of reps and just wipe down the machine once rather than three times.

"Go T-Rex"... :-)

I still say you aren't doing proper treadmill training until you are doing 25+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiM66u9frPg

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Arimathea

Tessa

A few years ago I checked into the Standard Hotel in LA, which was memorable for lots of bizarre reasons, but mostly because I went to use the hotel's gym and do a few miles on the mill. After I was at it for a while, some skinny little dude (who was probably a semi-famous rocker, he had the look, and it was the Standard circa 2004) comes in, dials up the mill next to me to some pretty fast speed, then hops on, only to be projected into the wall about 2 ft behind the mill. I saw this out of the corner of my eye and heard the resulting splat over my iPod. Apparently, he wasn't satisfied with his first effort as he proceeded to hop on it again and be projected into the wall once again. That made me stop and look. He then slunked out of the gym. That was solid gold.

The one downtown? With the pool and the bar and the waterbeds on the roof? If the most memorable part of your stay involved running on the gym's treadmill, you missed out on a lot of possibilities. It's an unusual Saturday night when someone doesn't decide an impromptu skinny dip is a good idea.

Feeling the growl again

The gold of that video is the camera-woman commenting "but your arms are swinging" and he abruptly jumps off the 'mill to wrap things up.

I love that he left that in.  Total troll.

Yeah he bailed like 2sec after the treadmill reached 7mph, just like he bails from any real challenge to anything he says/does.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

jfa

The one downtown? With the pool and the bar and the waterbeds on the roof? If the most memorable part of your stay involved running on the gym's treadmill, you missed out on a lot of possibilities. It's an unusual Saturday night when someone doesn't decide an impromptu skinny dip is a good idea.

I'm doing this ALL WRONG.

"Go T-Rex"... :-)

I still say you aren't doing proper treadmill training until you are doing 25+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiM66u9frPg

The "Go T-Rex" cheers are the best part in my opinion.  She sounds so ridiculously disinterested - and then she busts him.

Ready, go.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I openly describe the treadmill as the most misused, misunderstood, and underutilized part of any training program. I've seen everything described so far, only missing the member who cranks the machine to its highest incline levels but holds on the handles while they walk or run to maintain the balance and completely negate the incline training benefits.

Many machines have weak motors, and suggest you straddle the machine until the belt starts moving, and some even have sensors in the side rails requiring you to start that way. Industrial strength machines easily have the torque to start while standing on the belt.

If you're looking for some training advice for how to use the equipment properly, I can easily suggest the training techniques which actually work to improve your running skills...

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feeling the growl again

I love it when people set up Google alerts on themselves.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Treadmill Roulette

- you find a "buddy"

- identify his speed and up the ante

- he must to match your ante

- you can't up the ante again until he ups it

- first person to quit or reduce their speed loses

Double points if you beat him at his ante.

In my work traveling days I definitely did this. Bonus when you're staying at a swanky hotel!

You people have issues