RA Status: update 2 (Read 422 times)

eric :)

Update 2

I set up a temporary file server.  It should allow you to upload your gps data again.  Once the elevation data is also offline, you won't get elevation corrections.  You can also upload a new avatar if you like.

I'll be working on restoring the failed disks.  I might have to bring down the site in order to work on the array, so don't freak out if RA is unreachable.  Thank you for your patience.

Update 1

I traced the problem to the corrupt disk array.  The array is currently offline.  I am looking into bringing it back up.  It stores all the files used on RA, including your GPS data, avatars, elevation etc, maps, etc.  For now, you won't have access to the files.  I am still assessing the damage.  I have a backup copy of the data on the new backup server.  I should be able to reconstruct all of the data minus 24 hours.  I will keep you posted.

I won't have time to answer support requests for now.  If someone asks why certain things aren't working, please let them know what happened.  Thanks!

Hi all,

I am looking into the intermittent failures.  The problem started at around 8:20 EDT.  I don't know if it has any significance.  I traced the problem to the database.  It is complaining about too many connections from the web servers.  It could be:

- the database is malfunctioning and not releasing connections

- the web servers are not releasing the connections due to an error

- there is too much traffic coming in, which is causing the web servers to create extra connections

I've shut down one of the web servers to reduce the number of connections.  It won't fix the problem, but would alleviate the symptoms to buy me more time to track it down.

eric Smile

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, Eric!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Imminent Catastrophe

Trying to access my log:

Fatal Error

An unexpected error occurred while processing your request. If this problem persists, please contact me.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

Best of luck figuring it out.  On the usability aspect, from my end I get errors more than I get through (4 attempts to navigate to this page to be successful, this will be first attempt to actually post this).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

anneb

I am sometimes able to get on, but have not been able to upload any runs. Is this related to the same problem? I'll just sit tight I guess.

Anne

HermosaBoy

Looks like you got it fixed?

Smile

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Did you try just yanking the plug and plugging it back in? I bet that will fix it!!!

What, too soon? Big grin

Thanks for all you do Eric!!!!

It looks like the problem is on the web server side.  They kept asking for more connections to the database even though they have plenty.  I'm not sure why it is happening since the code did not change during the upgrade.  As a temporary fix, I increased the maximum number of connections by a lot to buy more time.  RA should be ok for now...

Docket_Rocket

It is working for me now. One question: are the lack of pictures permanent?

It looks like the problem is on the web server side.  They kept asking for more connections to the database even though they have plenty.  I'm not sure why it is happening since the code did not change during the upgrade.  As a temporary fix, I increased the maximum number of connections by a lot to buy more time.  RA should be ok for now...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Eric, apologies if somebody has already let you know, but Garmin import from file is not working -- either hanging or returning an error message.

Thanks for all of your work. The only thing you can count on is that these never, ever go as planned!

Eric, apologies if somebody has already let you know, but Garmin import from file is not working -- either hanging or returning an error message.

Thanks for all of your work. The only thing you can count on is that these never, ever go as planned!

My Garmin import is also not working. I sent a trace earlier, when it was hanging at the "Uploading data to server" stage. Now it appears to import but then goes back to the initial GPS upload screen, with no workout imported.

Ditto on the thanks for all your hard work!

I have found the problem.  The file server's disks are corrupted.  I'm bringing the file server down to see if I can recover the disks.  I can restore the files from backup, but that will take a while.

#artbydmcbride

And my cat avatar is not working!!!     <let's concentrate on the really IMPORTANT issues>

Runners run

runjoelrun

Thanks again for your effort, Eric!

anneb

That does not sound like fun!

I have found the problem.  The file server's disks are corrupted.  I'm bringing the file server down to see if I can recover the disks.  I can restore the files from backup, but that will take a while.

Anne