What celebrity deaths have affected you? (Read 349 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

- Phil Hartman - not mentioned in the previous list of comedians, but a highlight of SNL for many years & hilarious on NewsRadio

His death was so shocking.  I can remember where I was when I heard the news.  Total WTF moment.  RIP, Troy McClure.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Chantilly75

Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison all went within a year and showed us how dangerous drugs/alcohol could be when we were in our teens.

But for a complete shock , it would have to be John Lennon and Phil Hartman.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

AnneCA

John Lennon.  At least, when I read the question, he came to mind immediately.  The surprise and senselessness of it, wondering what he could have done as an artist.

But, really, the answer has got to be Jerry.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Yeah, Phil Hartman definitely falls into the "gone too soon" category, and his place is cemented there by the utter, utter senselessness of his death.

Speaking of which, another one I thought of that I don't know affected me that much emotionally at the time, but only because I wasn't really that aware of how much she did: Princess Diana.  The relevance of the Royal Family today is certainly debatable, and you could easily throw them into the "famous for being famous" pile, but she seemed driven to take that fame and put it toward tangible good in the world.

MTA: Pre.

(sorry, running-related, I know)

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Speaking of which, another one I thought of that I don't know affected me that much emotionally at the time, but only because I wasn't really that aware of how much she did: Princess Diana.  The relevance of the Royal Family today is certainly debatable, and you could easily throw them into the "famous for being famous" pile, but she seemed driven to take that fame and put it toward tangible good in the world.

I thought about that one not so much from the personal impact, but more the shock. I remember finding out about it the old-fashioned way -- picking up the morning paper off the porch and seeing an enormous headline -- and just being in total disbelief.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was just thinking this in the past week.  The whole baby drama wasn't particularly enthralling to me, but that photo comparison of Di and Charles holding baby William contrasted with William and Kate holding their firstborn...it made me a little choked-up.  Diana did a lot of good in a relatively short life and would have been so happy to meet her first grandchild.

I was really sad when a local celebrity passed away in the past year or so, Fred Meijer, enormously wealthy founder of the Meijer store chain.  He was a HUGE patron of the Arts and a philanthropist who helmed so many projects that have greatly benefited our community.  He funded several rails-to-trails conversion projects, botanical gardens, academic institutions...and was just an all-around super nice guy.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

... Princess Diana.  The relevance of the Royal Family today is certainly debatable,.... 

Growing up in Canada and now living in the USA, I'm amazed by how much American's 'love' the British Royal Family.
                Whether it was Queen Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Princess Diana or Prince William or the newest Prince George Alex Louis.

I don't understand why Americans love the British Royals.

(There are other Royal families besides the British, and Americans are supposed to be anti-British from the core.  Yes, I understand that was 220+ years ago, but most things American were setup anti British)

Carry on....

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

RSX

I don't tend to get upset over celebrity deaths since I don't know them. 1 I felt real sad about was former Boston Celtic Reggie Lewis. He went to Northeastern University when I did so got to watch him a lot in person. I still remember giving blood watching the news on tv with the nurses when it was first reported.  He was just 27 and ironically there was an article  in the paper as it was 20 years ago yesterday.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

John Lennon and George Harrison.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

GC100k

GC100k

Diana did a lot of good in a relatively short life and would have been so happy to meet her first grandchild.

She generously took time out of busy yachting and skiing schedule to bravely make speeches against things that no one is for.

Feeling the growl again

http://www.hark.com/clips/bzygbqxvqf-how-silly-the-idea-of-having-a-queen-is-to-us

Before busting on our British friends too much over the royal family, one must remove the Kardashian plank from ones' own eye.

I don't lose sleep over celebrities.  There are a whole lot of good people out there who meeting their ends without a millionth the fuss of celebrities who are often deeply flawed individuals who happen to look or sound good in front of the camera.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Docket_Rocket

I was not affected but I was in shock when she died. I remember it was the same day I bought my new car and I wanted to celebrate when I heard the news.  Everything was sad and in shock.  End of celebration.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Imminent Catastrophe

The last one that I recall was Steve Jobs. A good part of my every day is spent with some Apple device, including right now, conversing with you people. He was the Edison of our generation.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hey, nice marmot!

I was seriously bummed for about three days after I heard Dennis Franz died.  I used to watch that guy every week on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  I heard he was a really good guy as well, donating a lot of time and money to help inner city youth and homeless pets.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens