How much faster do you get by losing 10 lbs? (Read 2053 times)

uncontrollable

Wondering how much faster you got from losing weight. I know this is not an independent variable, since running probably went along with the weight loss, but I haven't seen the data on this anywhere. Just curious, my current pace is 15 mm and I'd like to get down to 4mm in the next month or two. Thanks!
    Regardless of how much faster (which I can't answer) you will feel better as long as it is a healthy BMI & you're eating properly. Whenever I pick up a 5lb bag of sugar - I think of people who say "I ONLY lost 5lbs ..." People need to give themselves more credit.

peace

funny how every time there's a thread on losing weight someone comes along and starts the "don't lose weight its bad for you" cry. or perhaps the "how dare you talk about losing weight - you'll force some poor child to become anorexic" version. provided you do it in a healthy fashion and don't starve yourself losing weight will make you quicker until you get to the point where you can't healthily lose any more weight. most of us are nowhere near that point. from an aesthetic viewpoint most of us would never want to get close to it. as for losing weight just from running? well i'd love to have time to run 70km a day(!!!) but i have a job to do and family i like to occasionally spend some time with. So on my mere 50-60km a week i need to also restrict my calorie intake (marginally) to lose weight. and its very effective. 20lbs lost in a year. 7mins faster over 5k.
      Mr R

Research suggests that amenorrhoea is the result of chronic calorie deficits, rather than body composition. http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/84/1/37 I once posted an article about the risks of amenorrhoea on an old website I had. I posted it out of genuine concern for female athletes, but I received lots of angry emails from female runners. Some of the emails basically indicated that the writers were offended that a man was sticking his nose in the issue. Other emails simply claimed, contrary to the research I published, that if you had your period, then you weren't training hard enough.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

well, here is something scientific to base this question on. When I was 20ish and weighed about 140lbs, I ran a 21 min. 5K. Now 27 years later and 100 lbs heavier, I expect to finish the 5K on saturday in about 36 minutes. That is an increase of 15 minutes for 100 lbs of weight....so each 10 lbs lost should reduce my time by 1.5 minutes( going forward) Put another way, on Saturday, I am going to run my 5k with a 100lb backpack...ain't know way I can be fast..... Tongue
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

funny how every time there's a thread on losing weight someone comes along and starts the "don't lose weight its bad for you" cry. or perhaps the "how dare you talk about losing weight - you'll force some poor child to become anorexic" version. provided you do it in a healthy fashion and don't starve yourself losing weight will make you quicker until you get to the point where you can't healthily lose any more weight. most of us are nowhere near that point. from an aesthetic viewpoint most of us would never want to get close to it.
            Precisely. I want to lose 15-20#s. I could probably lose at least 5 more than that and still be healthy, but I don't think it would make me significantly faster at that point...and I'm realistic...I struggle to lose 5, so 20 may even be out of the question. Losing weight while running is hard. I wonder how people do it well. For me it's a delicate balance...eat enough to run well and I don't lose. Have enough of a calorie deficit to lose and I don't run well and am hungry all the time. If I just ran an easy pace all the time and didn't "train" I could probably do it, but I'm not just running for fitness, so it really makes it tough.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Pretty much I would say times are going to go down a lot faster the more you run, compared to strictly from weight loss, so just concentrating on running. For those of you looking to lose weight, I can't recommend enough to start some weight training. It might in fact be better than aerobic exercise for weight loss. While you might not lose as much weight (because you are gaining muscle) your body shape is sure to change, which is actually what more people are looking for I believe. Why lift to lose weight gaining muscle mass raises your basal metabolic rate indefinitely. This means that even when you are sleeping, eating, watching tv (not doing exercise) you are burning more calories. Most of us spend a ton more time not exercising right.

A Saucy Wench

Precisely. I want to lose 15-20#s. I could probably lose at least 5 more than that and still be healthy, but I don't think it would make me significantly faster at that point...and I'm realistic...I struggle to lose 5, so 20 may even be out of the question. Losing weight while running is hard. I wonder how people do it well. For me it's a delicate balance...eat enough to run well and I don't lose. Have enough of a calorie deficit to lose and I don't run well and am hungry all the time. If I just ran an easy pace all the time and didn't "train" I could probably do it, but I'm not just running for fitness, so it really makes it tough.
                yeah..as soon as I hit 35-40 hours a week my appetite goes through the roof. I gained weight during the last couple months of marathon training all 3 times (2 marathons, 1 aborted with a sprained ankle from tripping) I felt it 2 weeks ago, I lost wt, but my long run was crap. Last week I had a little binge fest on Saturday and cruised through my long run. I am also lifting weights which will raise my ultimate goal weight but I am in this for all around health. I thought my goal weight might be 120#, but I realized today that with my current lean mass that would put me at a lower bfp than I am comfortable with. Not that I have ever been that low, but I see no need to go that low considering my very very non-elite status.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

yeah..as soon as I hit 35-40 hours a week my appetite goes through the roof.
                  i'm so hoping you meant miles....
                    35-40 hours per week of running would be such a hardcore story, though. Shocked

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I thought my goal weight might be 120#, but I realized today that with my current lean mass that would put me at a lower bfp than I am comfortable with. Not that I have ever been that low, but I see no need to go that low considering my very very non-elite status.
                      I'm maybe a half inch taller than you are and my goal is 123 (I saw 124 for a few weeks a couple of years ago...I looked HOT at that weight)...though that's not written in stone or anything. I was joking to did that I'd like to be 126, that way I can tell people that I'm "9 stone," to honor my 25% Scottish heritage... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

ashares

o shooot! im 5 pounds heavier than my XC seaon. will i seriously be 15 seconds slower per mile?!

A Saucy Wench

Well, I am pretty darn slow sometimes...maybe I only run 60 minute miles. Dead

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Wondering how much faster you got from losing weight. I know this is not an independent variable, since running probably went along with the weight loss, but I haven't seen the data on this anywhere. Just curious, my current pace is 15 mm and I'd like to get down to 4mm in the next month or two. Thanks!
                            My weight fluctuates quite a bit. Currently, I have lost 20 lbs down from 260 to 240 lbs and my time in the 3 mile run has dropped from 36 minutes to 27 minutes. 27 minutes was what I also ran the 3 mile run two years ago. But I ran it then at a much lighter weight of 212 lbs. So I can run as fast at 240 lbs as I did at 212 lbs? The only difference is that this time around, I adopted a more efficient running style[for me]. There appear to be many variables in the equation. Big grin It is a basic law of physics. Less mass takes less force to move at a given speed Smile

SMART Approach

From my own personal experience I have found that when I mix in more intense running, I tend to lose more weight. Granted, I am already pretty lean but about 3 years ago, the plan I created on my 20-25 miles per week did harder training in form of 5-10K paced reps one day and 1 mile-3K paced reps another day, steady another day and slow long run the other day. In January I was 180, when June hit, I was 173 and ripped. This doesn't surprise me as I created a system (F.I.T. Fatburning Interval Training) while in the fitness industry for the clients that really took the fat off while combining resistance training with 60-120 sec. fast intervals on cardio. Well, the above training with fast sustained intervals is not smart training for a low mileage runner. Don't have the aerobic base to support it. It pretty much eroded my base and my times for 5K were good but half marathon not so great and 10K times slowed throughout year. The next couple years, I trained smarter with assistance from Tinman, mixing in a bit of quality but started doing 2 big work outs without no sustained 1 mile to 5K paced reps. I did do 10K paced reps (critical velocity reps). I have never gotten below 175-176 since on same diet and same miles per week. BUT, I PRd two years in a row in all events. My advice is to mix in intervals but keep them shorter like 30-40 sec. so you won't go too anaerobic or up to a minute but not as fast. Mix these in 2-3 days per week. Also, don't do these until you have a solid running base. Or if you do a lot of cross training, throw in intervals on elliptical, bike etc. Or superset, a couple sets of weights with a hard 1 min interval on a cardio piece. Hit them hard. NOTE: The above will not necessarily improve your running performance (it might) and is not recommended for a beginner. For running, too many beginner or low mileage runners focus on speed work. Not recommended in my book if you want to improve running performance. MORE, SLOW MILES with a small touch of quality.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com