Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

My MRA report just characterized it as a "small tear of the anterosuperior labrum" but when the doc went in to fix it, he had to use 3 anchors. Hard to tell for sure how bad it is until they get in there to fix it.

Oh yeah, I should say that was from surgery.  My MRA also said "small tear" and I also ended up needing three anchors (one big anchor and two small, whatever that means).   The MRA is only accurate to a point.

cpresson

I have to say--13.5 weeks post op, I walked a 5K with friends yesterday and did a bit of walking today and my hip feels great Smile Makes me so happy!!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I have to say--13.5 weeks post op, I walked a 5K with friends yesterday and did a bit of walking today and my hip feels great Smile Makes me so happy!!

Great news!

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Hip Redux

Awesome!

I remember the first time I walked a mile post-op.  I was so excited, I took a picture of my Garmin.  lol

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I haven't run since last Tuesday because I was having a teeny bit of butt pain (glut. medius). I saw the doc Wednesday, they gave me some cortisone into the glute medius. It felt pretty good all weekend so I rode the bike easy last night.

Today was fine up until the end of work. My lower back started hurting on the bad hip side, like it used to. So I relaxed in bed andtook ibuprofen. Then, out of nowhere, I started having groin pain and lateral hip pain. WTF? I have ice packs on, took my last norco and some naproxen, too. I don't have anymore heavy drugs. I am so depressed right now. Needless to say, running is not happening this week or maybe next week. This is super disheartening. I mean, I know flareups are bound to happen. I haven't really been pushing crazy hard, considering I am now 21 weeks post op. Anyone else experience this? Help?

Hip Redux

I had groin pain off and on until about the year mark.  But nothing that required anything more than ibuprofen, though.  Sad   However, I was not able to run without pain until about the 8-9 month mark, no way could I have done it at 5 months when I was officially "cleared".   So you may just need more time.   Sorry, I know it's frustrating, but you will get there!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I had groin pain off and on until about the year mark.  But nothing that required anything more than ibuprofen, though.  Sad   However, I was not able to run without pain until about the 8-9 month mark, no way could I have done it at 5 months when I was officially "cleared".   So you may just need more time.   Sorry, I know it's frustrating, but you will get there!

I have pretty much come to terms that it's going to take a really long time to actually be running, and probably not like it used to be. I know that I will probably have to take a couple of weeks off (or more) until this flare up resolves. I even sent my doctor a message because this is the worst post op flare I have had so far. I am kind of freaking out a little (what if surgery didn't work? I will drive myself off a cliff I swear lol). UGH.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

It seems to have calmed down. Icing and drugs helped. I will be taking it easy for a while. So frustrating.

cpresson

It seems to have calmed down. Icing and drugs helped. I will be taking it easy for a while. So frustrating.

Sorry Sad It will get there, though!

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Ah-ha. I have realized that (TMI) my, um, period is due in a few days. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I have read lots of ladies have flare ups during that time of the month. Today is a little better, nothing like yesterday but I am icing the beejezus out of it and taking lots of NSAIDs.

Hip Redux

Ah-ha. I have realized that (TMI) my, um, period is due in a few days. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I have read lots of ladies have flare ups during that time of the month. Today is a little better, nothing like yesterday but I am icing the beejezus out of it and taking lots of NSAIDs.

Definitely a connection for some.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

My psoas is super tight, too. I have been trying to stretch it the best I can, but it's so hard to stretch. My hip flexor is a hundred times better, though. lol

Hip Redux

My psoas is super tight, too. I have been trying to stretch it the best I can, but it's so hard to stretch. My hip flexor is a hundred times better, though. lol

The psoas is tough.  I find manual release works better than stretching it, but that requires I go to the massage therapist because I cannot dig around in my abdomen successfully on my own :P

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

The psoas is tough.  I find manual release works better than stretching it, but that requires I go to the massage therapist because I cannot dig around in my abdomen successfully on my own :P

I was using a softball last night to manually release. It makes me slightly nervous because, you know, organs and whatnot. But the softball seemed to really do the trick as I was able to find some trigger points. Whether they were on the abdominal wall or the psoas is arguable.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I also bought a wedge pillow (which I have dubbed the geezer pillow) for my car and my hip feels a lot better after using it for 2 days. There is still a twinge here and there but I think the combo of stretching my psoas and using the geezer pillow has been the key. My surgeon was ready to order a lumbar MRI because he was concerned about the back pain but after I told him it was better today he said to hold off on the MRI. Maybe I will actually be able to do some time of exercise tomorrow. lol