Alcohol intolerance related to higher mileage? (Read 313 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

With regards to the original question, I find my tolerance goes UP with  marathons.  I can drink like a fish following a marathon and barely get tipsy, where my normal tolerance is not much

I feel the same way.

steph  

A Saucy Wench

Now I know where all that Yazoo goes after Monkey.

Duh.  I told you to double up on the Dos Perros

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

With regards to the original question, I find my tolerance goes UP with  marathons.  I can drink like a fish following a marathon and barely get tipsy, where my normal tolerance is not much

This may have something to do with a) I consume a fair bit of liquid during marathons and am not a terribly heavy sweater, I usually end up craving salt.  I may be overhydrating.  And b) I crave fat and protein after a marathon, not really carbs.  Fat slows alcohol absorbtion pretty well.

My tolerance for alcohol is fairly low no matter what.  I may just be sensitive to it or maybe it has to do with having a low BMI (17.4).  One drink makes me chatty and happy.  Two drinks and I am snoring off in the corner somewhere.

So yesterday I did a 15 mile run, drank a ton of water and got a headache even without drinking any alcohol.  Woke up this morning and still had the headache.  I might be overtraining on top of everything.  The past three nights I have had a hard time sleeping.  I felt nauseous all day too.  Anyway, I figured I would take a couple days off and start fresh Monday.  I really am kind of out of my league here as far as knowing how to eat and drink properly for the kinds of weekly miles I want to do.  It's going to take me some time to figure out what my body needs.  I might just have to cut out the alcohol until I get the basics figured out.

Leah, mother of dogs

Walk-Jogger

My tolerance for alcohol is fairly low no matter what.  I may just be sensitive to it or maybe it has to do with having a low BMI (17.4).  One drink makes me chatty and happy.  Two drinks and I am snoring off in the corner somewhere.

So yesterday I did a 15 mile run, drank a ton of water and got a headache even without drinking any alcohol.  Woke up this morning and still had the headache.  I might be overtraining on top of everything.  The past three nights I have had a hard time sleeping.  I felt nauseous all day too.  Anyway, I figured I would take a couple days off and start fresh Monday.  I really am kind of out of my league here as far as knowing how to eat and drink properly for the kinds of weekly miles I want to do.  It's going to take me some time to figure out what my body needs.  I might just have to cut out the alcohol until I get the basics figured out.

Just out of an abundance of caution, make sure you aren't drinking too much water now. While drinking too little water can lead to dehydration and a headache, and not much else, drinking too much water can kill you.

From Wiki:

"Symptoms of hyponatremia include nausea and vomiting, headache, confusion, lethargy, fatigue, loss of appetite, restlessness and irritability, muscle weakness, spasms, or cramps, seizures, and decreased consciousness or coma. The presence and severity of symptoms are associated with the level of serum sodium (salt level in the blood), with the lowest levels of serum sodium associated with the more prominent and serious symptoms (the less the salt the more severe the symptoms). However, emerging data suggest that mild hyponatremia (serum sodium levels at 131 mEq/L or above) is associated with numerous complications and undiagnosed symptoms.

Retired &  Loving It

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Good Lord.  Clearly I need adult supervision.

Leah, mother of dogs

zonykel

Good Lord.  Clearly I need adult supervision.

Drink to thirst. You don't have to over do it. To recover the electrolytes, you can drink Gatorade Or some other sports drink. If you don't want all that sugar, you can try Ultima (add the powder to your water... I prefer grape taste).

J.D.

Same here! I am a female averaging 60 mpw and I woke up the other morning with a headache and trouble balancing after half of a cider! I did hydrate well earlier that day I might add. I've easily drank 2 or 3 before, but HALF? Training seems to have turned me into a light weight.

Same here! I am a female averaging 60 mpw and I woke up the other morning with a headache and trouble balancing after half of a cider! I did hydrate well earlier that day I might add. I've easily drank 2 or 3 before, but HALF? Training seems to have turned me into a light weight.

Holy crap, girl, you are FAST!

I can't tolerate alcohol much anymore, either but I just thought it was more due to my advancing age hee hee.  Smile

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

A Saucy Wench

Drink to thirst. You don't have to over do it. To recover the electrolytes, you can drink Gatorade Or some other sports drink. If you don't want all that sugar, you can try Ultima (add the powder to your water... I prefer grape taste).

Or you can eat a banana and something salty.  No need for gatorade or Ultima.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7