tight hip flexor (Read 1624 times)

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I'm training for a Nov 6 half marathon.

Last year I ran the same race and in the hours after the race I had trouble walking, because my left hip flexor (I think it is a flexor, just inside of where the quad attaches) locked up.  After a few days it was fine.  No big deal, it was a great race for me.

This year I am running more miles & more consistently, and I have noticed that the same muscle is generally tight.  Even sitting here now it feels tight, almost locked up, and I have trouble consciously relaxing it.  No problem at all on the right side.  When I am running it doesn't seem to be causing me any problems, yet.   It seems to have come about when I started doing faster downhills.

At first I took the feeling as being a good thing, because I was working the muscle that had problems in the race.  However now it is starting to worry me.

What can I do about this before the race? 

Bill Wagnon / stl

I like to do a stretch similar to the one in the picture where the girl is pulling her foot behind her. There's a couple other pictures of hip flexor stretches but that is my favorite for tight hip flexors. Mine get a little tight from time to time and that seems to help mine. The picture is located here. That's all I got.

http://www.fitsugar.com/tag/hip-flexor-stretch

Current Goals: Run and stuff

you gotta stretch those bad boys! as you can see from the link above there are a number of stretches for that area, i usually go with the sitting butterfly stretch.

a little over a year ago i was feeling tightness in that area and i ended up in the E.R. screaming and barely able to walk two nights before a goal race. it turned out to be nothing serious but its not something i want to go through again either. 

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Stretch, or not.

Perhaps there is something inhibiting the normal function. Could be an injury/stress in that area; or, perhaps on the other side (hamstrings/glute); or, even, elsewhere in the body (perhaps opposite shoulder?).

I prefer PNF-type "stretching"... see PNF stretching and GTO (Golgi tendon organ) response explanation as a start. I've seen much greater increase in "flexibility" or range-of-motion doing these types of "stretches" over any form of static stretching. I've also NEVER seen a positive response when trying to (traditionally) stretch an already injured area.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I'm just not a fan of traditional stretching - especially in response to injury.

Liz

pace sera, sera

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Off topic, great profile pic!  Which one is you?

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

Off topic, great profile pic!  Which one is you?

Those are American Indian runners from the back cover of "Indian Running".

http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Running-American-History-Tradition/dp/0941270416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318862561&sr=8-1

"Sees-the-Ground" is the first one on the left.

It's a punny American Indian name.  Smile

Bill Wagnon / stl

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

Stretch, or not.

Perhaps there is something inhibiting the normal function. Could be an injury/stress in that area; or, perhaps on the other side (hamstrings/glute); or, even, elsewhere in the body (perhaps opposite shoulder?).

I prefer PNF-type "stretching"... see PNF stretching and GTO (Golgi tendon organ) response explanation as a start. I've seen much greater increase in "flexibility" or range-of-motion doing these types of "stretches" over any form of static stretching. I've also NEVER seen a positive response when trying to (traditionally) stretch an already injured area.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I'm just not a fan of traditional stretching - especially in response to injury.

Thanks Buzzie.  Actually I have had some problems with my opposite shoulder - a rotator cuff inflammation or something.  I have not performed stretching exercises as it seems I should be able to get the appropriate range of motion from ordinary activities.  Your links look useful.

Bill Wagnon / stl

I had troubles with my hip flexors after having my son. Something about carrying him for 9 months stressed out my hip flexors. After, I couldn't run because my back would ache, and my groin on the left side. This webpage saved my bacon and I'm training again. It has a few kinds of psoas stretches and trigger point release methods. 

http://www.calmmindpainfreebody.com/painfreebody/hipflexorstrategies/hipflexorstrategies.html

I'm wondering if maybe you have something going on with another muscle? The pectineus can cause major pain and trouble in the groin area too. 

Why is it sideways?

I highly recommend these stretches. I have been doing them recently, and seem to have gotten looser and developed more power and fluidity in my stride.

http://www.therenkenscenter.com/videos/Hip_Flexor_Mobilization_A_+_B_+_C.html

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Those are American Indian runners from the back cover of "Indian Running".

http://www.amazon.com/Indian-Running-American-History-Tradition/dp/0941270416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318862561&sr=8-1

"Sees-the-Ground" is the first one on the left.

It's a punny American Indian name.  Smile

The book looks interesting but pricy ($100).

MTA: Would "Carpe Terrum" be another way to express the name?  I kinda like that; maybe I'll seize it for myself.

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

Used it's about $30

I borrowed it from the library.  The framework of the book is covering modern Indian runners around a series of runs between Indian settlements. The best parts in my opinion are the history of running in Indian culture and the stories of individual runners from 100+ years ago.

Bill Wagnon / stl

12-week layoff

May not be tight.  May be weak.  Might want to google exercises for strengthening your hips, as that can cause knee and ankle problems.  I visited a PT for runner's knee and a weak ankle, and turns out both hips were weak.