The Hunger Games (books & movies) (Read 907 times)

mikeymike

By the way, Rue points out the hive in the movie.

Runners run

i confused myself--is that how it was in the book? I do know in the book Katniss warns Rue about what she is about to do allowing Rue to move away.

mikeymike

Yeah she points it out in both the book and the movie.

I hate myself a little for being so sure of that.

Runners run

My 14-year-old was unperturbed.  In fact, she has since turned 15 and  is still annoyingly nonchalant about the lack of any realistic census data for the imaginary nation, Panem.

For what it's worth, the lack of census data and governmental detail in Alice in Wonderland is really appalling. I mean, a pack of cards ruling an entire world?

Please.

xor

Stop smoking caterpillars

Yeah she points it out in both the book and the movie.

I hate myself a little for being so sure of that.

But in the book she points it out to warn Katniss, and then Katniss comes up with the plan. In the movie the attack is Katniss's idea.

xor

But in the book she points it out to warn Katniss, and then Katniss comes up with the plan. In the movie the attack is Katniss's idea.

No, in the movie, it is pretty clear that The Little Girl is outright telling her to drop it on The Mean Kids.

No, in the movie, it is pretty clear that The Little Girl is outright telling her to drop it on The Mean Kids.

ugh. yeah thats what I meant to say. In the book the attack is Katniss's idea.

xor

The President of this nasty place was both Hawkeye Pierce AND Bill Bowerman.

Sweet.

(and the bad guy in Eye of the Needle)

The Fancy People in the movie all seem to shop in the same store and get their hair cut in the same place as the folks from The Fifth Element.

bhearn

ugh. yeah thats what I meant to say. In the book the attack is Katniss's idea.

I don't think that's totally clear. Rue doesn't make the sawing motion in the book, but the implication might be obvious. Also, in the morning, while the nest is still attached, she points it out again -- as if to say, hey, don't you get it? The biggest difference is that in the book, Katniss cuts most of the branch during the anthem, to mask the noise, then waits until morning to finish it. Also the tracker-jackers are sedated by smoke in the evening, but coming out of it in the morning, thus Katniss' stings.
                        Okay, now I'm not sold on the idea of seeing the movie. It drives me bonkers when things are changed.
                        bhearn

I would say very little was changed. Everything that was changed was just done in the interest of fitting the time format. It's about as good an adaptation as I can remember seeing.

Actually, one overall change was this: the book is written in the first person, which means we are limited to what Katniss experiences. This is not true in the movie; some scenes had to be completely manufactured. But they were all done in a way that's perfectly consistent with what one would expect from the book.

Way more was changed in, e.g., the Lord of the Rings movies, which people seemed to love anyway (though they drove me crazy).

xor

Interesting.  Although I noticed changes, LotR didn't bug me at all.  Harry Potter was a mix.  Some stuff got left out that I missed.  A LOT of stuff got left out (two examples: much more Rita Skeeter in 4 and a whole lot of IM PISSED OFF teen angst in 5) that I was happy to not see. I didn't notice too many outright changes. Some.

Which brings us to the WTF sci-fi/fantasy adaptation of all time: Dune.

NOOOOOOOOOO.

"run" "2" "eat"

that sci-fi movie where charlton heston pops the river in half was fairly true to the book, if i remember correctly.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

bhearn

Okay, now I'm not sold on the idea of seeing the movie. It drives me bonkers when things are changed.

The biggest problem with the movie -- by far -- is the gratuitious camera shake. This was taken to an entirely new level. We're not just talking POV shots running through the woods during the games. It starts immediately, random shots in District 12. Why??

I'd actually like to watch it again, but if I do, I'll definitely sit in the very back.