If you could put up to 3 Bumper Stickers on your Car, what would they be? (Read 410 times)

A Saucy Wench

Well, my mom is gay and my dad was gay and they married eachother and had me .  had me and then got married.  I dont know what kind of marriage that was.

Is there a bumper sticker for that?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

joescott

Damn, the thread went this direction, which is not what I had hoped!  --- .... .  Equality, that is all....

Oh, come on, Duke.  Surely you cannot be that naïve, or expect us to be.  And then you launch into two paragraphs about your political points of view.  You post some interesting topics for discussion from time to time, but to say that you had no intention to light a political or religious bonfire....  I am very skeptical.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh, come on, Duke.  Surely you cannot be that naïve, or expect us to be.  And then you launch into two paragraphs about your political points of view.  You post some interesting topics for discussion from time to time, but to say that you had no intention to light a political or religious bonfire....  I am very skeptical.

My thought exactly.

steph  

Village people

Interesting. Here is one I liked.

NHLA

A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bike.

I figured I'd get that response once I did post my thoughts in that last post.  Was not at all my original intention though when I made the thread.   I was 100% curious on what kind of stickers folks would put on their cars, what folks' favorites would be and hoping to see some funny ones.   As is, seems folks have run out of cool bumper stickers to chat about so I'm out.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Yooper3.1

And now, in modern times, folks are fighting for equality in marriage.  If 2 men love each other very much, or 2 women do as well and want to spend their lives together and be able to file "married" on their taxes + live as a married couple forever just as another loving couple would, then seems they should have that right.  I'd put up the argument that even though there is resistance against it now, over time it will be just as acceptable as blacks not being slaves and women having the right to vote.  Equality, that is all....

Maybe a better bumper sticker would be "Redefinition", instead of "Equality".  In order to a make a case for gay "marriage" on the grounds of equality, one first has to establish that gay "marriage" is marriage and therefore entitled to be treated the same (i.e., entitled to equality).  It appears that you're defining marriage simply as two people "lov[ing] each other very much," which is contrary to the understanding of marriage that has existed from the dawn of history until only very, very recently.  From where does your definition of marriage come?  Why are you limiting it to 2 men or 2 women?  What if 3 women who love each other want to marry each other?  Or 3 men and 1 woman?  And what interest does the state have in promoting your definition of marriage (apparently not the upbringing of children, as in the case of traditional marriage).

In any event, one can't make the case for Equality without Redefinition.

bhearn

Yawn. Guess what, it's 2013. We don't have to go over all that crap again. Been there, done that, we won, get over it.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I want a bumper sticker that says "hold on playa, I'm a anteater".

You people have issues 

In any event, one can't make the case for Equality without Redefinition.

Fine. To-may-to, to-mah-to. Whatever you want to call it, an increasing number of Americans are disagreeing with your position, and an increasing number of states are changing laws accordingly via various legal processes. Marriage laws have been redefined in various ways throughout history, regarding divorces, interracial relationships, whether you can marry your cousin, etc. You can argue that this one is different, but each one always is. And the wheels seem to be in motion on this one.

I would have never expected the changes to happen as fast as they are now, but seems inevitable in the long term if you just look at demographics. The older generation is strongly opposed, middle-agers are 50/50, and to the majority under 30 it is a no brainer.

Dave

Yooper3.1

We don't have to go over all that crap again. Been there, done that, we won, get over it.

When have we "go[ne] over all that crap"?  I've never ever gotten answers from any gay "marriage" proponent to the questions that I posed to KL Duke.

What do you mean by "we won"?  There are still 35 states that explicitly limit marriage to one man and one woman.  The recent Supreme Court decision in Perry had no effect on these laws and much of the Windsor decision probably supports them.

bhearn

When have we "go[ne] over all that crap"?  I've never ever gotten answers from any gay "marriage" proponent to the questions that I posed to KL Duke.

My point is, nationally, we have had this conversation, we've been over all those issues. Yes, not all states allow gay marriage yet, but the writing is on the wall.

I don't feel the need to participate in a senseless rehash in a running forum; please take it somewhere else.

Yooper3.1

Marriage laws have been redefined in various ways throughout history, regarding divorces, interracial relationships, whether you can marry your cousin, etc.

I can see that you're missing the point.  This isn't just a redefinition of "marriage laws," as you call it but a redefinition of marriage itself.

Yooper3.1

I don't feel the need to participate in a senseless rehash in a running forum.

OK, then don't participate.

I've been drinking, so entertain what I consider my "bigger picture thinkin' " for a minute.  Well, small picture and big picture at the same time.

A colony of ants.  Yes, a colony of ants.  Do they have the ability to reason?  No.  Do they think about what may be their gods and the etc?  No.  Do they think about any complex issue, or think at all?  No.

But yet every ant in that colony gets fed, every ant in that colony feds its queen to the fullest with no reservation, and each ant fills its' role, whether it be collector, defender, the etc.  The colony runs flawlessly.  An attack?  The defenders do their job always.  Never any doubt or moral dilemma.  The colony needs food?  The gatherers bring it in, and no ant is above another, they all get the food they need.  All are Equal. No color, no marriage disputes, no religious disputes.....

What is my point?  Sh1!t, I don't know, I have been drinking!

But... It does want to make me ask how ants, simple as they are, get the job done, ALWAYS.  No questions, no conflict.

Humankind on the other hand has gotten much wiser and knowledgeable over the millenia, yet we find oursleves in a place of ever increasing complexity.  Disputes between new religions?  Ever complicated computer software and the etc?  Even the ever complicated tax codes of the USA and most countries?    Your average Psychologist for example.  With all that wisdom about relationships, are most of them married, or have most of them been through a divorce?!  (A bit of a rhetorical question).

So my bigger picture (yet smallest picture) thinking:  As humankind gets ever wiser and technological, are we any better off at all?

(((Hey, if we are gonna turn this from a bumper sticker thread to a debate thread, might as well go all in!))   I blame the beer... And I probably will not remember typing this in the morning... Another thing that Ants do not concern themselves with....

Opinions?  (Why not!)  Big grin

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞