If you have nothing better to do today (Read 945 times)

Dean Karnazes has been hailed as America's best runner
    Yeah, by people who know nothing about running.

Runners run

Scout7

Best is a stretch there.....

Sine Metu

The clock on the page and the "live" clock are inconsistent. Pretty cool though, I forgot that this was going on today.

A lot of pressure in the middle of those shoulders / And we ain't gettin nothing but older / Ain't nothing change but the day we run from / But nobody knows that better than you,huh

Mishka-old log

There's a thread on letsrun.com by the Dean-haters about how much he keeps using the front rail while running. It's prohibited by the official rules for recognition of any kind of records. How does he not know that?
            There's a thread on letsrun.com by the Dean-haters about how much he keeps using the front rail while running. It's prohibited by the official rules for recognition of any kind of records. How does he not know that?
            He's probably too busy checking himself out in the mirror. Anyone read his book?

Sack up and run.

I wanna know what kind of pace he's running. Very interesting about the front rail situation. He is definitely holding onto it quite a bit. Interesting indeed...

Sack up and run.

Eryn

I've read his book. I actually enjoyed it (MUCH to my surprise). His WS100 race report takes up a lot of it, as well as his 200 mi solo relay. The book gets pretty dramatic in a few places, but hey, when I have stories of ultras to tell one day, you bet I'll make it dramatic. I don't think he's America's best runner (Matt Carpenter here in CO gets my vote) but he certainly is a great runner.

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

He's probably too busy checking himself out in the mirror. Anyone read his book?
                  I did. It was interesting, but by the end I was like "I get it, you are awesome, you think you're awesome, and you think everyone should think you're awesome."
                  2009: BQ?

madness baby

Wait, he's not even on there. Where'd he go? I guess he's ahead on miles. 38 mins left.
                    deb
                      Well clearly this Accelerade stuff doesn't work. One mile shy. Meanwhile in Indianapolis, some of America's actual best runners were competing in the T & F national championships. Good 10,000 last night, despite the heat...

Runners run

Correction. Looks like he ran about 128 miles, not 1 MILE short of the treadmill record, but 1 MARATHON short. Like a lot of things related to Karno, the spin is a bit misleading, though is not an outright lie. The wesite says he, "completed a distance equivalent to the total of five marathons, just one shy of the record."

Runners run

It's funny reading the anti-Dean venom on other boards.. Some people really hate this guy! I think he's a self-promoting windbag, too... but 128 miles is about 122 more than I ran yesterday, so my hat's off to him.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Mishka-old log

Here's my opinion on Karno (not that anybody asked). I'm seriously impressed by what he's able to accomplish. 128 miles in one day? Wow. That's not even his PR...he's done 147.96, and held the world record when he did that. A lot of runners say, "well, if I trained for it, I could run 9:45 pace all day too." No, you probably couldn't. That argument gets nowhere with me. Until you try it, and do it, don't bring that kind of argument. That's where I stand on his actual accomplishments. On the other hand, he's arrogant as hell and has no problem with that. America's Greatest Runner? C'mon. Where did that come from? Whether he appointed himself to that post, or some marketing media did...there's nothing further from the truth. I could finish a marathon and have 1 or 2 beers down before he crossed the line...and I'm not even close to being an elite marathoner. I know the marathon isn't the most relevant comparison...it's too short for Dean. But at the same time, it's about 25 miles too long for me. Whatever. Can I blame the guy for knowing what aspects of running will entertain the average American? No. That's not his doing. If I could earn a living through running in the same means, I'd sure as hell do it. What I can blame him for is accepting and even encouraging the praise he gets without recognizing the pros who could run circles around him in any even that's not a niche event.
                              Karno's one of those people who had an endurance ability that needed categorization so he made himself a runner. It's kind of like how David Blaine is a magician. Or how Criss Angel made himself a MindFreaker. We all know that sitting underwater for a week isn't magic, it's about training and endurance, but we still call Blaine a magician. Technically, Karno is running but it's something else too. There was a (very marginal) category of conceptual, performance art created in the 70s called endurance art and this sort of fits into that bill as well. Especially the performative aspect -- he didn't just go after breaking the record in private. He did it publicly, which is part self-promotion (and accelerade-promotion) and part performance. No, I'm not saying he's an artist, but I am saying he doesn't fit neatly into the box of runner. Which probably means he's not "the world's greatest runner." Karno probably would have just been a sideshow act in a less heavily capitalist society, but he has the whole PR machine working. What I learned from this: Accelerade will make me run one fewer marathon than my goal. My goal is one marathon. No Accelerade for me!
                              2008 Goals
                            • Run 1250 miles
                            • Get down to 135!
                            • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon