ow ow ow ow! (stupid knee) (Read 655 times)

shyrunner07

holy moses, i'm starting to think i did something to really mess up my knee last week. Sad At first it was simply an off and on kind of thing...but ever since saturday, it's pretty much been downhill. I'm fine if i am laid up on the couch with my leg propped up on a pillow and wrapped in ice. The minute i stand up, or attempt to walk, it's not a good thing. I get this sensation that my knee is twisting or going to roll in/over, and the top of my tibia (inside part of the leg) still feels like it was smacked something fierce. Dd wanted to go outside and play today, and dh was too tired to oblige her , so i hobbled with her down to the park...by the time we set foot back inside the house, i was in full on tears. holding out hope though it shows some sign of clearing up in the next two days, otherwise, it'll be a trip down to the dr for me (one week seems fair enough to wait it out, right?). That thought scares the bejeepers out of me...
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, no! I hope it's just cranky tissue. I worry that what you describe could be a stress fracture from too-much-too-soon. Eryn had that a year ago and the possibility that she could encounter it again terrifies her to this day! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing a little rest won't cure! k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

yikes! what do stress fractures feel like? how do they treat it? If i had that, would i still be able to bend my leg (hurts like hades when i extend it....keeping it bent is relatively okay...)? i tried looking up my symptoms on webmd's checker, just to have some idea of what it *might* be, but nothing seemed to really fit. grr! Tongue *off to pull out another bag of frozen veggies from the freezer*

Dog-Love

I feel like an expert on knees and after I thought I had a temp injury to my knee (RICE helped) I rested for a couple of weeks and kept running on it for 2 more months before getting the nerve up to go to a sports med doctor who referred me to the MRI unit and I had a very common torn meniscus. This can feel alternatively very painful and moderately painful and with the help of ibuprufin can not completely interfere with most sports. Depending upon where youre pain originates it could be a medial or lateral tear. It really hurt when I torqued the knee (kicking a soccer ball) putting my ski boots on. If the meniscus tears in such a way that a flap of tissue forms, this can be severely painful. This flap may relax and it is moderately painful (like a dull pain). Since I wanted to spare my liver the curse of too much ibuprufin, I went through an arthroscopic surgery repair and 4 weeks later I just started running again. Oh...maybe what you have will go away...I hope! Maybe its nothing. I am not really an expert, and maybe its just a pulled muscle.
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          shyrunner07

what does a meniscus tear feel like? do they always do arthro surgery for it or can it sometimes be healed on its own? the pain in my knee is so hard to put into words...when i extend my leg, it feels kinda sorta like the patella is "catching" on something....feels like it should be swollen/water filled, even though it's not. Not to mention that as soon as i move my leg from the bent position, it feels like the knee is going to roll over or give out/buckle... not sure what is up with the tibia pain...i have it in the other leg as well too...
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My MIL and 2 of her siblings had torn meniscus surgery. I'm not sure exactly what sorts of symptoms she had, but I think it was pretty painful. It's also fairly common, I believe. I hope you don't have anything wrong that requires surgery, though.... Sad k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

what does a meniscus tear feel like? do they always do arthro surgery for it or can it sometimes be healed on its own? the pain in my knee is so hard to put into words...when i extend my leg, it feels kinda sorta like the patella is "catching" on something....feels like it should be swollen/water filled, even though it's not. Not to mention that as soon as i move my leg from the bent position, it feels like the knee is going to roll over or give out/buckle... not sure what is up with the tibia pain...i have it in the other leg as well too...
                Arthroscopic surgery is typical for repair of the meniscus. The catching part you talk about is definitely a symptom but the tibia pain is not. I found the pain most intense when I stood on the bad leg and tried to do a knee bend. I also had a dull throbbing pain all through the night even when my leg was not being used. I also am pretty sure I felt in when I did it which was on a trail run. I am really glad I went and got it looked at when I did. And I am more than thrilled to get back to even small runs. Best of luck
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)