When the running's not conversational and the walkers walk side by side... (Read 621 times)

Now that was a bath...

Yesterday I was running and two walkers were coming towards me on the pavement. I kept an eye on them waiting for them to see me but within a few metres I realised they weren't looking ahead and that I was heading in a direct line for the larger lady on the left. Now I admit, I am in recovery training and I probably shouldn't finish my run with a sprint, but I did, and this left me unable to shout to give them warning and unwilling to move as I was running to the max and only about 15 metres from my home. I had absolutely no intention of stopping as my time was looking pretty good and I was hoping to beat my previous run on this route and I didn't have time to process a better solution (like moving around them) as every single ounce of my focus was on the run and I honestly thought they would see me. Juat as I reached the hit zone I clapped my hands really loudly (it was an instant decision, not backed up by intelligence) and this did in ideed cause the lady walker to jump out my way at the last minute. As I ran on, I couldn't help but think that they thought I was a little crazy though. Sometimes I get tempted to shout 'Runner', but for some reason that feels silly too. Like I am stating the obvious. Although I do run past a garden where a dog chases me and barks and I have solved that problem by calling 'runner coming through' when I get about two houses away from his. Now he knows that I am coming he doesn't seem to find me so exciting. I feel stupid clapping at the walkers though. If I am treating the pavement like a track I should probably be the one to move - but I honestly thought that they would see me and I left it too late to make a decent move! Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you should have a bicycle horn...beep beep! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

I prefer 'honk honk' - can you imagine!
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        shyrunner07

nah, you just need a car horn or something that will play "la cucaracha" Smile That'd be sweet. Or just a simple air horn. If that doesn't get their attention, who knows what will? Tongue
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

nah, you just need a car horn or something that will play "la cucaracha" Smile That'd be sweet. Or just a simple air horn. If that doesn't get their attention, who knows what will? Tongue
            Ooh, good call! An air horn would make them jump outta their skin! Or maybe one of those annoying things that the ice cream trucks have playing that bell music.... k

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

oh man, if you had that, they might swarm ya!!!! lol
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

oh man, if you had that, they might swarm ya!!!! lol
                Ooh, yeah...good point. Ice cream man music is probably a BAD idea! Though it could be a good speed workout...outrun the POd kids! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Good idea! I'm getting an air horn.
                    Good to see you're back, Claire! Clowning around
                    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, what about jingle bells on your shoes?! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay