Whats a reasonably good race time for a beginner 5k? (Read 1046 times)

Im running my first 5k in about a month, and right now I havent run in about a year. So Im starting training now doing about 2 miles and Im hoping to add a half mile every week. So whats a good goal thats challenging but also reasonable? Im 18.
    2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
      Im running my first 5k in about a month, and right now I havent run in about a year. So Im starting training now doing about 2 miles and Im hoping to add a half mile every week. So whats a good goal thats challenging but also reasonable? Im 18.
      I graduated HS in 1989, now I feel old. Tongue How long does it take for you to do the 2 miles, and are you running that at a comfortable pace?

Michelle

So whats a good goal thats challenging but also reasonable? Im 18.
        It's impossible to give you an answer --- for some, a good goal is crossing the finish line. For a distance runner getting into 5Ks, they might aim for a very competitive time. My advice is ... for your first 5K, your goal should get to get out there, run, and have fun!
        2009: BQ?
          I think that for your first 5k, you should make it your goal to finish and finish strong. To not push yourself too hard in the beginning, but just run as much of the race as you can without walking. And then you will have a time that you can work on beating for your next race.
            Okay. Im just going to run it to get a time and then work from there. Thanks!
            2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.

Go Pre!

Yes, yes yes, just run at a comfortable pace first time out. Maybe do a practice 5K run or 2 to get an idea of how to pace yourself. Oh, and let us know how it goes. unless of course you debut in 19 minutes in which case we don't want you back here...ever... Smile
                Yes, yes yes, just run at a comfortable pace first time out. Maybe do a practice 5K run or 2 to get an idea of how to pace yourself. Oh, and let us know how it goes. unless of course you debut in 19 minutes in which case we don't want you back here...ever... Smile
                Ditto. No showing off!! Big grin

Michelle

No believe me...It's going to be horrible. Like hoping I can finish before they close down, lol